Entry level performance mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just finsished the level big tire mod and some exterior modsand with the carven performance exhaust and tips next on my list I was curious about any fairly inexpensive and basic motor mods. Air filters,cold airs etc. Not sure about tuners they seem like a big mod to me and possibly more then I am looking to spend. I really am staying basic with this one,but do not no much about any of it. Any ideas,experiences would be great as well as price and install. thanks

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A tuner is not a big mod but it's one of the better bang for the buck mods out there. It just sucks that it costs sooo much to tune a 2015 + truck vs. 2014 and earlier. I have a lot of experience with tuners on my own vehicles and I have always seen a very positive increase in performance from a tuner when coupled with a CAI and a freer flowing exhaust.

I'm a believer in cold air intakes, even on this current gen truck, because of all the resonance baffles and material stuck into the intake, restricting flow. I do like how the stock system utilizes a cold air source at the fender. So with a less restrictive filter, a bit bigger box that connects to that stock cold air inlet and a smoother tube; a cold air intake can be an improvement in throttle response. It will not, however, be a big increase in power.

However, a CAI + freer flowing exhaust + tuning to handle the additional air flow to manage air fuel ratio = more power. It's a system, where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual value of each mod on it's own.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From a mechanical standpoint a harmonic balancer. Anything smoothing the engine can't be bad. I suppose only really helps if your in the upper RPM often enough.

All the basic engine mod stuff is typically I/E/Tune.

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thinking s&b cai and progressive carven to start.thanks guys. any refernces on tuners you guys use.

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tuner was hands down the best "mod" I've done so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks guys will be doing it when funds are ready. Anu order I should be doing this stuff. Thinking exhaust,cai,tuner as funds permit.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I say custom tune 1st. That power increase alone should be enough to satisfy & save up for the next mod. Rather than the possibility of intake or exhaust 1st & not completely happy with the power increase, then wanting to spend more sooner.

chilliin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the carven progressive kit and black tips first. Didn't like the stock sound given my last 3 vehicles had aftermarket exhausts. Not really interested in tuning an engine with 700 miles on it just yet. Did a few inexpensive mods, deezee tailgate assist, tonneau cover, antenna, window tints and smoked 3rd brake light. I will get into leveling and maybe the CAI later in the spring.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
It will sound really good , A tune will really make a difference

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
If you don't do the tuner there is much reason to do anything else.

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok it all makes good sense. thanks for the input. One quick question every so often a member has a tuner for sale on here. Not knowing much on this can it be used or is it a stay clear situation as far as potential issues.

14blackouthemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought mine used and had no problems, just make sure its unmarried or unlocked and it will work for your truck. Most people on here are stand up people and know what they are doing.

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks will keep and eye out.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I went with the carven progressive kit and black tips first. Didn't like the stock sound given my last 3 vehicles had aftermarket exhausts. Not really interested in tuning an engine with 700 miles on it just yet. Did a few inexpensive mods, deezee tailgate assist, tonneau cover, antenna, window tints and smoked 3rd brake light. I will get into leveling and maybe the CAI later in the spring.

how do you like the carven? ive been doing some reading and found that when the MDS kicks in, it sounds kind of droan-y, any thoughts?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I just finsished the level big tire mod and some exterior modsand with the carven performance exhaust and tips next on my list I was curious about any fairly inexpensive and basic motor mods. Air filters,cold airs etc. Not sure about tuners they seem like a big mod to me and possibly more then I am looking to spend. I really am staying basic with this one,but do not no much about any of it. Any ideas,experiences would be great as well as price and install. thanks

Only thing I would do is drop a 180 degree thermostat in it, everything under the hood will thank you. Leave it stock, keep your warranty and enjoy your new truck.
I had a lot of fun doing a few mods but had a few nightmares also. If I could do it over again I would have got the the quad cab, slap some beefy tires on it and that's it. Just my .02

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks that is solid advice as the truck has 4700 miles on it and is a qc with big tires and some bolt ons. Did just recieve my carven tips and black front and rear ram heads as latest mods. thanks guys will keep you posted on how it goes.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far a tuners go remember you have a 16 so you will need not only the tuner but a new ECU also(or you can send yours in to have it unlocked). Instead of looking for used parts, I just bit the bullet and got both the tuner and ECU from Moe's, along with the custom tuning from Hemifever. IMHO--faster, easier and less hassle and the (tuner)warranty was still intact.
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if your running 3:21 gears a regear 3:92 would be the best upgrade.