Anyone using 5w30???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nutshell

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey buddy , like I posted above I have recently gone to Redline 5W -30 oil and I'm glad I did , not much thicker but it is thicker .
Only 50 miles on it so far , no MDS issues , my ECO Lt. comes on same as before , my 5.7 is very quiet & silky smooth and my MPGS are right on with prior to the swap away from whatever bulk water thin oil the dealer puts in for free and my oil pressure is more stable than before .

9f8ea422b674e2af9680e4eaddafe918.jpg

Prior to the swap with oil temp stabilized @ 200° my oil press with the bulk oil would drop to upper 20s when at a stoplight @ idle / withe Redline 5W -30 it's at 42 psi .
As for why go to something other than the recommended 20 wt oil ( asked above ) better film coverage is the only reason I made the swap...

In conclusion no issues at all and I've Benifit ed with a quieter Hemi and more stable oil pressure.

Hope this helps .

Thanks for your input. Glad to hear you have one of the quiet ones. Mine is very sporadic as to when it ticks. Amsoil SS has made my valve train much quieter but the tick still happens from time to time. Last night I switched to a Fram Ultra filter to see if it makes a difference. We'll see I guess.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
From what I understand the dealers use 5w20 PYB

So your saying with a 30 weight your holding ~20 PSI more than a 20 weight at idle?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
anyone address low oil pressure with their dealer yet? I have just under 50k on my 2011 and oil pressure has always been up there in the 40s at idle or 50s when cruzing. 20s on a practically new motor would worry me and I would be asking questions before swapping oil weights.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
^^ seems to be the norm now with 2013+, not sure what changed but there is a lot of speculation..

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So your saying with a 30 weight your holding ~20 PSI more than a 20 weight at idle?
I asked my dealer what they use for oil and they told me they use PYB for everything except SRTs, 6.4L Hemis, and whatever else requires specific oil.

I ran 5w20 Redline over the summer and it increased my 200+ degree oil pressure by 3-5psi so that it was over 30 at idle in drive. From the day I bought it mine hovered around 26-28 at idle in drive. So ~20+ psi at idle in drive at 200+ degrees running 5w30 Redline sounds about right...
anyone address low oil pressure with their dealer yet? I have just under 50k on my 2011 and oil pressure has always been up there in the 40s at idle or 50s when cruzing. 20s on a practically new motor would worry me and I would be asking questions before swapping oil weights.
That's strange that the older trucks have higher oil pressure. Cruising it goes right up to 50-55. My buddies 13 Laramie is exactly the same...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I never really thought about oil pressure and viscosity I must admit, until you guys brought it up. I did a little research on it and much of the paper out there shows oil pressures going up with the thicker weight oils. Maybe a little different then one might think.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Millions of research dollars were spent to come up with the best oil formula and weight that keep our hemi engines running strong and not end up in warranty claims. Im upgrading to Pennzoil platinum full synthetic but sticking with 5-20, I see no reason to go to a thicker oil, Also upgrading to a better built Mobil 1 filter but using the M1-113 which is a direct replacement for the short mopar339 that came on my 15 bighorn.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Regarding oil pressure- you likely won't gain much traction with them unless it's almost zero. I can't remember where I read it, but I verified with my BIL that acceptable oil pressure at idle is anything 10psi and over and can be in the single digits before they raise any alarms. Sounds lame, but that's what Chrysler is saying to them.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Please reRead my post sir , I said with the dealers free bulk water thin oil they put in it was the *UPPER * 20s , so 28 -29 then 42 with the Redline 30wt . That's not 20 psi ..? Simple math , don't turn this into something it's not ... , Sir if I had to nail down a psi # I'd say aprox +14 psi with the Redline 5W -30 verses what ever junk oil the dealer is pumping into my truck from their giant container for free .
I really don't mean to come off as an ass , I just don't like people putting words in my mouth by rounding up their numbers to make their argument look better ...

I'm very happy with the super expensive Redline mail ordered oil and Royal Purple 10-48 filter set up I've recently installed . No codes , no evic messages no change in mpgs or MDS operations, better oil pressures and a MUCH QUIETER Hemi 5.7L ! ! I see no disadvantages upon going with the 30 wt. Oil and a 100% synthetic filter .

I would encourage any 2013 + Ram 5.7L to do the same . IMHO...

EDIT ××× EDIT ××××× EDIT XXXXX

Wow after Reading my post above , I did sound like an ASS !

I apologize Jmhm17 !

Sometimes when I read what I post I understand what my wife means when she says and I quote " Honey it's not what you say , but how you say it "

All jokes aside ( and I do joke a lot !)

Seriously I meant no harm !

Last edited:

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have a 2014 and my oil pressure has always been good, 40 at idle and 55 driving down the highway...59-60 until engine warms up.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you've made the switch to 30w, share your results as I'd love to hear them both positive and negative.

Thanks

Results: We shall see with the Free UOA I am getting from Pennzoil...

Positive: Piece of Mind of Just Knowing What I know! Also the Warm Fuzzy Feeling of experiencing what most said Would Happen-->Didn't Happen! {I could go on but Not Worth my Time}.. One that Most will understand-->No MPG change...LoL!

Negative: None & None WAS Expected!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regarding oil pressure- you likely won't gain much traction with them unless it's almost zero. I can't remember where I read it, but I verified with my BIL that acceptable oil pressure at idle is anything 10psi and over and can be in the single digits before they raise any alarms. Sounds lame, but that's what Chrysler is saying to them.
Wow ! Single digits ?

I really wasn't concerned @ 28-30 psig at idle , but I was happy it went up to 40 -42 at idle when I went to the Redline 5W -30 !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ Jmhm17 .

I edited my post #29 above to include an apology to you Sir for me being an Ass ....

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ive been running 5w30 for two years now, of various shell flavours, and its been nothing but great. Engine runs smooth and strong, mds works perfectly, no check engines lit up. I sleep better at night knowing my engine is protected by better than factory specifications. Used to like defy but then they went and changed the formula so back to the old stand by PPPP

4.73 litres for 29$ plus tax at Walmart everyday thats like the holy grail in Canada where every 5 litre syn jug ever is 48 or 49 plus tax if its not on "sale" that particular week
Just wish to find the ultra platinum in a store one day :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Nutshell

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Results: We shall see with the Free UOA I am getting from Pennzoil...

Positive: Piece of Mind of Just Knowing What I know! Also the Warm Fuzzy Feeling of experiencing what most said Would Happen-->Didn't Happen! {I could go on but Not Worth my Time}.. One that Most will understand-->No MPG change...LoL!

Negative: None & None WAS Expected!

Thanks for the feedback Syn. Did your valve train quiet down?

OP
OP
Nutshell

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2014 and my oil pressure has always been good, 40 at idle and 55 driving down the highway...59-60 until engine warms up.

What oil and filter are you currently running?

Enoch_b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Um..sir, I'm not seeing my Mobile on this list. There MUST be some sort of mixup. :-\

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the feedback Syn. Did your valve train quiet down?

With all honestly--->I went from M1 AFE 0W-20 {Remarkable Oil}... 2 oil changes before switching to PU 5W-30 {Via Recommendation from my Close Friend and Personal Service Mgr of the Dealership where I bought my Ram}...

To answer your question Honestly-->Yes I did notice a some what quieter 5.7L after the 5W-30 oil change... Steve also recommended the use of the Liqui-Moly additive for the Hemi that plates all High Pressure moving parts... After I reached the 10K mile mark... The 5W-30 had 225 miles on it when the 300ml showed up at the door...

I added the 300ml just before a trip to visit my son at college 124 miles one way... After the trip down and letting the Ram sit over night and then starting it up to get some breakfast-->This is when I first noticed the big difference... {Quieter and Very Smooth Idle}...

This is my Honest and Simple Opinion... I called Steve that evening and He Basically Told me Your Welcome!

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where did you get the Liqui -Moly additive ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is the only moly additive that I know of that is soluble moly,, But I must admit I haven't kept up on this.

8 bucks amazon.

I looked up up, not very popular with oil crew due to low moly but seams to be good with amazon review for whatever it's worth. Also looks like an oil thickner as well. Maybe a tool worth trying if someone had a bad tick and didn't want to try a top tier oil.

Last edited: