P0307 Headache, please HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KDL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I'm having a P0307 Cylinder 7 Misfire come up repeatedly on my 2011 Ram 1500 SLT 2wd 5.7L Hemi.....The weird part about this is that the truck runs great under a normal load, when I try to catch passing gear or downshift going up a long hill the truck "ding,dings" and the engine light begins blinking and the truck starts running awful, missing and sputtering for a couple of minutes until the light quits flashing and then it runs fine again. To remedy this situation I have taken a few steps to try and fix but nothing has helped. This is what i have done so far:
1. Changed spark plugs - No Help
2. Changed #7 Coil pack - No Help ( I should have swapped it first w/ another to diagnose but i didn't)
3. Pulled valve cover to inspect Intake and Exhaust Valve Springs - Appeared good.
4. Swapped # 1 and #7 fuel injector - Initially threw a P0300 Random cylinder misfire (Pending) code but after a short drive the P0307 #7 code came back and the P0300 never manifested.
5. Added Seafoam to fuel to help clean obviously dirty injectors - Result still pending.
6. Added Seafoam to oil to possible un-stick or clean sticking or clogged Lifter - 32 miles into 200 mile regimen - result still pending.

One more thing I can mention to possibly help the guessing that surely will ensue is the infamous "Hemi Tick", this engine has had this "Tick" since I can remember and when I began this endeavor I used a stethoscope and the tick seemed to be strongest on the valve cover directly above the #7 Cylinder. Is there anyone that might have a little insight as to what the heck could be going on I am completely stumped and going CRAZY!!!!! Thanks for any help that any of you may be able to offer.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I suspect you have a damaged lifter. Only one way to check.

OP
OP
K

KDL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One more thing that I forgot to mention that I did to try to find the problem, I did a compression test on cylinders 1, 3, 5 and 7. The compression test ranged from 190 lb to 230 lb with the number 7 cylinder being the highest of all of them at 230 pounds of pressure.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the description I'd guess the P300/P307 codes are merely a symptom. "Running awful, missing and sputtering" would indicate the problem is not limited to one cylinder. There are some videos on youtube of V8s running on 7 cylinders - does your's sound like those ?
Apparently the problem shows up when the engine tries to rev higher. Maybe also have a look at the battery/charging system and fuel pump/pressure.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you've replaced or swapped the plugs,coils,injectors, then it's likely mechanical. If nothing appeared damaged in the valvetrain then it's possibly a cam/lifter issue, or even a leaking valve. I've seen a few HEMI engines eat the lifter/cam.

OP
OP
K

KDL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I'm thinking as well and instead of trying to tackle this Cam/Lifter issue outside in a gravel driveway, I think I'm going to take it to a dealer this afternoon and let them deal with it!!!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
HDL please let me know what oil you have been using?

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get this issue fixed?

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think he might have traded it in.

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same error for me for almost a year. Error comes when I sudden press the gas on 50~70mph. So I drive my truck in a conservative way, means no hard press on gas.

When the time a decided to change all the plugs, error is gone.