Exhaust... Dual or single?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey ya'll.... I am wanting to get the stock exhaust off my truck and am deliberating between dual or single out.... I want to go cat back stainless, and want one without the drone in the cab. We put a flowmaster dual on my wife's power wagon and it can give u a headache at times...
So, my question is: is there any performance advantages of dual vs single cat backs? And which system is best for a deep tone outside without the drone inside?
Thanks!

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It really boils down the muffler you select. After getting a 18" magnaflow I'm hooked. For no drone you might want to try the 24" magnaflow. If your truck already has the dual exhaust which I think it does that means your bumper has the cutouts in it for the dual exhaust, I'd stick with the dual. Only advantage I think with the single would be some minimal weight savings.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine doesn't have the factory duals unfortunately... Wish it did! So if I went dual it would be below the bumper... I have been looking at the magnaflow systems but the off road shop I deal with is pushing the borla...

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
---->> check the preferred vendors. Several offer complete exhaust systems including single in dual out mufflers and piping to the wheel wells, or the bumper.

A number of RF members also dump their exhaust just behind the rear axle for a semi-sleeper look. :weld:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would get a single pass side exit if you're worried about drone.
The possibility of building a resonating standing wave (drone) with a single exhaust is reduced (somewhat) compared to having dual exists.

How much? Likely voodoo negligible amounts, but it's there.

I had the Mufflex 18" on my last Ram and only ever so slightly under HEAVY load would I get drove. Day to day I loved it. I think you could get a setup with that muffler and be happy with it.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You are going to PAY for borla I bet....

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i heard a gibson extreme metal malisha single exhaust on a ram here in town, it sounded mean as hell! dont know if thats a actual production kit or he modified a diff gibson extreme aplication but my god it sounded good!

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All great info! I guess I will stick to a single. Just need to decide which one...

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine doesn't have the factory duals unfortunately... Wish it did! So if I went dual it would be below the bumper... I have been looking at the magnaflow systems but the off road shop I deal with is pushing the borla...

Jhight71, as of recently we have sold quite a few Borla XR-1 mufflers for guys with single and dual exhaust and it sounds very nice.
But not too sure if it will be too loud for you.

The thing with exhaust is, its all dependent on your ear (and wifes ear) rather than ours.
I know, I have a low tolerance to muffler sound and my 22" is fine by my standard. Anything more and I would not like it.
However a few here think 14" is too quite.

None the less, check out a couple of video clips a few of our customers posted on the Borla XR-1
If you need those links send me an email and I will send them to you

[email protected]