Muffler delete or resonator delete or both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I'm looking to get a little more sound (very little - a little throaty you know) and more performance out of my engine. I was checking out videos on youtube with muffler delete pipes and resonator delete. Should I do one? Both? WOuld this increase performance, decrease performance? Does it have an effect on gas mileage as the factory backpressure has changed? Computer problems (again, with the backpressure)?

I drive a new pentastar 3.6l v6 and love it, I've done few mods, but and mostly looking to get a little more performance and regain a little bit of that truck sound coming out of the pipe. Thoughts? Anyone tried it on this engine?

Thanks,

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not familiar with the V6 in these trucks, but I would recommend a bolt-in muffler replacement and leave the resos in. I have not heard of any gains from removing them and, if nothing else, they add more expansion room for the sound and could help to deepen the tone a little. I believe the Magnaflow bolt-on that guys have used for the V8 would work in the V6. I think the pipes are the same, from the cats to the muffler, but not 100% sure. Maybe someone else will chime in? Good luck to you!

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Also, if you don't have exhaust tips, you could put a little larger diameter stainless tip on to help deepen the tone.

OP
OP
G

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
Thanks guys. I'm seriously considering it, but I've heard from different forums (for cars) that it decreases the gas mileage, is this true as well? I figured more airflow might increase the gas mileage or at least keep it even with the power. This truck needs to breathe!

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The fuel mileage, in my opinion, is lost because of a loss in bottom end torque. This causes people to give it more gas to take off and the raised fuel consumption. If you open it up too big, it will lose some bottom end grunt, but a mild chambered muffler will have plenty of backflow to keep the bottom end like stock while giving more power on the top and a better sound. Also, dont forget the larger diameter tips. It made a world of difference on my exhaust rumble by deepening the tone to have more bass. Good luck!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I need to google what the penstar sounds like with exhaust.

Most V6s sound like crap with exhaust. Except the VQ motor. Yes take from me, since my other car is a Supercharged V6..lol. Although the blower whine drowns out the exhaust.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure I've ever heard any body use the words throaty, bass, or rumble when describing the exhaust tone of a V6. I agree with BlownGP, every time I've heard an aftermarket exhaust on anything smaller than a V8, it sounds like it's coming thru a soup can, like those noisy little tuner cars.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Not sure I've ever heard any body use the words throaty, bass, or rumble when describing the exhaust tone of a V6. I agree with BlownGP, every time I've heard an aftermarket exhaust on anything smaller than a V8, it sounds like it's coming thru a soup can, like those noisy little tuner cars.

I might be a little biased but mine is not too horrible.
This is actually straight pipes no mufflers, no resonator with a thrush glasspack.:naughty:

Idle
GTP Exhaust, - YouTube

WOT
98 GTP vs. 06 Stang GT---bogged a litle cuz of allky - YouTube

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You guys havent heard the right set up then. Not sure what was on it, but my wife had a 2006 Mustang with the 4.0 V6 and a 5 speed and it sounded awesome. I think it had Flows on it but not sure of series. The tips were Silvertine I think. Anyway, it sounded better than most GTs that I have heard and everyone, that heard it, thought that it was a GT. V6 cars can sound great with the right setup.