Magnaflow/Carven comparison?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone compared the 14" Magnaflow and the Carven Progressive set ups on their personal trucks. I have a 14" Magnaflow now and am wondering if the Progressive is louder or about the same as far as noise level. Before it gets brought up I have zero interest in the Carven Competitor. Only interested in the Progressive. Thanks.

Ghost2013SCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy did the swap from 14” Maggy to Carven Progressive. I had the 14” Maggy as well. After hearing the Progressive compared to my Maggy, I went with the Competitor/R-Series. The Progressive is louder than the Maggy but not but whopping deference. We both have crew cabs, resonators, and 5” tips. After hearing the comparison, I wanted something more aggressive and went Competitor. A lot of people are worried the Competitor is too loud but it’s really not. At cold start, it’s loud for sure. But once it’s warmed up, there’s a nice rumble at idle. I drive a mix of highway and in town driving daily and regularly long highway trips about twice a month. On the highway, you can barely tell the Competitor is there...no drone. The mean aggressive growl is there around mid range load and actually quiets down at full throttle. I know the Competitor is not what you’re looking but these are my thoughts after comparing the 3 in person. Check out the attached link. It’s a good side by side comparison of the 14” magnaflow vs. the Competitor. Again I know you’re not interested but it should help you decide.
https://youtu.be/1g9zoHsatRs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Mufflex dod14m on My 2012 reg cab express and I just installed the Carven progressive on My 2016 crew cab... YES, the Carven progressive is louder! I LOVE IT...MUCH better time imho!!!

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes you guys like the carven more than the magnaflow. Listening to the videos I can’t tell much difference. I was thinking about switching but not sure if it is worth it. Also has anyone pulled a trailer with this muffler? I know the magnaflow gets pretty loud going down the highway with a trailer behind.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
My magnaflow is mean from time you turn rather key to the time your ripping up a hill. Great sounding exhaust. No raspy crack. Just low deep rumble. I love it ❤️

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Carven will be louder and have a nice deep tone. Plus Carven uses a better quality stainless steel which is a plus.

Let me know if we can help you with your purchase. We offer discounts to the members

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gary's Hemi

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy did the swap from 14” Maggy to Carven Progressive. I had the 14” Maggy as well. After hearing the Progressive compared to my Maggy, I went with the Competitor/R-Series. The Progressive is louder than the Maggy but not but whopping deference. We both have crew cabs, resonators, and 5” tips. After hearing the comparison, I wanted something more aggressive and went Competitor. A lot of people are worried the Competitor is too loud but it’s really not. At cold start, it’s loud for sure. But once it’s warmed up, there’s a nice rumble at idle. I drive a mix of highway and in town driving daily and regularly long highway trips about twice a month. On the highway, you can barely tell the Competitor is there...no drone. The mean aggressive growl is there around mid range load and actually quiets down at full throttle. I know the Competitor is not what you’re looking but these are my thoughts after comparing the 3 in person. Check out the attached link. It’s a good side by side comparison of the 14” magnaflow vs. the Competitor. Again I know you’re not interested but it should help you decide.
https://youtu.be/1g9zoHsatRs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just do not like the tone of the Competitor. Just sounds like a muffler delete...which is basically what it is other than 2 baffles. I took off my resonators and have the 14" Magnaflow which I like the sound, just looking for around at other mufflers. If I did the Competitor I no longer have the resonators so it will basically be straight pipe, not happening. Lol

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my MagnaFlow but it's always great to hear feedback from people like Ghost who have experience with multiple products.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Listening to that video the carven just sounds deeper. I’m still on the fence too because I don’t want any drone

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Listening to that video the carven just sounds deeper. I’m still on the fence too because I don’t want any drone

The only system I can say will have no drone at all is the Corsa catback. it sounds great too

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the GIBSON MWA on my truck, less drone than magnaflow and awesome sound at the tail pipe.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weld on or bolt on all I want is a muffler replacement, don’t want a full $1800 system

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Your going to get drone with both of them. Just downshift when the drone kicks on. Your RPMS will go a bit higher but no more drone. I drop mine from 8th into 7th boom drone gone.

If you want drone free... Corsa but $$$$$. Up to you.

PC RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Weld on or bolt on all I want is a muffler replacement, don’t want a full $1800 system

The mufflex dod14m and the carven progressive are both bolt on I believe

PC RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the Mufflex dod14m on My 2012 reg cab express and I just installed the Carven progressive on My 2016 crew cab... YES, the Carven progressive is louder! I LOVE IT...MUCH better time imho!!!
What kind of setup did you do? Just the bolt on? Did you also do the 5” tips or is it all stock with the progressive?

PC RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carven will be louder and have a nice deep tone. Plus Carven uses a better quality stainless steel which is a plus.

Let me know if we can help you with your purchase. We offer discounts to the members

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’m starting to think the Carven Progressive is the one I’ll be going with. Do you have a discount code? Thanks man

Dhill29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Carven Competitor, there is a small amount of drone, but not all the time. Big rumble at cold start up, but quiet at highway speed. If you stomp the gas there is a huge rumble.
Have gotten a lot of compliments from guys at work and they are all Motorhead type guys.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Exhaust is a personal choice. What I like may be too mellow for you, and what you like might sound @$$hole loud to me.

It's your truck, do with it what you will...just don't drive through my neighborhood during sleeping time.

Don't buy the first muffler you see or hear. Do your homework and buy once for the life of your ownership. Just say'n.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of setup did you do? Just the bolt on? Did you also do the 5” tips or is it all stock with the progressive?
Yes, I installed the bolt in muffler. I also installed the 5" tips by Mufflex (I prefer the look of these tips) and it still sounds great!!!!