Oil Filter Housing Inquiry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Howdy Ya'll - I know I searched this lol, but I like to top off researched knowledge with fresh knowledge if possible.

Wife's 2014 Ram 1500 V6 - when we bought it and moved, we didn't have any issues. Fast Forward a couple of months I crawl under it for the first oil change and notice the rear side of the oil pan wet with a little oil - cars I knew growing up, well a semi-wet oil pan wasn't a sign for a huge worry - I put it low on our list to work on eventually. Fast forward a few months to our first Kentucky Winter - it was not too cold, but when it got cold, a very small leak occurred - leaving a few spots not just one - researched and said ok - we will put the Oil Filter Housing on our list.

Fast forward - I should have acted on the list sooner, but life happens and we were going through a lot. Any way - throughout the summer and fall this recent I could smell a light oil burn smell - said well that ain't normal, but it's consistent - so I would think it was related to the oil filter housing drip. small spots haven't grown, and they were inconsistent (as was the temperatures) - but then we got hit by this bitter cold snap with a wee bit of snow on the ground, went up to get the trash cans and noticed my wife left a trail of oil drips along the driveway as she drove off - I picked it up to smell and make sure it was oil - and said ahh crap.

she came home that night and I crawled under and saw oil everywhere underneath (not like massive dripping oozing amounts but a thin enough layer that it's coated all kinds of stuff) - and I said poop, looks like we need to pick up the pace and get this done. I checked today before she drove off to work because I am trying to confirm - I did get the little ladder out and crawled over the engine to try to see behind the filter housing, what I could see were wet spots of oil (again not a large amount) - but that should be totally dry, so if there's oil back there it's definitely my leak spot. I guess I just wanted some confirmation on that, can't afford a boatload of parts right now - but I see oil up there behind it with a flashlight, I couldn't see into a "Valley" but enough was up there to make me say it's got to be the culprit.

So the next question after confirmation - are we using the aluminum housings from SKP or Dorman, or are we using plastic housings? I've read conflicting information - something about the aluminum housings having a separate issue although that's all the conflicting information is labeled as - in my theory I take it from my water pump stand point - all the plastic fin water pumps I put in seem to fail whereas the metal fin ones survive :) so it seems like my repair work prefers the metal so in this case I'm leaning aluminum - any extra thoughts or reasons to use the plastic housing over aluminum? And thoughts on SKP vs Dorman?

Sorry for the long book - I don't have photos at the moment but descriptively oil is everywhere in a buzz lightyear fashion and too much ice on the ground to get down there and clean it off at the moment - up top is where I inspected and saw a good bit of wet oil behind the oil filter housing, on the bolts for the oil cooler on it etc.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
2014 Jeep Cherokee 3.2 Pentastar uses the same Dorman aluminum filter housing also.
Replaced 2 years ago.......still working well

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Howdy Ya'll - I know I searched this lol, but I like to top off researched knowledge with fresh knowledge if possible.

Wife's 2014 Ram 1500 V6 - when we bought it and moved, we didn't have any issues. Fast Forward a couple of months I crawl under it for the first oil change and notice the rear side of the oil pan wet with a little oil - cars I knew growing up, well a semi-wet oil pan wasn't a sign for a huge worry - I put it low on our list to work on eventually. Fast forward a few months to our first Kentucky Winter - it was not too cold, but when it got cold, a very small leak occurred - leaving a few spots not just one - researched and said ok - we will put the Oil Filter Housing on our list.

Fast forward - I should have acted on the list sooner, but life happens and we were going through a lot. Any way - throughout the summer and fall this recent I could smell a light oil burn smell - said well that ain't normal, but it's consistent - so I would think it was related to the oil filter housing drip. small spots haven't grown, and they were inconsistent (as was the temperatures) - but then we got hit by this bitter cold snap with a wee bit of snow on the ground, went up to get the trash cans and noticed my wife left a trail of oil drips along the driveway as she drove off - I picked it up to smell and make sure it was oil - and said ahh crap.

she came home that night and I crawled under and saw oil everywhere underneath (not like massive dripping oozing amounts but a thin enough layer that it's coated all kinds of stuff) - and I said poop, looks like we need to pick up the pace and get this done. I checked today before she drove off to work because I am trying to confirm - I did get the little ladder out and crawled over the engine to try to see behind the filter housing, what I could see were wet spots of oil (again not a large amount) - but that should be totally dry, so if there's oil back there it's definitely my leak spot. I guess I just wanted some confirmation on that, can't afford a boatload of parts right now - but I see oil up there behind it with a flashlight, I couldn't see into a "Valley" but enough was up there to make me say it's got to be the culprit.

So the next question after confirmation - are we using the aluminum housings from SKP or Dorman, or are we using plastic housings? I've read conflicting information - something about the aluminum housings having a separate issue although that's all the conflicting information is labeled as - in my theory I take it from my water pump stand point - all the plastic fin water pumps I put in seem to fail whereas the metal fin ones survive :) so it seems like my repair work prefers the metal so in this case I'm leaning aluminum - any extra thoughts or reasons to use the plastic housing over aluminum? And thoughts on SKP vs Dorman?

Sorry for the long book - I don't have photos at the moment but descriptively oil is everywhere in a buzz lightyear fashion and too much ice on the ground to get down there and clean it off at the moment - up top is where I inspected and saw a good bit of wet oil behind the oil filter housing, on the bolts for the oil cooler on it etc.

@crackerjack1957 has your antidote ... common issue with the Pentastar v-6.

OP
OP
B

Brandonian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Thanks to both of you, much appreciated! Why can't they just build cars like they used to lol. Guess I was just looking for confirmation that was more than likely my culprit and the aluminum housing was the way to go.

We were debating on using this extended service warranty we bought with it - but after research where we moved to does not have a preferred service place so our deductible is $200 instead of $100, and they would just replace it with another plastic housing. So for a little more than the deductible I could do this job myself. Rather do it myself anyway I suppose - I always find an issue made by someone else it seems that works on my vehicles.

OP
OP
B

Brandonian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Does anybody have the Oring kit part number from Mopar? I read something about a TSB calling for a new "RED" Oring kit on 2014 and newer vehicles that was separate? Or are you just using the Orings and seals that come with the Dorman housing? Sorry - I plan to do it once and that's it :).