mod questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryhipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just traded my 2006 2500 ram for a 2013 sport 1500 8spd 3.92 4x4.
very disappointed in the throttle response vs my old dodge. however i know its curable. i'm mainly a city stop and go driver. 90% city 10% highway. 0-60 guy or 1/4 mile driver. i've been online for a few weeks looking. so i've learned a couple things. but need a few answers. the mods i may do over time include:

tuner ( which one?)
pedal commander
moe's 87mm tb
mufflex 24"
catch can
air intake ( which one?)
headers ( which one and still pass mass inspection?)

now ive heard of the hemifever tune thing. but what tuner is required? and if he can tune my 8sp, will i still need a pedal commander? plus i know longtube headers are the best. but i live in massachusetts so i don't think i can have them. but not sure. other questions are.....is there anything im missing and in what order should i do these mods. as it will be over a duration of time cause im not rich. lol. thanks in advance for any and all advice.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You are on the right path choosing to do intake, exhaust and programming.

Long tube headers are better suited for upper RPM power. If ya gotta do headers, for your type of driving, I'd go with shorty headers which improve low end and mid range power.

Tuner - Yes - Diablosport
Pedal Commander - You may not need it with a good tune.
87MM BT - No real appreciable gains noted with these unless you plan on camming the engine.
Mufflex 14" - Kinda loud...actually, pretty damn loud. Keep your stock resonator if you go with this muffler.
catch can - It's of matter of opinion but having run one on my 300 SRT8 since 2007 and having dumped it each time I've changed my oil, I say Yes given how much dirty oil I've kept out of the intake by using it.
Air intake - Good question but many here like the Vararam. I like S&B products and how they bring in true cold air but you'll have to do some research for your specific truck. Try to find one that utilizes the OEM cold air inlet, that has a larger filter box and a clean smooth tube from the box to the TB.
Headers - Unknown who passes Mass Inspection as I am not up on those rules. I'd check around a bit. I believe JBA enjoys 50 state legal status. I've used their headers in the past and was very impressed with their quality and performance.

I'd do the intake, exhaust and programmer first.

Hemifever (Sean) works predominantly with Diablosport programmers and software. He can tune for firmer shifts and WOT shift points.

I'd try this before going any further into the mods.

Just my .02

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do a Pedal Commander first.

You will gain more from that than all of those other mods. Trust me.
You will feel more than those others and may cure that itch.

Sent from my iPhone 7+

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Mufflex 14 and I really like it. I would not say it's too loud but that's just my opinion. It's only the single swept side outlet, the duals will be louder.

OP
OP
J

jerryhipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah i'll probably go with 18'' or 24''. i don't want real loud. i just want more than factory. maybe the 24'' with a c.a.i. and headers will be good

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Jerry I returned your PM, let us know if we can. Help you with the other mods as well.

We can definitely set you up with an intake and we have lots of options for exhaust! Need to let that hemi breath and really hear it to add to the driving experience!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do a Pedal Commander first.

You will gain more from that than all of those other mods. Trust me.
You will feel more than those others and may cure that itch.

Sent from my iPhone 7+

A PC isnt going to gain more than a custom motor/trans tune. Something that only bumps up the peddle voltage isnt going to show the same gains as bumping the timing, fine tuning the trans, etc. Expecially his truck being an 8 speed there is alot left on the table w/o a custom tune and the fact that a 2013 doesnt need an unlocked pcm a custom tune isnt too much more than a PC. Its a win win. You will need a tune anyway if you plan on longtubes

Last edited:

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A PC isnt going to gain more than a custom motor/trans tune. Something that only bumps up the peddle voltage isnt going to show the same gains as bumping the timing, fine tuning the trans, etc. Expecially his truck being an 8 speed there is alot left on the table w/o a custom tune and the fact that a 2013 doesnt need an unlocked pcm a custom tune isnt too much more than a PC. Its a win win. You will need a tune anyway if you plan on longtubes

For every day drive ability and under the curve feeling, Absolutely YES he will gain more with a PC than all of those other mods.

Please don't give the OP bad information if you don't have any experience with the PC.

How often are you driving vs WOT? What will OP experience more, part throttle or WOT?
Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone 7+