Catch cans....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twinzx11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys so I was looking at some catch cans and thought about buying one. Before I did I wanted to know some pros and cons about them.
Where should I purchase one from?
Is there a particular brand I should get?
Are they easy to install at home?

Anywho, you guys would guide me in the right direction that would be great, thanks

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Moes sells them.
there is no con to installing one.
takes about 10-15min (if you take your time). probably takes longer to remove the engine cover and get everything ready to install than it takes to actually install the can..
check out the DIY section, there are more than 1 step by step pics shown there.
im not the most knowledgable when it comes to car stuff, and ive installed the vararam CAI and the catch can.
if you have any questions before you do it, feel free to ask. many people on this forum will walk you thru it... but believe me, its a piece of cake.

from moe's website about the catch can:

Question: What does the Billet Tech Catch Can do besides look good?

Answer: The Billet Tech Catch Can slows down and filters oil that may end up in the intake and combustion chambers.
Oil in the combustion chamber could lower octane ratings that may cause your automobiles computer to sense knock/KR.
This may cause a decrease in performance. The Billet Technology Catch Can helps decrease the symptoms of the scenarios described. So as you can see, the Billet Tech Catch Can not only looks good as stated, but performs flawlessly.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
many DIY's and pro con threads if you use the search feature.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out the Moroso from Summit Racing, better mounting location and has a drain valve. Definitely worth a few bucks more

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All pros, no cons.
Easy to install yourself at home with a couple hand tools.
There are a lot of choices, you have to evaluate and see which is best for you.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
All pros, no cons.
Easy to install yourself at home with a couple hand tools.
There are a lot of choices, you have to evaluate and see which is best for you.

I totally agree with audio1der. All pros, no cons.

This is the first mod any ram owner should do!

OP
OP
twinzx11

twinzx11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright guys I think I got all the facts I need. I will consider the two different cans and see which on to buy. Thanks

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, read about how they work; buy an inline oil separator for compressed air line. Can buy one from lowes.
Get the appropriate hoses and do it your self. Not it won't look like a super cool billet can but it works and costs about $30.00
What I had gathered after only 1500miles
be3uqyqu.jpg

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
As everyone has said, there is no negative to installing a catch can. I prefer the Billet Tech can myself as it is Ram specific, works great, and looks great under the hood as well. There are some companies selling knock off versions of the Billet Tech can, so be careful with those. Many have plastic fittings, and poor quality control. The Moroso can is nice, but I prefer the mounting location and style of the Billet Tech can myself. Everyone has a different preference on this though.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I prefer the look and mounting location of the Billet Tech can myself and its why I own one. Also you have the benefitof supporting a hard working forum vendor by going that route. Imo you pay extra for the Moroso can and it comes with a generic mounting bracket and the drain line looks cheesy. Some will disagree but thats just my 2 cents.

Also steer clear of the DIY can. I did that for a brief period of time thinking I was doing myself a favor by saving a bunch of money but it just doesnt work nearly as well as the real thing. I still had significant oil build up in the outlet hose of the DIY filter/can. It still caught a lot of oil but I was uncomfortable enough with the amount still getting through I bought a BT can and have been thouroughly pleased.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys so I was looking at some catch cans and thought about buying one. Before I did I wanted to know some pros and cons about them.
Where should I purchase one from?
Is there a particular brand I should get?
Are they easy to install at home?

Anywho, you guys would guide me in the right direction that would be great, thanks
There is no downside. Hemi's have blow-by; blow-by is bad for your intake; Gen IV PCV routes blow-by into your intake. Catch can intercepts blow-by before it can reach your intake. Billet Technology makes a high quality catch can with a bracket specifically designed for RAM. Moe's Performance sells the BT can and has great prices, great service and great shipping.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
I can personally vouch for the Billet can. Install was a breeze, and after a week and about 1000km I had probably close to a cup of nasty smelling oil residue in the can. Wish I would have remembered to grab a pic before I dumped it

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Wish I would have remembered to grab a pic before I dumped it

Don't worry, you will have to dump it again in another 1000km...haha

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Haha this is true, just wish I would have gotten one earlier now that I know how much they really catch. Everyone is telling the complete truth when they say this should be the first mod for a HEMI owner