Exhaust Cutout - Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the itch lately to do something with my exhaust. First I still need to add the Y pipe... but I would also like a little more sound.

What do you guys think of doing an exhaust cutout? After installing an awesome audio system and doing a ton of sound deadening, I really don't want a louder muffler (or at least not something that's constantly louder). So I thought an electric/remote exhaust cutout would be really fun!

Here's the catch: they are illegal in Cali so it would need to be removable for inspection. Clamp it in with a band-style clamp?

Attachments

• ro-snb-l-r-3.jpg
    ro-snb-l-r-3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 587
  • $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 364

RamNSubie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do a v-band setup instead, just have a shop make a section to replace the cut out. Just be sure to do it so it doesn't look like anything suspicious.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
It will all look suspicios. Polished SS band clamps or vband clamps are immediate redflags if they look.

Matt at Moes had a cutout installed before 5he muffler and said it was worth a good bit of power.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I am running cutouts on both my trucks. I chose to run the Magnaflow stainless cutout pipes with Quick Time Performance electric motors. The Magnaflow cutout pipes comes with stainless Accuseal clamps which are the same ones that came with your catback. They seal very well, and are very easy to remove if necessary.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think they can do anything about something that "looks" suspicious. There is no law about how many clamps I have on my exhaust and whether they are shiny or not. If there is no cutout present at inspection, everything else is just speculation, lol! :)

Racelands has a little remote control to open/close. If I get really loud and it attracts cops attention, I can shut it and pretend it's someone else. :emotions33:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am running cutouts on both my trucks. I chose to run the Magnaflow stainless cutout pipes with Quick Time Performance electric motors. The Magnaflow cutout pipes comes with stainless Accuseal clamps which are the same ones that came with your catback. They seal very well, and are very easy to remove if necessary.

So basically these two pictured, right? What did you do for power, can it plug in to cigarette lighter?

Attachments

• 13874838.jpg
    13874838.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 267
  • MPE-10785_xl.jpg
    MPE-10785_xl.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 375

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes, and I pulled power from the cigarette lighter and hid the switch on the bottom of the panel under the steering wheel. I'm sure you could find a better place to mount the switch, but this is hidden well enough that nobody has noticed it without me pointing it out.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, and I pulled power from the cigarette lighter and hid the switch on the bottom of the panel under the steering wheel. I'm sure you could find a better place to mount the switch, but this is hidden well enough that nobody has noticed it without me pointing it out.

Did you add a little 45 degree dump pipe or anything to the opening?

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
No. I just angled the cutout at a 45* angle towards the outside of the truck. I have it pointed just below the passenger side frame rail.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. I just angled the cutout at a 45* angle towards the outside of the truck. I have it pointed just below the passenger side frame rail.

That makes sense, thanks!

I'm thinking... I need this thing to be quick and easy to take off and put on every year. The MF cutout is a slip on, so I will need to be able to move the exhaust back to slip it on and when it's time for inspection take it off, slip the piece of pipe back in and use the clamps.

I am wondering if I am better off getting one that will just butt up to the pipes and using butt joint band clamps, for quick and easy swap?

What's your opinion, Matt?

Like the complete QTP kit:

Attachments

• QTP-QTEC35CP_SN_xl.jpg
    QTP-QTEC35CP_SN_xl.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 292

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The problem with that style clamp is that they always seem to leak. Having a slip fit with solid clamps like you get with the Magnaflow will prevent any leaks.

I have used the QTP y pipe before as well as a few of the cheaper steel Flowtechs, and they always leaked with band clamps.

That is the reason why I opted to just purchase the QTP motor and run the Maggy cutout pipe.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem with that style clamp is that they always seem to leak. Having a slip fit with solid clamps like you get with the Magnaflow will prevent any leaks.

I have used the QTP y pipe before as well as a few of the cheaper steel Flowtechs, and they always leaked with band clamps.

That is the reason why I opted to just purchase the QTP motor and run the Maggy cutout pipe.

Do you think I'll be able to easily push the exhaust back enough to slip the MF cutout in with out having take anything else apart (that's my goal)?

Also, do you sell the MF cutouts?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
It will be a bit more work to get the cutout off, but you only need to pull the exhaust back about 2" to get the cutout off. IMO, knowing you have a leak free exhaust is worth the few extra minutes it will take you to swap this out once a year.

I do have the 3" Magnaflow cutouts in stock. I don't sell the QTP motors though.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will be a bit more work to get the cutout off, but you only need to pull the exhaust back about 2" to get the cutout off. IMO, knowing you have a leak free exhaust is worth the few extra minutes it will take you to swap this out once a year.

I do have the 3" Magnaflow cutouts in stock. I don't sell the QTP motors though.

I just looked at pictures of the 16869 and it just has the 2 sets of hooks in the rubber hangers, I'd imagine that i should be able to push it those 2 inches without taking anything else apart...

Matt, are these flat black?? ;) MBRP 5" Black Double Wall Exhaust Tip - 12" Long w/ 4" Inlet

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know where I can get a little bolt-on 3" dump pipe?

Edit: Found it. QTP 11300 3"

Attachments

• QTP-11300_JY_xl.jpg
    QTP-11300_JY_xl.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The style clamp you posted at first I used on my muffler swap and I really like them. The style I used was lap band with slip fit. They tightened down nice and tight and provided leak free seal. Here's a pic of them.

I always wanted to do a cut out with a small muffler of some sort with a turn down (personally not a huge fan of open exhaust) and leave the factory muffler in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The style clamp you posted at first I used on my muffler swap and I really like them. The style I used was lap band with slip fit. They tightened down nice and tight and provided leak free seal. Here's a pic of them.

I always wanted to do a cut out with a small muffler of some sort with a turn down (personally not a huge fan of open exhaust) and leave the factory muffler in place.

Those are pretty cool. Being in Cali, I will have to remove the cutout for inspection... :(
C.A.R.B. takes alot of the fun out of modding.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
David you are without a doubt one of the most terrible influences on this forum.....

:roflsquared:

Only "one of them?" Dang, I can consider that a failure on my part... :winner_third_h4h:

I want to be THE MOST TERRIBLE, lmao! :winner_first_h4h:

Ok, sorry about that... I'll be going to confession today... it will be awhile... the list is loooooong. :angels2:

Last edited:

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:roflsquared:

Only "one of them?" Dang, I can consider that a failure on my part... :winner_third_h4h:

I want to be THE MOST TERRIBLE, lmao! :winner_first_h4h:

Lol! It's good to have goals in life.

But seriously, every time you post about a new mod I start dreaming up new ways to spend money I don't have. Thankfully my self control wins more often than not. I do however see a cut out finding its way onto my future mod list.