Breaks make a weird sound....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDawg148

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So first thing in the morning my right rear break makes a loud moaning sound. Goes away after that. Seems to only happen when the truck has been sitting for a while. Anyone run into this?

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without hearing the sound, kinda hard to say - but could it be the pads clearing surface rust off the rotors?

bigfoot2219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My brakes make some noises every morning when I'm coming out of my driveway. Also this summer I got a rock stuck in the brake system and it squeeled every time I hit the brakes till it came out. I haven't been worried about any of it! Truck is solid. If you believe it to be a more serious problem take it by a dealer!

OP
OP
BigDawg148

BigDawg148

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I can describe it as is a loud moaning sound. Lol. I will try to catch it on recording. Comes from the back right wheel.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine does it too. Not every day. But after it's sat for a couple days, then first thing in the morning backing out. It's almost like the rear brakes are chattering and the vibration goes up through the bed. [chattering? is that even a thing?]

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine does it when the engine is cold and idling high. 8 speed with 3.92 will kinda jump if you put it into gear at high idle so if you have the brakes on they will moan a bit when it launches

another thing that probably doesn't help is apparently the caliper pins aren't lubed up from the factory so the brakes could stick a bit. i know mine are sticking and it's causing excessive wear but not really any point doing anything about it at this point

BigDaddyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bet the moaning sound is from moisture in the morning. Mine does it after I wash it and I back out of the driveway to wash the wife's suburban. The first time my wife heard it she almost ****, thought something was wrong. Once you stop the first time it is dried off by the pads. Before you drive it, when the rotors, calipers and pads are COLD, hose it down and see if it doesn't do it. DON'T DO IT HOT! I could see where that may cause an issue with warping the rotors, even though we drive through puddles and muck all the time with warm brake components.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a pretty typical sound with brakes on any vehicle. My Ford Edge did the same thing, and a car or two , when it would sit for a bit. I don't see it as anything to worry about, as long as you're not getting any pulsing or such feel when you brake.