JBA longtubes with Y installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's why you had trouble. JBA did not release the new 8sp Y-pipe until March of this year, so the one you bought was 5/6 speed specific. The new Y-pipe clears the 8sp transmission without any trouble.

That figures,lol. We both specifically asked the supplier if the Y pipe we were getting would fit properly,and supposedly JBA told our supplier the Y pipe we were getting would clear everything.I kinda hold JBA somewhat responsible now,lol.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[yt]KwUwu8SeORk[/yt]

[yt]x7aSK_VcpYc[/yt]

Few clips of the truck. It has the catless JBA LT's with an 18" Maganaflow and the stock resonators. It had just lightly drizzled so traction was in short supply. Actually spun through most of my gears in the second video and had a scary moment haha. Plan to get better vids when its dry. These videos suck.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go no cats it makes a sound that you may think its leaking but really it's not

I can vouch for this. Damn near burned myself looking for a leak that wasn't there after my install. It's most prevalent around 2500 rpm under WOT, other than that it sounds like headers to me. I'm so glad I didn't have to chase leaks.

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can vouch for this. Damn near burned myself looking for a leak that wasn't there after my install. It's most prevalent around 2500 rpm under WOT, other than that it sounds like headers to me. I'm so glad I didn't have to chase leaks.

Can you describe the sound? I swear I have a leak as that is what it sounds like upon start up and under throttle but I can't find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can you describe the sound? I swear I have a leak as that is what it sounds like upon start up and under throttle but I can't find it.

ive thought the same and spent hours checking for leaks and there were none .its just the nature of the beast. i wraped mine and it almost entirely went away.

tuned by Jay Greene

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is what I'm describing what you heard?

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Just sounded like an exhaust leak at the collector. To me it sounded like it was on the passenger side. I checked and checked and checked, there was no leak.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The headers are a lot thinner than cast manifolds. So you will hear more engine noises.

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad that's all it is, I was going a little crazy

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm glad that's all it is, I was going a little crazy

it drove me crazy too. go on amazon and get 3 rolls of header wrap and wrap them and the y- pipe and it will make a big difference

tuned by Jay Greene

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm afraid to wrap them, I live in Wisconsin, the winters are not nice. I may wrap the y pipe though

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that video is useless because in no way shape form or fashion can you compare the motor to our motor. yes everybody says 1 3/4 are better for our trucks and I also have 1 7/8 but in a 8 speed 3.92 you spend way more time in the upper rpm range with that combo than with other combos hints the more time your in that range the more power you make for a longer amount of time which makes you go faster or at least the same for less cost. what I'm getting at is I bet there isn't enough difference in the two hp wise and the cost difference is pretty substantial but if your running say a 6 speed with 3.21 then I'd say 1 3/4 but an 8 speed any gear I'd say both would be fine and I'd bet the 1 7/8 would be a little better up top oh and also Matt has said before that 8 speed 3.92 is a whole different animal and 1 7/8 will do just fine. obx is half the cost

tuned by Jay Greene

I think most people don't take into account that there are so many variables, I think Engine Masters is kinda on to something still but yet they didn't test all the variables also.
For most people their need and desire and capability to test or use that power, they will never really see the difference or know. But for people like Matt and other drag racers or tuners I think they will because they are constantly changing parts to find that next 10th of their time. Something Most will not take the time or spend the $$$ to do.... It is expensive to truely test and tune a motor and once you change one thing you can upset the balance of another...
For the Average guy I think either will work but the 1-3/4 is recommended due to the typical use and butt dyno feel to make people happy...

If someone is building a purpose built Ram then they need to look at all the variables and will prob be changing and tweaking things constantly and what they experience may not parlay to another novice that only has 1/4 the mods....
in summary just gotta do our homework and see what fits our build and use

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm afraid to wrap them, I live in Wisconsin, the winters are not nice. I may wrap the y pipe though

they make a silicone header wrap spray that you can put on them thats supposed to stop them from deteriorating

tuned by Jay Greene

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they make a silicone header wrap spray that you can put on them thats supposed to stop them from deteriorating

tuned by Jay Greene

I'll look into it!