5.7 head-reliable setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

May-39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 head-reliable setup-6.1 retrofit>

2011-5.7 4x4
jbas-intake
Backstory: lifter going

With new stock spec cam, what should I do to heads to make sure I NEVER have this problem again? ( I did search this forum first). I found suggestion and discussion but no "recipe." I'm not sure if all the 6.1 swap talk is pre 09 to current motors or if 6.1 stuff works with our 09+ 5.7 heads.??

Will 6.1 springs-rods and lifters work on the 09+ 5.7 vvt truck?

What lifters-new oem mopars proven reliable?
Springs: OEM-Pac Springs?
6.1 pushrods on both sides (int & Ex?)

My thought is I will clean up/polish exhaust ports, maybe port match to headers. Have local reputable head shop once over, do valves and springs.

I don't drive truck hard enough to justify vvt cam. If I'm spending that coin I would buy long tubes first, then converter.. Truck is weekend camping and stuff hauling rig. Rarely past 5k.

Thank you for your experiences and input

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
All of the 6.1L swap talk is generally reserved for the pre-VVT engines as there were some significant upgrades done to the Eagle block and heads that put it on par with 6.1L head flow numbers.

The 6.1L springs can work as long as you use the proper locators and shims for them; CompCams has a set of locator shims prepackaged for the hemi to do this but if you're planning a cam I'd highly recommend going to a better spring like the PSI 1511 (shim required) or 1515 (no shim required) depending on what cam you go with. I ran the 6.1L springs for a while because I had them from my previous '07 cammed hemi but ended up upgrading to the PSI 1511s when I did my second cam swap. If you're not doing a cam swap then there should be no reason to swap the springs unless one has failed.

For pushrods I would go with the Manley 26640 or Comp Hi-Tech VVT pushrods, both are around $140 for a full set; you don't want the 6.1L rods, they are too short at 6.65" vs 6.8" and 7.85" vs 8.12". Again, if you're not doing a cam swap then there is no reason to upgrade the pushrods.

The one thing I WOULD do if you're pulling the heads is replace all the lifters with either new OEM 5.7L or go to the 6.2L lifters which have become the staple for better lifters in all the performance hemis.

OP
OP
May-39

May-39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for reality check. The more I can save while doing it "right' the happier I am. I planned on sticking with stock cam.

So the springs in this generation are okay as long as they are still functional AND I'm sticking with stock cam profile?

I'm using this truck like a truck. Not track passes or hwy rolls.

6.2 lifters? These?: 5038784AC

Thanks again, I plan to keep this thread going and with help like yours turn it into a parts number and how to thread for the many that have been and will be in my shoes.

Stock Cam
Stock springs
6.2 lifters
MDS plugs
basic head rebuild-polish exhaust ports+ lap valves + new seals of course
good tune to turn off mds and turn up happiness.