Carven Progressive/Competitor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all

This topic has been up many times but my case is unlike most...and before I order one of them I thought I'd check with the forum. I'd like my truck to be louder and have a deeper tone. Right now it's too raspy and throaty for my liking.

A Flowmaster 50 Series HD is on the it now. Resonators deleted. Want it louder and deeper, have decided between the Carven Progressive Series, or the Carven Competitor Series. As mentioned it would be without the resonators.

For the guys with these two, what are your thoughts/regrets and what do you like about them? Do you have them without resonators?

Thanks!
Anton

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the Progressive with resonators. I am really happy with it. I will say it is louder than anticipated. I can't really weigh in on the competitor, but I would imagine there is some drone, especially with no resonators.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have the progressive on my 2011 with resonators intact. Have had it on for about 6 mos. I still really like the sound of my truck. So much so, that it brings a smile to my face everytime I start it up! I haven't heard the competitor in person, but I personally don't think I would want anything louder for my DD. Have only had positive comments made from others about the way my truck sounds.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have the progressive on my 2011 with resonators intact. Have had it on for about 6 mos. I still really like the sound of my truck. So much so, that it brings a smile to my face everytime I start it up! I haven't heard the competitor in person, but I personally don't think I would want anything louder for my DD. Have only had positive comments made from others about the way my truck sounds.

I wonder if the "performance gains" that they promise with the Competitor Series goes for the Progressive too. My only worry with the Progressive is that I still won't think it's loud enough... I suppose I could then add their tips to it too.

But when considering the muffler size difference even the Progressive Series should be hella lot louder than my Flowmaster. Haha.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not tuned yet, but there were no noticeable gains on the butt dyno. Just a more aggressive note. Size comparison...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Competitor series Carven Exhaust with resonators still installed .
This is my daily driver . I've had it installed for about 4 months , the drone is near not even noticable , I LOVE IT ! ....90% of the time .
I say that because for long trips it's a bit loud . I'm in NE Tennessee , verry hilly even on the interstate , so quite a bit of downshifting when the cruise is on . Funny thing is if a vehicle is beside me when it downshifts they think I want to race

The main reason I say 90% of the time is my wife has terrible migraines and my LOUD exhaust just kills her when she's having a headache

I've only had positive responses on this exhaust from how it sounds outside the cab and from inside .

With the wife's migraines , I'll probably be selling my Competitor series before too long
When I do I'll just put my OEM muffler back on .

I'll be posting it up for sale here in the classifieds when I decide to remove it .

Hope my (with resonator description ) helps you Sir !

This is my install thread for my Carven Competitor Series Exhaust.

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1403477

And again hope this helps you Sir !

Last edited:
OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Competitor series Carven Exhaust with resonators still installed .
This is my daily driver . I've had it installed for about 4 months , the drone is near not even noticable , I LOVE IT ! ....90% of the time .
I say that because for long trips it's a bit loud . I'm in NE Tennessee , verry hilly even on the interstate , so quite a bit of downshifting when the cruise is on . Funny thing is if a vehicle is beside me when it downshifts they think I want to race

The main reason I say 90% of the time is my wife has terrible migraines and my LOUD exhaust just kills her when she's having a headache

I've only had positive responses on this exhaust from how it sounds outside the cab and from inside .

With the wife's migraines , I'll probably be selling my Competitor series before too long
When I do I'll just put my OEM muffler back on .

I'll be posting it up for sale here in the classifieds when I decide to remove it .

Hope my (with resonator description ) helps you Sir !

This is my install thread for my Carven Competitor Series Exhaust.

Carven Exhaust Install. - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

And again hope this helps you Sir !

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry about your wife's migraines. If you are thinking about selling it rather soon I'll buy it right away, if so please send me a message :)

I live in Oregon and it's pretty dang flat. So the Competitor should be alright!

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not tuned yet, but there were no noticeable gains on the butt dyno. Just a more aggressive note. Size comparison...

I wonder how they can claim the performance gains without any proof whatsoever haha. Pretty gutsy

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ the OP , Thanks .

Don't wait on me Sir , Fwiw I wouldn't hesitate to install the Competitor series Carven Exhaust if it weren't for the wife's migraines!

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ the OP , Thanks .

Don't wait on me Sir , Fwiw I wouldn't hesitate to install the Competitor series Carven Exhaust if it weren't for the wife's migraines!

Dang it haha I just ordered it. I would want to kick myself in the face if it still wasn't loud enough - I went with the Competitor Series Kit.

Install will have to wait until after my season as I'm overseas playing hockey. Thanks for your input R.L.K.!