Hemi tick, possibly lifters from what I've been reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackram72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I bought my 2010 5.7 hemi ram 1500 little over a year ago and still don't know as much as Id like to, but I'm learning. So upon start I have a slight tick that goes away after the truck warms up a little bit. From what I've been reading about these engines is that it is probably the lifters. I am just wondering if there is anything that I can do to avoid having issues with those as they get worse over time? I read a couple threads talking about adding a high pressure oil pump. I currently change the oil every 3k miles and keep the truck pretty well maintained. The truck does have 180k miles currently on it and climbing. Obviously the engine isn't going to last forever but there has to be something that you can do to at least slow down the process. The engine does run nice and I haven't had any issues besides that annoying tick.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I bought my 2010 5.7 hemi ram 1500 little over a year ago and still don't know as much as Id like to, but I'm learning. So upon start I have a slight tick that goes away after the truck warms up a little bit. From what I've been reading about these engines is that it is probably the lifters. I am just wondering if there is anything that I can do to avoid having issues with those as they get worse over time? I read a couple threads talking about adding a high pressure oil pump. I currently change the oil every 3k miles and keep the truck pretty well maintained. The truck does have 180k miles currently on it and climbing. Obviously the engine isn't going to last forever but there has to be something that you can do to at least slow down the process. The engine does run nice and I haven't had any issues besides that annoying tick.
I have the same issue at start up. RAM says that it's normal because your oil has settled so it has to flow back through the engine at start up and take a moment or two for the lifters or other parts to become properly coated in oil. The (Not RAM official) posts I have read recommend letting the truck warm up for about 3-minutes or so before driving. I have NOT had any problems with engine issues except for a pedal commander I had in the system originally - which I recently removed due to accelerator dropping voltage on pin 2 and causing me to go into limp mode. Since removing the PC, I haven't had any other issues. I change my oil every 10k, and only use Mobil One full synthetic and oil filters. I am going to add an oil catch can soon. Changing your oil every 3000 miles is probably a little bit of overkill, but I'm not knocking that! If you're not using synthetic, and decide to switch, I've heard you should avoid switching back to fossil if at all possible, but I don't know why there would be a difference TBH - esp. with as frequent as your changes are.

V/R

Marc

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
Warning! I'm not a mechanic guy but do pay attention to this site and the posts. A tick that goes away on warm up may be the exhaust manifold bolts. The symptoms you discuss were identical to mine which required the bolts to be replaced and no problems since. I also have read several posts that mention the tick can occur for short periods and disappear on warm up for the reasons stated above.....that it takes a bit for the oil to get to the lifters. Theres a few u tube posts regarding this. From what i understand (which isn't much:) the hemi tick should be noticeable throughout the driving period but less so when warm. Broken exhaust bolt are relatively easy to diagnose by a pro so i'd start there....if your convinced that its the tick check out the synthetic oil posts and Burla's numerous posts regarding this area, excellent poster btw. Don't panic and don't overthink it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Grab the back of the heat shields covering the exhaust manifolds when the enginnes cold,and see if they wiggle,if they move with a tug,odds are you have broken exhaust manifold bolts.
Search out the multitude of oil and filter threads for advice on oils and filters,there's a whole bunch of them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357