New dodge MPG questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I just bought a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab TRX 4X4 with a Hemi 5.7. It is rated at 14 city and 18 highway MPG. I drove it 2.5 hours back home after buying it and averaged about 13 on the highway, brand new tires, oil, brakes, and rotors. I have since been driving it around town for a couple days and it has since dropped down to 9. I have babied this truck like no other trying to get the best MPG out of it possible. I have not put it in to 4X4 at all.

When driving it on the freeway I couldn't feel the MDS kick on (Which doesn't mean it didn't). It has factory exhaust and intake system on it.

Anyone know what could be going on to cause such a low MPG number? Like I said I am new to this and was not expecting it to be THIS terrible. Any ways to help improve it? Thanks for your help guys!!

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be gas. What octane are you running? Could also be that you are running a winter blend that does a number on mpg. How fast were you going on the highway? If it was over 65mph then your mpgs are going to suffer. Try running some fuel system cleaner through your truck, I use Lucas. Check your air filter as well, make sure it is clean. What was the air temp when you were on the highway? Colder air will drop your mpgs too.

Another thing to try is to always drive down hill with a tail wind.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to say I was running 195 degrees. I just got regular old shell gas. I was running right at 75 MPH. Is there a way to know if MDS kicks on? I bought it used at a chevy dealership so I am concerned that they didn't use 5w20 which can cause the MDS to not work properly, correct?

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I dont think mds comes on at 75mph

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
All those possible factors aside... 13/9 is not right. Somethings definately wrong. Guys with 37 inch tires and 6 inch lifts get 13/9, not brand new stock RAM's.

Either that truck is in need of one helluva break in, or the gas or something else is seriously affecting it.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All those possible factors aside... 13/9 is not right. Somethings definately wrong. Guys with 37 inch tires and 6 inch lifts get 13/9, not brand new stock RAM's.

Either that truck is in need of one helluva break in, or the gas or something else is seriously affecting it.

What's my best option? Call the dealership I bought it at that is 200 miles away and tell them, or take it to a dealership here? Thanks for your help guys. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased.

highlandchef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's my best option? Call the dealership I bought it at that is 200 miles away and tell them, or take it to a dealership here? Thanks for your help guys. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased.

I would take it to a local dealer, you'll need one anyway. Let them look at it and see if there is an issue. If they find any major issues contact the Chevy dealer you bought it from.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Check the basics like air filter condition and pull a spark plug and check its condition.

How many miles are on it?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As stated above, you could be running a winter gas blend with lower BTUs than the summer blends (or any blend without ethanol). That can hurt your mileage.

How many miles do you have on it? It's a 2009 so for all we know you could have 45K miles on it. Could be something as simple as a dirty air filter--unlikely since you bought it from a stealership, or clogged injectors. But you said new brakes which suggests fairly high miles, or model year appropriate miles anyway and that leads me back to suspect your plugs didn't get changed at 30-32K as required on the Hemi. :Wedgie:

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I want to say I was running 195 degrees. I just got regular old shell gas. I was running right at 75 MPH. Is there a way to know if MDS kicks on? I bought it used at a chevy dealership so I am concerned that they didn't use 5w20 which can cause the MDS to not work properly, correct?

Ya after about 65 mds rarely kicks on usually down hill or a good tail wind at least for me it does that

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Plugs would have needed changed at around 30,000 so check one of them, but check the filter first.

My G8 won't allow DOD "MDS" under a certain temp, but it's actuated with oil pressure. Not sure how RAM does it.

My G8 goes from getting just shy of 23mpg mixed (mostly highway) to just over 18mpg with winter fuel and tires/wheels installed.

Chris

briand7878

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am in the same boat and have been baffled!!! My truck was averaging 21 mpg on the highway when it was warm out. Ever since it got cold my mpg has been about 14 on the exact same road. I'm glad to see other people with this issue. Hopefully it is just the winter blend.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct about the oil viscosity. Anything higher than 5w20 will affect the mds and mileage. I regularly drive on the turnpike at 70 - 80 mph and still get well above 15 mpg. The only time I get less is when I'm beating the s*#t out of it. I think you have something wrong.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked with the dealership, and they couldn't tell me what they put in it but they keep 5W30 in bulk so I assume that's what they used. I have it scheduled to go to the dodge dealership to get checked out soon. Do you think a CAI and free flow exhaust will help? Another topic, but what's some good ones that won't murder my wallet?

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What all these other guys said ^ :p I drive around like a mad man with my setup and get 13 in the city and 17-18 on the freeway with out MDS and 4.10s LOL

Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal. Let it sit for a good hour disconnected. (Don't have to do it that long, but if you're just sitting at home you might as well) It will reset the computer for the driving habbits that were learned on the truck from the previous driver. I know when I do it every other week the truck acts completely different for me.

I will be trying this tomorrow evening and see if it helps. Thanks for the tip.

Intrepidacious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still, the difference between cruising at 70 with MDS versus without isn't very much, certainly not enough to drop you from a reasonable 18+ highway down to 13. I wouldn't think the winter blend would drop you that much either, but I'm from Florida so don't take much stock in that comment.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what kind of stuff could be causing it to be that low? What kid of things could be wrong? I'm not a car guru but I can usually figure out how to take stuff apart! If I take it to the dealership and tell them it's getting bad mpg will they do a real check? I called the service department and they didn't seem too worried about it.