Bare 409 Headers vs Coated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally like header wrap- I've used it before and it's a pretty reliable cheaper alternative. Plus u can get it in different colors - just wrap em before u install them.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally like header wrap- I've used it before and it's a pretty reliable cheaper alternative. Plus u can get it in different colors - just wrap em before u install them.

and void any warranty, and promote rust, and back heat up into the cylinder heads.... not for me...

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really good info.
the 1-3/4" are supposed to fit a lot better than the 1-7/8" from what I've read.
i hadn't thought of header paint, that's a good call.

I installed my JBA LT headers last weekend and I just sprayed them with VHT Flame Proof before install. I only had a problem with getting the Y-Pipe pieces to come together. Other than that, the install was really simple.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I did pacesetter headers, danced them and put 3 coats of vht exhaust paint on them. This is them about 8 months later. I live in the rust belt of Ohio and we have a lot of salt
c9125d9b6483297be566e76518b56992.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would wrapping your after market headers with header wrap void warranty? I live in a High desert- not much moisture here except in the winter. I've only header wrapped the pipes on my toys previously and they never showed rust. In a humid environment they may collect moisture.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm looking at some LT Headers for my 2014 Ram, and the question i have is about the coating. For the JBA 1-3/4" bare 409's what is the benefit of the coating? This is not going to be a show truck and i don't need them to stay bright and shiny.
Are there other benefits from having them coated that i'm missing?
Trying to justify if i need to spend the additional green. Also, do these bolt right up to the stock Y-Pipe?
Thanks guys.

I went with ARH LTs and their Y-pipe with JET HOT Coating. Very happy with them.

Yea, the coating mainly just keeps the temps down a bit and makes them look nice.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How would wrapping your after market headers with header wrap void warranty? I live in a High desert- not much moisture here except in the winter. I've only header wrapped the pipes on my toys previously and they never showed rust. In a humid environment they may collect moisture.

Google it and let me know what you find. Wrapping headers voids the warranty on every reputable header companies headers on the planet. Wrap is a wives tale of performance gains, and a bigger wives tail of any heat protection beyond perhaps physical contact with wires. It jams heat back into the heads, retains moisture, etc. Wrap is terrible. Fact...

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Header coatings are for looks only. The coatings being offered have precious-little bearing on heat conductivity, don't waste your money.

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone tried using header paint at home? I think they use rust inhibitors. If only worried about rust might be a cheaper option that ceramic coating from mfg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah they had one little ding in them, and someone tossed them on the clearance rack for $200.lol still had bolts, o2 extensions and gaskets. So i snagged them!

I keep hearing that same thing about rustoleum getting better and better. Some tell me its even better than por-15 for regular chassis type painting and rust prevention.
I painted the entire underside of my fj with rustoleum rattle can with rust inhibitors. A bunch of dudes on the jeep forums were recommending it.. Looks brand new after 7k miles and tins of water/mud

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They work well, I'd suggest going to a place like Home Depot and purchasing BBQ paint. I think you're limited to black or white and it's a lot less expensive than a speed shop. I've painted the entire exhaust system with it and it still looks the same as the day I sprayed it.

If they are stainless steel, leave them as-is.

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Note that it is very important to properly degrease the headers first. Even more important is to not touch(!) the cleaned surfaces with your oily fingers / hands prior to paint.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I've gone through all the different coatings and wraps on my truck for various reasons. The ARH heads I had coated ended up still transferring enough heat from my exhaust to melt wiring and plastic clips 2" away. I managed to catch a wiring harness of fire at one point because of how how the headers were getting. The coating also started to flake after 1 year from some of the joints because of the heat expansion with my system.

I have since wrapped the headers (what warranty, lol) but beware the header wrap you get. I thought the black header wrap would be awesome but they don't tell you that it can bleach out under heat and it looks like utter crap when that happens. Since I swapped all the wrap to the volcanic glass wrap they have held up beautifully for 3 years now. I have also had zero heat related issues with the harnesses and hoses around the headers since they were wrapped.

The last pic is the coated headers after 1 year of use

Attachments

• IMG_0646_zpsu8objfwv.jpg
    IMG_0646_zpsu8objfwv.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0648_zpspdiyqnhx.jpg
    IMG_0648_zpspdiyqnhx.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3848_zps0711060a.jpg
    IMG_3848_zps0711060a.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 40

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Nice job on the wrap....I had my coated inside and out and still look good about 2yrs now! Gotta do something for the additional heat.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If any of you guys decide to try wrapping your headers or exhaust,a tip to make working with the stuff nicer and a little bit more healthy to handle (ie:less itchy),is to soak the roll of wrap in water for a bit before you use it.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
A lot of misinformation about Ceramic Coating on this thread. Bare Headers can get 800+ degrees ferinhight when running hard, ceramic coated about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. I've seen way to many melted wiring at the track. One guy told me his headers warped a coil pack. Get the ceramic coated, trust me.

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of misinformation about Ceramic Coating on this thread. Bare Headers can get 800+ degrees ferinhight when running hard, ceramic coated about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. I've seen way to many melted wiring at the track. One guy told me his headers warped a coil pack. Get the ceramic coated, trust me.

You're gonna claim a 500F drop in radiated thermal energy...seriously? Prove it.

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

aaahahahahahahahaha, come come now - still bullsh!t. Not only do they use the IR tool incorrectly, there's a HUGE difference in surface emissivity for starters, the claim of a 500+F difference in temperatures is not repeatable. Not even the coating manufacturers make such claims.

This is also(!) supported by the zero gains in performance they recorded. IF(!) there was actually a 500F delta the increase in gas velocity would show up in repeatable HP / TQ gains. They measurement none!

Finally, if you haven't noticed, popularhotrodding is a rolling advertisement. Ask them about E3 sparkplugs :^D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990