545RFE Problems after Diablo tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hello, I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7 with 150,000 miles, the transmission shifted perfectly until a few weeks ago, I knew by the codes that the clutches were gone, I pull a heavy trailer, I had my transmission rebuilt and all was good, I decided to try a Diablo tuner instead of my Superchips, I have never had a problem one with the superchips tuner and I have the trans tune, after putting in the diablo tune with 91 tune I added the throttle sensitivity percent and it woke truck up COMPLETELY, after about a week I was going to try and get on the freeway had it at 40 mph and floored it to get out on the traffic, it went jerk, jerk ,jerk ,jerk--4 times them hits really hard downshift....it seemed like it was slipping, I repeated this MANY times to verify, so I removed the tune altogether and tried it again, it still did it, I took the transmission to the same reputable shop they put a new valve body and solenoid pack put it back together and it still did it, (IT SHIFTS PERFECT IN ANY OTHER WAY ) just not the downshift at 40MPH, they took it back in and took the transmission apart to check it over more closely and found nothing, they ordered and installed a different transmission that was rebuilt ( I saw the new transmission) and now it still does it exactly like before , Jerks 4 times then downshifts hard and it flies-----I am getting it back today and they told me it is doing the same thing, asking if the Diablo could have messed up the ECU , or maybe the tune did not fully get out of the computer ? the tuner is unlocked and I put the stock back in but no one knows what is going on, I am not trying to bash diablo but NO ONE can figure out what is going on with my truck. I am trying to get in contact with Diablo maybe they can tell me what is going on? I apologize this was so long of a post.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah it woke the truck up beyond the duty cycle of the RFE transmission.

I installed Diablo Pulsar, but tow infrequently, knowing the RFE is marginal in stock form.

Not sure what you got going on with all of your various changeouts at high mileage.

Most guys here use HP Tuners today.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello, I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7 with 150,000 miles, the transmission shifted perfectly until a few weeks ago, I knew by the codes that the clutches were gone, I pull a heavy trailer, I had my transmission rebuilt and all was good, I decided to try a Diablo tuner instead of my Superchips, I have never had a problem one with the superchips tuner and I have the trans tune, after putting in the diablo tune with 91 tune I added the throttle sensitivity percent and it woke truck up COMPLETELY, after about a week I was going to try and get on the freeway had it at 40 mph and floored it to get out on the traffic, it went jerk, jerk ,jerk ,jerk--4 times them hits really hard downshift....it seemed like it was slipping, I repeated this MANY times to verify, so I removed the tune altogether and tried it again, it still did it, I took the transmission to the same reputable shop they put a new valve body and solenoid pack put it back together and it still did it, (IT SHIFTS PERFECT IN ANY OTHER WAY ) just not the downshift at 40MPH, they took it back in and took the transmission apart to check it over more closely and found nothing, they ordered and installed a different transmission that was rebuilt ( I saw the new transmission) and now it still does it exactly like before , Jerks 4 times then downshifts hard and it flies-----I am getting it back today and they told me it is doing the same thing, asking if the Diablo could have messed up the ECU , or maybe the tune did not fully get out of the computer ? the tuner is unlocked and I put the stock back in but no one knows what is going on, I am not trying to bash diablo but NO ONE can figure out what is going on with my truck. I am trying to get in contact with Diablo maybe they can tell me what is going on? I apologize this was so long of a post.
If you're letting the truck/computor do the downshift,you've probably killed both transmissions yourself. First rule of thumb with the RFE is manually downshift it,before you floor it,if you let the truck/computor do the downshift,you're on borrowed time

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Also lock in 4th gear limit when towing.

Even though an OD clutch is still used in some of these gear ratios, both aren't at.the same time. Also use tow shift program that shifts at higher rpm to prevent excessive gear and clutch stress.

If you haven't been doing those things you killed it.

OP
OP
BULLRAM

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
no sir THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED....I always downshift with the ERS before doing that, this is a 0 mile transmission that does this, not a high mileage transmission that has problems, at the time I downshifted it w/o the ERS it does this, there is no way if you took a NEW truck that has 20 or so miles would do this with or with our manually downshifting it......and the transmission shop is the one who tried it today, first run on the transmission

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Then it's between your shop and Diablo. We wouldn't be able to help you if its not the stock factory transmission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
JMHO but if the new transmission was not built to handle the extra output of what the Diablo added then that is part of the problem, a stock 545 are not made to handle an increase in HP/TQ

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure why so many people hate this transmission I like it better then the 8 speed at times lol I had 230k on my ORIG trans never once in my ownership did a trans flush and i beat the living hell out of it hauling boats car trailers ect it ate it up every time no issues maybe i just got lucky then?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Hemifever and Green never got my 65RFE to shift like it was suppose to with the 3k stall & 4:56 gears.
Matt Glad at Petty's Garage uploaded the latest drag tune for it with a Diablo i2 back in 2019 and it has been flawless since.
He now works for MMX

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Doesn't sound like a transmission issue to me. Sounds like programming to the trans is at fault. I would reflash the back to stock if possible and go from there. Im sure a relearn was done to the tcm when trans shop put new one back in but I would be certain they did. But Im betting its a tune that needs returned back to stock thats the culprit. Good luck

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure why so many people hate this transmission I like it better then the 8 speed at times lol I had 230k on my ORIG trans never once in my ownership did a trans flush and i beat the living hell out of it hauling boats car trailers ect it ate it up every time no issues maybe i just got lucky then?
Some people hate it because other people hate it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107348 miles.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
In this case I would say the problems more than likely originated with the tune and not the transmission. But as for problems with the transmission...this is the only one I have seen completely die with less than 75k on it, with all maintenance being kept up to date on the truck.