Carven Progressive Drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello All...I just installed the Carven Progressive exhaust (Thanks Nick!) on my 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi w/ 3.21 gears and I really like it except for one thing. The drone at 75-80 mph is way too loud inside the cabin. The RPMs are around 1600-1700. I took the family for a ride and we drove around for a little bit. Running about 55-60 mph (around 1400 RPMs), there is almost no drone at all, but once I got it on the freeway the wife and I just stared at each other and we both didn't like it. We could barely hear the radio and it wasn't enjoyable trying to talk to one another.

Did anyone else have the same experience? Does it get better with time? If this is the what to expect, I'm sorry to say that I will probably reinstall the factory muffler. This sucks because the sound is awesome!

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes the drone is bad on these but
If you have a tuner you can turn off MDS and it will help. There is also something called a “J Pipe”. That is made by mufflex that is installed in line before the carven that is meant to reduce drone. There is for sure 1 member that has it and said he was able to almost completely eliminate the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Turning of MDS did not help my case. I have 3.55 gears, so my drone was in the 65mph range, even worse! I sol my progressive and went back to stock.
Some people say the J-pipe will help, but that is throwing more money at it.
I think if the muffler was further back there would be less drone, but no proof of that.
Still haven't pulled the trigger on my next exhaust, but if youbdont want drone go with corsa. Some say the mufflex magnaflows are a good option too.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey brother, glad you like the exhaust, sorry to hear the drone is bad enough to bother you. drone is tough, what isnt bad to some is bad to others. shutting off MDS should help. also double check you fitment. sometimes the install can make matters worse. sometimes a tweak here and there can make a big difference.

I agree with DailyRam, for NO drone Corsa is the only way to go but its much more expensive. if you want to grab a Corsa kit we are running a group buy that gets the price very low compared to normal

OP
OP
B

BigBoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I checked the fitment of everything and didn't find any leaks. I decided to reinstall the factory muffler and will sell the Carven. I may look into the Corsa at a later date.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I checked the fitment of everything and didn't find any leaks. I decided to reinstall the factory muffler and will sell the Carven. I may look into the Corsa at a later date.

PM Sent

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Time to re-gear to 3.92's or lower ;)

I get drone at like 55-60, but it's not bad and it usually only happens in 8th gear. If it's bothering me I'll drop in to 7th and it's gone. At 70+ on the highway I'm running 2000+ RPM's and no drone.

Re-gear. ;)

OP
OP
B

BigBoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes the drone is bad on these but
If you have a tuner you can turn off MDS and it will help. There is also something called a “J Pipe”. That is made by mufflex that is installed in line before the carven that is meant to reduce drone. There is for sure 1 member that has it and said he was able to almost completely eliminate the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about it a little bit, and I think I will hold onto the Carven and try the J-pipe route. As I said before, I really like the sound of the exhaust and it would still be cheaper than buying a Corsa exhaust. Not sure when I'll purchase the J-pipe, but I'll try and update this post with the results.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been discussed a ton on here ( its a very popular muffler with a decent price tag). I think the most common solutions were either to remove it, add the J-pipe or if you have the 8 speed just downshift. I have it at the same MPH as you and I just downshift into 7th.

I did not notice it until I took a 4 hour ride with the wife. It drove us crazy until I downshifted then it was no big deal. I may eventually ditch it when I have a little one but until then downshifting solves my problem and for 299 I cant argue with the drone much. If you want a drone free muffler you will be spending some cash!

Just be glad you didnt get the Carven competitor lol

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I did not think mine had drone, but I found it in between 75 and 80mph .
Figure out what rpm in comes in at and stay under that or over it as it seems to be a small rpm band that its in.
I dpnt have any speed limits around here that fast so I just stay under 75 and am good.
Not taking my Carven off , no way no how.

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is surprising to hear..

Where do you live that you are driving 80 on the highway lol. In VA the speed limit is 60/65

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Where do you live that you are driving 80 on the highway lol. In VA the speed limit is 60/65

In my area of TN speeds are 70 and places I've been in TX were 75mph.

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my area of TN speeds are 70 and places I've been in TX were 75mph.
Hmm..i was thinking about grabbing the progressive but i dont want annoying drone with a 18 month old..i thought thats why people bought the progressive, to not have drone lol

OP
OP
B

BigBoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I live in California, and the speed limit is 70 in most spots. 75-80mph is definitely not uncommon around these parts...lol. I still think the Carven is an awesome exhaust. That is why I'm eventually going to reinstall it with the J-pipe with hopes of it fixing the drone. Many may be okay with the drone, but we also have 2 little ones that love to ride in the truck, and I could tell it bothered them as well. If I lived in an area where I never drove over 70, it would still be on the truck.

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in California, and the speed limit is 70 in most spots. 75-80mph is definitely not uncommon aroumd these parts...lol.
Hmmm well i may pass on the muffler and just get the tips

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the Carven Progressive (with the 5" tips) and have been very happy with it. There is some drone...but I don't have kids. I can see this being an issue if I had people in the back seat all the time.

The sound overall is amazing...and I just turn up the radio and barely hear it anymore. When the girlfriend is with me it doesn't bother her either.

We're taking our first long trip (MN to CA) in February...can't wait! There will be some drone on the highway...but not enough to bother us. For me its a trade off for the sound.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt the jpipe will help with this muffler. I had it with my 18 magnaflow and it worked, but when I got my LT headers with cat idk if it's the extra loudness, but the drone was back.

I tried the theory of having the muffler more in the back and it didn't help.

The only way I got rid of the drone after the LT is with the single exit tail pipe and its giant resonator.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 3.21s and progressive and it doesn't bother me. Honestly wish it was a bit louder most of the time and kind of wish I went with competitor.

I don't have kids so nobody is usually in back and if they were I'd probably rather hear the exhaust anyways

H8Train

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have progressive on my 14 Express with 6spd/3.55. There was some drone when I first put it on and left MDS activated. Since then I shut MDS when ever I put it into drive, if I wanted MPG I would have gotten a prius. Drone has since dropped down. It will still show up around 60 depending on engine load. Doesnt bother me though.

ClarkandAddison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had my Carven Progressive on for one week now. I've found at 75mph there is drone louder than I'd like. Dropping it to 7th stops the drone, but the rpms go from around 1600-1700 to 2000-21000. Other than a little worse mileage, does running in 7th as opposed to 8th cause any problems?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007