Recommend a ported throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4RAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 V8
I am wanting to get a ported TB for my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. I had planned on getting one from MOEs but after spendingg three days trying to reach someone via PM, email and phone messages I have given up. I have searched around quite a bit but 95% of the results are for MOEs, hence why I was wanting one. Is there another one you guys or gals can recommend? Thanks

Ps.. nothing against MOEs, I'm just impatient :Stupid Me:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Odd..I got a fairly quick responce from moes when i asked questions..$$ were decient and shipping to my neck of the woods was fast..
Sure op that there wasnt a vacation day or something..

OP
OP
4x4RAM1500

4x4RAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 V8

Thanks I'll look into that one.

Odd..I got a fairly quick responce from moes when i asked questions..$$ were decient and shipping to my neck of the woods was fast..
Sure op that there wasnt a vacation day or something..

Yeah I have heard nothing but great things. Don't know their schedule but it was this last Wednesday-Friday. Maybe they were still trying to catch up from the 4th. I would prefer theirs as most of the research and feedback I see is excellent. Thanks for your input.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fastman is better.

Jay
Got any dyno results or anything like that to back this up? I've never heard a positive review on the fastman, but I've heard a lot about the Moe's TB

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got any dyno results or anything like that to back this up? I've never heard a positive review on the fastman, but I've heard a lot about the Moe's TB

I have a 84mm fastman TB. BEST choice I ever made for throttle response and yeah I have dyno sheets. I can Rev a higher rpm(500) without loosing POWER. True bore over a ported is going to bring in more air, meaning more fuel. Quality finished product. Never tried his 80mm ported but my 84tb is even a half shaft that increases air flow 3.5%. Ditch the ported and go true. You won't regret the choice. Got an extra 80mm and ported 87mm.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I've been wondering about different throttle bodies... Fastman or Ported... is the stock TB really that much of a restriction? Would a TB upgrade coupled with S&B CAI, catback exhaust and Diablo with custom tune really show any difference?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I've been wondering about different throttle bodies... Fastman or Ported... is the stock TB really that much of a restriction? Would a TB upgrade coupled with S&B CAI, catback exhaust and Diablo with custom tune really show any difference?

Is it a restriction? Not really, you get a better throttle response with a ported TB because air is able to get past the throttle blade sooner but the Pratio doesn't change with a ported TB, people mistake the throttle response with increased peak performance. A true bore will have a performance increase if you have an increased demand such as a stroker or higher rpm where it does become the choke point because of the higher volume demand and there's a change in the Pratio.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
So realistically, for a truck with a couple bolts ons like I mentioned above, a stock TB is probably more than adequate....

OP
OP
4x4RAM1500

4x4RAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 V8
Thanks for the inputs and opinions. I like the information I have found about the Fastman and the fact that it's true. Gonna do a bit more research and then probably pick one tomorrow.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it a restriction? Not really, you get a better throttle response with a ported TB because air is able to get past the throttle blade sooner but the Pratio doesn't change with a ported TB, people mistake the throttle response with increased peak performance. A true bore will have a performance increase if you have an increased demand such as a stroker or higher rpm where it does become the choke point because of the higher volume demand and there's a change in the Pratio.

Very nice! P-ratio is exactly the measurement. Easy to tell. No dyno necessary!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thanks for the inputs and opinions. I like the information I have found about the Fastman and the fact that it's true. Gonna do a bit more research and then probably pick one tomorrow.

I did a full write up on TBs on the Z a few years ago if you haven't already read it, you can Google "Hemi throttle body" and it's like the 3rd or 4th option now.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I did a full write up on TBs on the Z a few years ago if you haven't already read it, you can Google "Hemi throttle body" and it's like the 3rd or 4th option now.

I was reading it the other day. Lots of science and good info. I should have received at it 6 months ago. I probably would have bought something other than a tb

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I had a fastman and it gave me problems. I bought it used so maybe something was wrong with it. Looked fine. Sold it and went back to stock

I've been told by a few people TB's are waste on HEMI's. Maybe with a bigger intake manifold, custom tune might squeak out a few HP.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Due to Moe's people now do it as a first mod or one of the first. When it should be just about dead last...

You should remember about 3-4 years ago when TBs were just really started coming onto the market there was a big rush for the "bigger is better" mindset, that's what prompted me to write that TB post. Too many people were jumping onto the Arrington/BBK 90mm bandwagon and hating life afterwards. You are still doing the same thing when you tell people that Dan's TB are better.

Dan's 84mm true-bore is NOT what 90% of people need, so that leaves ported TBs which stock/mild-modded people thoroughly enjoy because of the off-idle response they give. I know people that have spent thousands of dollars on a 3.92-4.10 swap and a hundred dollars on a CAI. Your engine doesn't generate more horsepower with the gears but it's more fun to drive, but the CAI will add a little bit of hp. People like the SOTP feeling of the gears (yes, I know gears will last past the initial off-idle opening of the TB), which is what a ported TB will give you and why it's so popular.

So, you can stop telling people that Dan's TBs are better and properly inform them that they don't need to install a larger diameter TB for their current/future mod level. In the mean time, a ported TB (from Dan OR Matt)will make them feel better about their truck because of a higher seat of the pants effect coming off-idle that doesn't last into higher rpms. I'd have no problem with that, anything else is just you being petty.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is a real shame, that with as much knowledge that Jay apparently has, that he has to continue to take cheap shots at a vendor on this site hoping I guess, to elevate his status as the first and last word in which mod's are best, in which order they need to be installed, and which tune/tuner is the best for everyone. His continuing negative comments only diminishes his credibility and continues to divide the forum. There should always be room for differences of opinion, and people should have the right and expectation to hear everyone that has information concerning any given subject, but those opinions should be in the form of adult, well reasoned, and civil comments, not like someone on the playground, in a sandbox, looking for attention. Most of us learned at home, If you don't have anything decent to say, don't say anything at all. I hope this will be the case. Any good, well reasoned, proven, information is of value to us all. Don't let the presentation style diminish the importance of the information.
Jay

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just degrading the forum, incredibly childish. Take that **** elsewhere. I love how helpful and, for the most part, respectful this forum had been, don't come here and ruin that. Nobody cares how knowledgeable you are if you're just an ass.

on the move..

Status
Not open for further replies.