My truck sounds like a train :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A few days ago I was at a drive through and thought the car behind me had some issues, well it turns out it was mine. I hear what I can only describe as an exhaust leak maybe? If you can picture the sound of a old train that sounds like air released every few seconds. Anyway, I also smell exhaust when I have my heater on.. Not sure if that's related or not but now I need to crawl under and investigate. I'm hoping it's just muffler related and not exhaust manifold related.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if your truck has donuts or not in the flange before the cat but that could be blown out. My 98 Chevy had the same issue you're describing and that's what the problem was

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a dodge, it's probably the manifold bolts that broke.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its a dodge, it's probably the manifold bolts that broke.
I sure hope not. I've been watching videos and most day the sound eventually goes away but mine never does. Also I know this can be deceiving but it sure sounds like the noise is coming from directly under the truck just behind the front doors near the back seat area.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just started the truck and can clearly hear the noise in the wheel well. Crap, I'm sure it's the manifolds. I have 73K miles

Last edited:

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just got back from the shop, not my dodge dealer and he tells me it sounds like the manifold on the passenger side has the leak. estimate of $342 to replace with a new manifold. He also tells me that he saw some coolant on the side of the engine near the head gasket and thinks I might have a head gasket leak..I'm curious though, because I don't have any white smoke on start up and I don't have any rough idle on start up nor do I have any heating issues. So I'm wondering if he's just wrong or trying to get a larger payday. Anyway I have an extended warranty so I guess I'll go to the dealer and see what they think. I took it here because they do FREE diagnosis and estimates.

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got word from my dealership today, The warranty company will cover the repairs on my exhaust manifold, head gasket and NOW they want to replace the steering rack as well. They also told me that my transmission cooler lines are leaking and those are not covered under this warranty. he quoted me $450 for those. I'll be getting those taken care of somewhere else. Anyway, another two days without my truck. I gave it to them on Monday morning for them to wait for the warranty company to send someone to inspect the truck.