Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm not currently planning on doing an exhaust upgrade but what are the pros and cons of the stock fake dual exhaust vs a true dual exhaust(separate exhaust for each header)?

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fake?? Ram undoubtably spent a lot of engineering effort designing a muffler system for our trucks that gives very useful torque and power and doesn't drive the passengers and neighbors batty.

Not fake.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a Y pipe right after the cats, so it's a single pipe from there up to the muffler. This is why it's not a true dual and qualify as fake dual.

I would believe that you could do anything after the stock muffler (except more restriction) and it would affect performance.

I think the stock system offer the best balance for performance when dealing with a stock powertrain. It's too bad that it's so damn quiet...

OP
OP
L

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Fake?? Ram undoubtably spent a lot of engineering effort designing a muffler system for our trucks that gives very useful torque and power and doesn't drive the passengers and neighbors batty.

Not fake.

I'm not criticizing engineering effort. Thats why I asked for someone who understands the engineering to explain the pros and cons of both approaches.

There's a Y pipe right after the cats, so it's a single pipe from there up to the muffler. This is why it's not a true dual and qualify as fake dual.

I would believe that you could do anything after the stock muffler (except more restriction) and it would affect performance.

I think the stock system offer the best balance for performance when dealing with a stock powertrain. It's too bad that it's so damn quiet...

Thanks for the response. I've wondered why the stock approach wins out. My previous car, a 2012 Subaru Forester with a 2.5L boxer, has a similar layout( 2 headers to a Y pipe and then "dual exhaust.")

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right, I understand the purpose of your question and don't have the expertise to answer. However, the word "fake" to me is a derisive term, and that is what prompted my comment. Fake would be appropriate for something like a second pipe sticking out the back that is not connected to anything.
The Ram system doesn't deserve that...

Sorry if I derailed your thread. :)

PhillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Back to the op, a true dual exhaust would remove a lot of back pressure from the cylinders and can need a timing adjustment to get the most bang out of it. If you do a muffler swap, you can get a big change in sound with about the same change in power, which is going to be minimal. If you did headers back with high flow cats, and got new cams to go with the new set up, then you would see a good raise in power. If you don't want new cams, then get a new muffler and be happy you spent $200 instead of $7000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a 12 and a 13. On the 12 I did that catback. Just made it loud. Then I did the crush or merge with a real Y pipe. Seemed to run a little better. On the 13 I eliminated the crush and went with a true X pipe into a dual in dual out muffler. Won't mention the brand cause then this will turn into a brand discussion. The point though - the X pipe crossover intro true duals made a considerable difference. Does it make more power? Probably not - but it pulls better through the gears, stays wound up when it shifts (doesn't dip down), and will actually accelerate now when needed in ECO mode. I don't have to give it a foot and a half of pedal to get it to downshift. I was told by many that I would lose torque down low, off idle, etc. Not at all the case in this 4 door truck. Very happy. Stock tune too.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stock exhaust isn't fake, it's si/do. From what I have read in performance exhaust books is that the single 3 inch pipe supplies the torque, and the duals assist in the mid and top end, it's designed to bring power in at the factory setting which is 5600rpm for hp and 4400-4500rpm for torque. The guys are right, you will only get the most out of a true dual exhaust with a good custom tune to adjust for the small amount of low end torque you may lose by opening the exhaust up. I recently installed a 2.5 inch true dual exhaust with an x pipe, cutouts, and 2 pypes m80 race mufflers. Jay Greene is creating me a race tune based on the aftermarket parts I have installed. I'm sure he will have to add timing and fuel, as well as find the right air fuel ratio. I'm looking forward to installing the tune tonight.