Gear won't leave Park. Help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
Brand new to the forum, unfortunately here because my truck is having issues. I am not mechanically inclined but have worked on vehicles in the past so go easy on me please.

Here's the problem:
I changed my oil for the first time the other day on my 2015 1500 Big Horn with the V6 engine and have not drove it since. I got into it this morning and attempted to put it into reverse and it would not budge. I have the newer rotary shifter and when I shift it, my dash is telling me the vehicle is not in park. The check engine light came on and it is throwing a P1B14 code. I do not want to take it to a dealership, unless it's a major issue. Any help I can get would be appreciated. Thank you all!

Jake2544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disconnect your battery for 30 seconds.

OP
OP
C

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
No dice. Thanks for the reply.

Jake2544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Worked on mine the couple times that it happened.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P1B14 is Unintended Park Position, which means the TCM saw the park pawl engaged when the trans was in Reverse, Neutral, or Drive.

Probably an issue with the park position sensor, the park lock solenoid, or the park hold solenoid (or wiring). Could have been a momentary glitch.

The diagnostics do basically tell the dealer (if it won't repeat) to simply check the wiring connections, clear the code, and monitor it.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn't there a recall out on all the rotary shifters? I The problem is with them coming out of park... but with your issue they should fix the rotary problem regardless because of the recall. Could be a free repair if you're not under warranty. one time that happened to me too when the truck was new but it thankfully fixed itself after I shut it off for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried rotating it to drive and back to park and see if that helps.

OP
OP
C

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
Yes I have tried rotating it into all of the gears and every time I put it back into park it tells me the vehicle is not in park and to shift to park. I'm thinking the sensor will be the least expensive but I have heard about the rotary shifter recall and checked my VIN for recalls on MOPAR's website and it didn't show I was due. I'm just over 50k miles so I doubt it has the mfg warranty and I didn't buy any when I purchased it used.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the power train warranty is good to 65k buy I don't know if it will cover that.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would call the dealership and see what they say before trying to swap parts.

OP
OP
C

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
First off, I want to say thanks to everyone. I appreciate the help.

I called two different service departments and one tech told me I might want to try the shift override button that is under the steering wheel.

I've decided that it's probably best to have them tow it in to the dealership and have them fix it up. I appreciate the input everyone.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wished we could of helped you out.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't know it had a shift override button under the steering wheel. I wonder of mine has one. Lol

OP
OP
C

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
It's something to that effect. Not sure if that's the proper name... I definitely drained the oil. Rather odd oil plug, needs to be removed with an hex key not a socket wrench but when I pull the dipstick, it's showing that it is high still even after idling the engine and letting the pressure come down to optimal range.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It's something to that effect. Not sure if that's the proper name... I definitely drained the oil. Rather odd oil plug, needs to be removed with an hex key not a socket wrench but when I pull the dipstick, it's showing that it is high still even after idling the engine and letting the pressure come down to optimal range.

I have never seen an engine oil drain that was a hex head/allen wrench. The one on my hemi isn't. Those are usually the plugs for differentials and manual transmissions, transfer cases.
The way that is worded, it sounds like you are checking the oil with the engine running? That isn't the standard procedure if you are. If you are checking it with the engine off, how far up the stick is it over full?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
DW-1402-RAM-6-e1391461268186.jpg

I'm beginning to think I dumped the wrong fluid.
That long black box in the center on the picture has a plug on it; that is the plug that I pulled.

OP
OP
C

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
http://afepower.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/EcoDiesel-oil-pan-1.jpg

I do not have the eco diesel but this is what the pan looks like. Large black box and it has a hex key plug that says "open only for oil drain" very misleading if it's not for the engine oil.

OP
OP
C

Chilcoat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar V6
Looks like it's transmission fluid. Found a video on YouTube. Hopefully not to late to fix the issue. Will update tomorrow with status after repairs

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It looks like this is another "help me" thread with no resolution as to how it was resolved.

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like this is another "help me" thread with no resolution as to how it was resolved.

Poor guy, he ran the engine with double the recommended oil capacity and an empty transmission/converter.

Probably just too embarrassed to post here again after that mistake.

Hope no major damage was caused.