K&N drop in filter for stock air box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is worth getting? I do not want to put a full intake in

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know details but they do flow better than your run of the mill paper filter. They can be expensive but you won't ever need to replace it again as long as you clean and oil it properly

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know details but they do flow better than your run of the mill paper filter. They can be expensive but you won't ever need to replace it again as long as you clean and oil it properly

They don't really flow better , and get dirty faster. I just use the paper filter. Your cai box delivers more air than your stock hemi can use. Ask yourself this if there was any truth about better gas mileage by just changing the filter. Chrysler world have done it to help with getting the mileage up. The Goodyear tires are mainly for gas mileage. You have active shutters and lower valence all for gas mileage.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Only benefit of a drop in k&n filter is that you never have to buy smother filter, just keep cleaning the k&n. Otherwise, there is no performance benefit from this.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was wondering this as well, so thanks for posting. I'm thinkin of just doing an intake this summer/fall.

Adam

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the K/N drop in filter and there is no difference from a stock filter. Its not worth the money, luckily mine was free.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was wondering this as well, so thanks for posting. I'm thinkin of just doing an intake this summer/fall.

Adam

Doing the intake is no better either. More of a waste of money. If you want it because you think it looks cool or sounds mean, that would be the only reason to get one.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you feel the need to by an aftermarket filter so you do not need to keep replacing filters. I would look into a DRY filter. if you over oil the K&N it can potentially foul the MAF sensor. K&N's are known to allow more dirt through the filter then the OEM filters. Yes "better" flow at the sacrifice of poor filtration in my experience's w/ K&N.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What they said... I just did this about a month or two ago. At first, I saw better results, but that's only because I went from a dirty filter to a new one. Now, that I've got some time on the K&N, I'm back to my normal mpgs. It's not really worth it, other than I can clean it and put it back in, which in my opinion, I'd just rather buy a paper filter and swap them out. I'll keep the K&N for a while and get my money out of it after a few cleanings, though.

OP
OP
bri6679

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the info... sounds like a waste of money I'll stick with the stock filter

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They don't really flow better , and get dirty faster. I just use the paper filter. Your cai box delivers more air than your stock hemi can use. Ask yourself this if there was any truth about better gas mileage by just changing the filter. Chrysler world have done it to help with getting the mileage up. The Goodyear tires are mainly for gas mileage. You have active shutters and lower valence all for gas mileage.

The goodyears are not for for gas mileage at all. It's called a corporate contract for the use of the cheapest goodyears for the trucks. Chrysler could have gotten low rolling resistant tires for a touch better fuel mileage but they are more expensive. We have the bottom of the rung tires period.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SRA's are not just on Chryslers. They are a P rated tire that is all many pickup / SUV owners will need tire to be rated.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the K&N it pays for it self at the same cost as throwing 3 quality paper filters in the trash.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the K&N it pays for it self at the same cost as throwing 3 quality paper filters in the trash.

The next time you take your K&N out run your finger around the inside of the intake tube and then come back and tell us they're a good deal.

I read a thread on another forum where an engine builder was a sponsor.He thanked people for running K&N's.He stated that these filters brought him lots of business.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that the factory filter is way bigger than it needs to be in most cases,so they will flow all the air you'll ever need if they're in good shape.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The next time you take your K&N out run your finger around the inside of the intake tube and then come back and tell us they're a good deal.

I read a thread on another forum where an engine builder was a sponsor.He thanked people for running K&N's.He stated that these filters brought him lots of business.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that the factory filter is way bigger than it needs to be in most cases,so they will flow all the air you'll ever need if they're in good shape.
I can attest to this, I just took mine off and the interior of the tube was coated in a fine dust that was "dried on". The dust was akin to what you see on your truck after driving down a gravel road except beige in color.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The goodyears are not for for gas mileage at all. It's called a corporate contract for the use of the cheapest goodyears for the trucks. Chrysler could have gotten low rolling resistant tires for a touch better fuel mileage but they are more expensive. We have the bottom of the rung tires period.

I can tell you this if you put the Bridgestone duelers on this truck. The gas mileage would drop. That's what came on my 08 Z71. Cost maybe a factor for sure. I know the rolling resistance is better with the GY versus the Bridgestone.These GY are sad tires for a truck. I will disagree with you that there was no thought of fuel mileage, when Chrysler picked these tires.:favorites13:

OP
OP
bri6679

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what tires are better bf at's?

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This thread answered my questions about the K&N drop in. I was thinking, why buy the tube and a box when I already have one in the stock system when I can get the K&N drop in? After reading this thread, maybe I'll just stick to stock...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This thread answered my questions about the K&N drop in. I was thinking, why buy the tube and a box when I already have one in the stock system when I can get the K&N drop in? After reading this thread, maybe I'll just stick to stock...
I went back to stock from a K&N filter. I think I'm gonna try an AEM dry filter once the OEM filter needs replacing.

Anyone have any thoughts about the AEM filters?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk