Hemi tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 1500 with 100k kms and I also have a tick. I can hear it when passing buildings and it reflects back at me

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
That's a Hemi for ya! Like mentioned I can hear it more when near buildings or in parking decks.

OP
OP
B

Bam2880

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you noticed any oil making it better

junior81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 crew cab sport
Engine
im on my second oil change running royal purple and i wanna say i only hear it at start up for 5min then goes away

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
+1 on the RP. My HEMI tick is nonexistent.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's not bad but I'm not there in person. Google hemi tick there are plenty of causes but I think the 2 main ones for the 4th gens is exhaust or lifter noise. If it is lifter noise it is due to a dry condition at start up. So the way to eliminate it is to have the lifters protected when they are dry. Most high quality oils use Molybdenum for dry conditions at startup, it is in almost all oils but the recent version of Royal Purple does not have it. The oil that has the most Moly and best synthetic base is Redline, look at the synthetic thread for all the info. My tick was more like a knock at startup and when I switched to Redline I have not heard it since. However, if your engine is ticking after it is fully warm with so few miles, it is more likely that could either be exhaust tick or just normal Hemi sound.

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It helps also to have an oil filter with an anti drain back valve.

OP
OP
B

Bam2880

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't hear the sound on a cold startup only when hot

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Again, I can't hear the problem, but the dealer should take you serious if you come in. There have been times where a tick was due to a faulty or defective lifters. It is very rare and in this case the tick actually gets louder when the oil gets warmer. It is completely different from lifter tick at dry conditions, it actually is a serious problem and dodge would replace the lifters if that is the case.

The Anti Drain valve is a great invention and makes oil get to the top end faster then not using one, but it doesn't keep lifters lubricated when the oil is not pumping. It just keeps the filter full and some of the line behind it, so those areas aren't empty when the engine starts. Startup wear has always been a problem for engines that they still have not figured out. Several things make it better, but it is still a problem and that is when the most wear occurs. Some day they will have a solar battery back up that keeps the oil flowing 24/7, until then our lifters are dry at startup.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With an engine as prone to tick as ours, they should have oil squirters which blast the lifters/head with oil a split second before cranking the starter.
I exlcusively use the Wix filters through Amsoil and only have a slight tick at startup which goes away quickly. I listen for it, and would experiment with different filters if it ever got worse.

OP
OP
B

Bam2880

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what exactly causes the hemi to tick when the engine is fully warmed up?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what exactly causes the hemi to tick when the engine is fully warmed up?

Here is a video example of it

My best guess is when the oil is warm it thins out and if there is a loose condition it gets worse. When your engine is cold your oil is at it's thickest, so a loose condition would be less pronounced. That is my guess "if" it is lifter tick, there are other possibilties.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, experimenting wisely as suggested by Bob is the oil guy, might be wise then?

thehemiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i also had the "hemi tick" but now its gone!!! all i did was change the exaust manifold gaskets and now she sounds like a new truck! I have 160000 miles on her so the studs had rusted thru and the heat sheild was just basiclly sitting there. replaced the gaskets which was $15 at orieleys and got new studs and bolt from the dealer for about $30 a side! It has been about 10,000 miles since i done this and its still quiet! Good luck guys

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone tried adding some ATF to their fuel to fix this?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is ATF in the oil. not the gas right?