Corsa Problems on 2015/2016 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 5.7 8 speed that replaced my 2013 6 speed with. Love the transmission and the 3.92 gears. I had Corsa's on the 2013 and had no issues, but when put on the 2016 (verified on a 2015 as well) I get a ridiculously loud what I'll call back pressure noise (my daughter calls it a fart) in between mid-high throttle shifts. It is not a small problem, and sounds horrible when it happens.

I called Corsa to ensure that it fit and no problems and they confirmed. I then purchased new black tips (had chrome) to go with my black rims for an additional $200.. When i called them about the issue they said they had no idea and to videotape it, when I did they said it was a known issue and they have no resolution. I can't tune out MDS at this point, and when I can it will cost $1k for the new PCM and tuner. Having to manually put it in 8th gear seems like poor engineering for an exhaust of this price and on a $50k+ vehicle.

I think it is unprofessional of them to not admit it when asked, and more so to not advertise that you will have a bad side effect prior to you spending your spend $1200-$1500 on the parts alone. They also said they have no fix and it is not their issue, they provide performance and to make the problem go away would take away from the performance. I think that is crap to be honest. I asked to escalate via email, and 3 phone calls over a week and no response.

If this was a $50 antennae that didn't work that would be one thing, but an investment in this kind of money and time putting this on for the end result of trying to let off the gas to not have my truck make this ridiculous sound is burning me up.

So I want to know if there are better exhaust options/companies out there that uou like that dont have this problem, and to make sure other buyers know of this issue.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, thats surprising. Corsa is in the top of the category. That sucks.
I have a Magnaflow catback, I like it, and it's on the mild side for sound. Not too loud, just deep enough.
Don't really know what to say about your situation.... I always liked Corsa, Magnaflow was just cheaper to buy. I'dd trade you....:)

OP
OP
jester139

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know. I had corsa's on a 2012 vette and I loved them. The lack of response is almost as bad as the sound in between shifts. Also, I saw on another post, the two hanger posts facing the front of the truck that mount on the rear muffler hit the frame if you try and mount the tail pipes flush against the muffler. The other post said they had to cut them back a couple of inches, I just didn't mount flush. Poor fitment as the hanger brackets don't need to be that long.

ufokillerz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can you post the video up somewhere and share.
i was previously interested in getting a corsa for my 2015. But slightly turned off now!

I have a corsa system in my 2014 durango and i love it.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The corsa exhaust maybe capturing a resonance that is caused by torque management on the new 8 spd between shifts. Something that most people may or may not ever hear with other mufflers. Idk?

OP
OP
jester139

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can you post the video up somewhere and share.
i was previously interested in getting a corsa for my 2015. But slightly turned off now!

I have a corsa system in my 2014 durango and i love it.

Here you go, these were not the worst of them, there are some that scare the people in the car next to you. My wife who rarely notices my mods (ignore all of those boxes in the garage ;) ) has commented on this one several times.

https://youtu.be/XzwZum_sUrk

OP
OP
jester139

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The corsa exhaust maybe capturing a resonance that is caused by torque management on the new 8 spd between shifts. Something that most people may or may not ever hear with other mufflers. Idk?

This was the techs response (he is a good guy), but I think the answer from Corsa is a bad one. I can't get his manager or anyone to comment further (still trying):

"We are aware of the sound and know the cause.
The sound is actually due to the increase in flow, and the trucks WOT fuel cut-off at the shift.
We are unaware of any possible fixes that will correct the issue without compromising performance.
Please see attached for a description of the fuel cut-off. This is done when the throttle drops to conserve fuel.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
back pressure noise in between mid-high throttle shifts....

I Have a 2015 RCSB 8sp/3.92's with a Mufflex DDOM 14.
I have the same exact issue, but only during WOT. When the truck goes to upshift, the tone of the exhaust get's weird..and a little louder. I'm glad, I though I was the only one experiencing this issue.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
that stinks. I've had Corsas on all of my vehicles for years and am surprised at the customer service you describe. I have the cat backs on my 14 but it's 6 speed, don't have that noise. I hate the 6 speed trans enough I've been looking at 15's with an 8 speed for a trade. I guess not having the noise is the only upside of the 6 speed.

I'm sure you'll have no problems selling the corsas. good luck, hope you get this sorted

OP
OP
jester139

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will not regret unloading the 6 speed. Get the 3.92's, regardless of the corsa issue, I absolutely love the 8 speed transmission and gearing. It seriously feels like a completely different truck. I went from being stuck around 5k RPM's going up interstate 70 (Denver 5280' to Vail Pass 10,500') to now cruising at 75 or more around 3-3.5k RPM.

bs98flht

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 R/T that does the same thing at wot. my hangers were close to the frame but not touching, I had to cut off a 1/2" on right tail pipe to get the tips to match up. It isn"t listed for a sbsc truck so I took a chance and got it. other than the occasional burp now and then I'm very happy with the setup, absolutely no in cab drone .

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your talking about the crackle in between shifts. I kind of like that.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's just not Corsa. My Magnaflow muffler dies the same thing on wot shifts. It's the torque management.
No need to bash Corsa over this.

OP
OP
jester139

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's just not Corsa. My Magnaflow muffler dies the same thing on wot shifts. It's the torque management.
No need to bash Corsa over this.

I don't agree. My issue is their lack of honesty and disclosure about it, and it does not just happen on WOT. I'm suggesting they let buyers know this will be a side effect and a known issue.

This is my second corsa exhaust and I was a repeat customer for a reason - quality. If that is declining I want to know and others should at least be made aware. That is why we have forums, to help inform and take our own actions/make buying decisions. Thx

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Anyone with the MOPAR exhaust system able the chime in? Is the same issue there, or is it non-existent with the MOPAR system?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I don't agree. My issue is their lack of honesty and disclosure about it, and it does not just happen on WOT. I'm suggesting they let buyers know this will be a side effect and a known issue.

This is my second corsa exhaust and I was a repeat customer for a reason - quality. If that is declining I want to know and others should at least be made aware. That is why we have forums, to help inform and take our own actions/make buying decisions. Thx
Do you honestly expect a company to advertise the flaws of their product?

If you don't like it sell the kit and do a muffler swap for $150. You didn't gain anything by doing a whole cat back. Only reason I did a cat back was so that I could sell my stock exhaust and only be into my new one for $200.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jester139

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not going to get into a ******* match, but yes - if a company markets their unique ability to make your vehicle sound better with no drone, they should tell you if there is a manufacturer caused side effect (in their words).

I think you may be missing the point on this one. I bought for sound and performance. They know it is an issue, but when I first asked denied it. That is what I am pissed about. I think it is fair to say this would fall into the WTF category for many of us who drop over $1k in a system, install it, and then find out about it.

A better response should be that they are working on it and will address with current owners once a fix is identified. You expect the same from Ram if a problem comes up with your truck - you want it to be repaired or recalled.

So my original post explained the situation, the response, and asked if others were having similar issues.

If I am alone on this one or you don't think it is an issue then no need to respond.

BigChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a full cat-back system? The resonators have been removed from the equation?

I had reso's on my magnaflow universal and after removing them it made a heck of a difference.

The sound I heard in the second to last clip in your video wasn't out of the ordinary from what I understand and know of aftermarket performance exhausts. I didn't hear anything remotely offensive in the other clips. It sounds like you are really hammering your pedal though.

You mentioned scaring other motorists? But you have a loud exhaust and mash your gas pedal?

Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned about this issue. If you don't like the exhaust can't you send it back? Yes, I know - you put time into putting it on, and now you have to take it off... But that is par for the course when you buy something for your truck.

I realize you expected the same results your six speed had, but you have a new transmission now and it is better than ever, and some would disagree :)

Good luck, hopefully it mellows out with the break in and you can enjoy your $50k+ vehicle.

OP
OP
jester139

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear you. Yes full cat back system. I am doing the gear up to 8 speed work around as I love the sound. These aren't the worst of the times it happened. If you heard it you would probably agree it is not quite right.

I am enjoying. Have my sport lifted 4, mickey Thompson 35's, the CAI, the exhaust, and soon to be Moe's 87mm throttle body and catch can. Matt from Moe's is great to deal with, just as others have mentioned.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Not going to get into a ******* match, but yes - if a company markets their unique ability to make your vehicle sound better with no drone, they should tell you if there is a manufacturer caused side effect (in their words).

I think you may be missing the point on this one. I bought for sound and performance. They know it is an issue, but when I first asked denied it. That is what I am pissed about. I think it is fair to say this would fall into the WTF category for many of us who drop over $1k in a system, install it, and then find out about it.

In a perfect world you're right the company would tell you that. In reality though that would not happen. Why? It's bad for business. In a sales pitch you don't offer up the negatives of your product, if you disagree show me a company in this industry that does.

I watched your video, but I assume you're talking about the pops and small backfires? That isn't really a manufacturing defect. That is caused by a very free flowing exhaust. There isn't enough restriction in the muffler to stop that from happening. Put a straight pipe on and you'll hear the same thing. You paid for a very free flowing non restrictive exhaust, that is what you will get. I've had Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Straight pipe, and MBRP. They all do it from time to time, not nearly as frequently as yours, but it does happen.

My suggestion to you would be this:

1. Sell the new exhaust and just do a muffler swap for $150
OR
2. Put resonators on to add more restriction to your exhaust which should help.

Yes it sucks you don't like your exhaust. I'd be upset too, I don't think they denied it intentionally, they probably just didn't understand what you were talking about until they heard it. It is just a side effect from a high flow exhaust, nothing more nothing less. The tone of the exhaust sounds like a straight pipe, mustn't be a very big muffler! Lol

Is the exhaust tube size the same as stock (3.5") or did the diameter change with your Corsa?