Injectors replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you had a set of newish injectors laying around would you change out your 110k mile injectors in your truck? I picked up a set of injectors a while back for $100 that only have about 800 miles on them.... Or should I wait till I have an issue ? thoughts?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you had a set of newish injectors laying around would you change out your 110k mile injectors in your truck? I picked up a set of injectors a while back for $100 that only have about 800 miles on them.... Or should I wait till I have an issue ? thoughts?
If you have no fuel issues, I would wait

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would wait and have the new injectors checked before install.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
1000058-00-00-00-00_lg.png

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I should have given a little more info... Lately I have been suffering from poor fuel mileage and sporadic performance and running very rich.... even tuned to correct the issue.
I recently put the truck back to 100% stock to see if that changes the rich fueling.... It didn't, you can smell it in the exhaust, thats how heavy it is and in a fuel injected motor its not something I should be smelling. That what makes me think I have a bad or poor performing injector as I sometimes get a rough idle with no code and sometimes smooth as silk....

If I spend the time to pull and inspect, I might as well just replace them since I have them is what I'm thinking. I need to check plugs and see whats going on

Last edited:

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ah yes, since you are going to pull the injectors, change them in the process

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah just swap them. Does your truck fire up easy?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So the story changes...

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah just swap them. Does your truck fire up easy?

Most of the time yes, but there is the rare occasion of a long crank or having to bump the TIP start again. Its kinda why I'm on the fence of what to do... I guess its the nothing ventured nothing gained view...
I think I'm just going to swap them out and if they are still good and not nasty looking I'll keep them around as spares..

Do you know the Ohm resistance one should have? usually around .02 to .05 ohm is the case on many but just want to check them while I'm at it.

So the story changes...

Nah, just didn't give all the details I should have... cause really it could just be the spark plugs that are due for a change causing the issue... although it still had the rich fuel with brand new plugs.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Computer and oscilloscope? (Do people still use those on cars))
I dunno the pulse width or timing for the injectors though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know. For it to smell in the exhaust, I would think the injectors would be letting too much gas through, which I don't know would be the problem with older injectors. I think you might get the opposite sometimes as carbon builds up. Go get a Bottle of Redline s1 and maybe also add a bottle of concentrated techron and get the best gas you can Shell 91, and see if your situation changes at all. It is surely possible that the carbon in the injector is causing a bad spray pattern, which maybe could lead to that, but if it was my truck, that is what I would do maybe for a tank or two. Nitrogen will clean that injector, nitrogen is the additive in PEA (Redine s-1 or Techron) and Shell 91.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do you also smell gas in the engine compartment when off?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Maybe I should have given a little more info... Lately I have been suffering from poor fuel mileage and sporadic performance and running very rich.... even tuned to correct the issue.
I recently put the truck back to 100% stock to see if that changes the rich fueling.... It didn't, you can smell it in the exhaust, thats how heavy it is and in a fuel injected motor its not something I should be smelling. That what makes me think I have a bad or poor performing injector as I sometimes get a rough idle with no code and sometimes smooth as silk....

If I spend the time to pull and inspect, I might as well just replace them since I have them is what I'm thinking. I need to check plugs and see whats going on
So I'm more familiar with sticky injectors in the diesel world, but they typically do hang open rather than being stingy with the fuel. If its been going on for awhile, pulling plugs might give you an indication (or not).

Be glad you don't have jacket water cooling for injectors in gas engines. There is a tiny easily damaged o-ring between a 150 psi cooling system and 1500-2500 psi fuel system.
When enough fuel gets into the jacket water, the cylinder liners rupture from uneven heat distribution. In a big ship's diesel, that's about a $2M overhaul.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know. For it to smell in the exhaust, I would think the injectors would be letting too much gas through, which I don't know would be the problem with older injectors. I think you might get the opposite sometimes as carbon builds up. Go get a Bottle of Redline s1 and maybe also add a bottle of concentrated techron and get the best gas you can Shell 91, and see if your situation changes at all. It is surely possible that the carbon in the injector is causing a bad spray pattern, which maybe could lead to that, but if it was my truck, that is what I would do maybe for a tank or two. Nitrogen will clean that injector, nitrogen is the additive in PEA (Redine s-1 or Techron) and Shell 91.

I've ran them before but it was when I got the truck 30k miles ago, But I will do all that to maybe clean things out. I usually run higher quality fuels and always put 91 oct in, only time it may get less is when the GF fills it up even thought she knows to put it in same as the charger.
I do not get any scent of fuel from the engine bay. I put the truck back to 100% stock, all non OEM parts have been removed and I've put some miles on it since and and haven't noticed it as much, but yet I have been really busy and didn't think to check...

I just need to buck up and tear into it, just too busy and was thinking of paying a tractor mechanic buddy to do it and since I'm not there to investigate figured it may be easier to just toss them in. Having acreage and working at a company that is understaffed makes it hard to work on the truck.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bad fuel injectors or could be O2 as well. I had a lot of misfires on mine and all my injectors (220k+miles on them) were out of spec. Change injectors out and new O2's now just need to do a run and retune. Truck runs way better and got 3mpg back :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bad fuel injectors or could be O2 as well. I had a lot of misfires on mine and all my injectors (220k+miles on them) were out of spec. Change injectors out and new O2's now just need to do a run and retune. Truck runs way better and got 3mpg back :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Didn't even think of that, Would figure it would toss a code for it but maybe not. I'll have to look into testing them and or replacing them.
If weather permits this weekend and I get the front clip of the Blazer I'm going to dive in and do Plus, maybe injectors and inspect the O2 sensors

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
O2 sensors, map, ect, pcv & ccv + the lines for those, intake or exhaust leak.... Quite a bit can cause an overly rich or lean condition