Question on flowmaster direct fit muffler and a larger throttle body.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, i used to be a muscle car, motorhead kind of guy when i was younger, but now that i'm in my late 30's, i'm happy with my shiny new 2015 ram sport and how well put together it is out of the factory.

Performance wise, i'm not into the whole tuner thing ( primarily due to the fact that I am the one SOB that will do a tune, have something go wrong with my truck and get caught and have my warranty voided ).

So.......i was looking to do two minor mods. I was looking to grab the flowmaster direct fit muffler and possibly one of those larger throttle bodies from moes.....

1) will the flowmaster do ANYTHING at all to free up some ponies and or air flow with a more free flowing muffler? I dont know much about how much more free flowing the chambered style mufflers are or are not. I can get the direct fit through a friends discount for about $225, so instead of dropping $500+ on a cat back, is it worth it?

2) I see the 87MM CNC ported throttle body by moes is a very popular bolt on mod that can increase the hp by 10-15 ponies......

So for about $600 for both, what are your thoughts? I'm just looking for a little more kick, a nice sound and better throttle response.

Pros or cons ???

thanks !

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a replacement muffler is plenty unless you're going way in depth to it (headers and tune). We already have 3 inch piping and the cat backs use the same size so it doesn't seem worth it to me. I'm with you where I didn't want to void my warranty do I'm just doing the muffler swap and that's it.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just did the flowmaster hd 50 direct fit. I don't feel no more power and it's supposed to be setup for our hemi. I love the sound reminds me of my old muscle cars. I would just do the muffler and that's a Hell of a price. Mine was 275 shipped and that was the best I found on ebay , American thunder. The suv 50 is quiet compared to the 50 hd. Make sure your getting stainless.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If those are your only plans for the truck I wouldn't do the throttle body. A nice muffler so you know it's a hemi. I had a 14" MagnaFlow welded in. And do either a new intake or Atleast a drop in filter.

I know you don't want the tuner but it really wakes the truck up if later on down the road you change your mind

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If those are your only plans for the truck I wouldn't do the throttle body. A nice muffler so you know it's a hemi. I had a 14" MagnaFlow welded in. And do either a new intake or Atleast a drop in filter.

I know you don't want the tuner but it really wakes the truck up if later on down the road you change your mind

i know the tunes wake the motors up, but my luck is what it is and i'm not gonna bother at the current time. plus the 15's dont have the same ability to tune. I dont beelive there is a tune or tuner out there yet based on the 15's ecu

I do already have a k&n drop in, so perhaps i'll just do the flowmaster direct fit and take my nice growl

Curious why nobody says to go with the bigger throttle body though......

Last edited:

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I bolted on the ported throttle and did the vararam went for a test drive and it had a huge hesitation when I hit the gas and I'm guessing it was the TB. Luckily I had the tuner ready to plug in with the hf tune after the test drive and fixed the problem.

Also I don't think you need more fuel for a basically stock motor

I think a thread said they are 3 weeks out from having a 15 tune and new pcm I think

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second the idea of just the replacement muffler. Our Magnaflow 24" was $200. It makes it sound like a truck but NEVER too loud with zero drone, even when towing with the rear slider open, and all the exhaust from the duals spitting at the front of the trailer.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I bolted on the ported throttle and did the vararam went for a test drive and it had a huge hesitation when I hit the gas and I'm guessing it was the TB. Luckily I had the tuner ready to plug in with the hf tune after the test drive and fixed the problem.

Also I don't think you need more fuel for a basically stock motor

I think a thread said they are 3 weeks out from having a 15 tune and new pcm I think

The throttle body wont cause any lag or hesitation in the throttle. That was likely caused by the computer not being reset after installing the new mods. When you loaded your new tune, not only did it account for the new mods, but it also reset your computer which eliminated that hesitation.

Having said all that, I completely agree that you can spend your money better on an otherwise stock truck. The more mods you have, the more you will gain from a ported throttle body. Stock trucks see closer to 8-10hp where modified trucks with headers and tuner see closer to 15-16hp. You wont lose anything by adding the throttle body, but on a stock truck, you aren't going to feel much of a gain either.

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The throttle body wont cause any lag or hesitation in the throttle. That was likely caused by the computer not being reset after installing the new mods. When you loaded your new tune, not only did it account for the new mods, but it also reset your computer which eliminated that hesitation.

Having said all that, I completely agree that you can spend your money better on an otherwise stock truck. The more mods you have, the more you will gain from a ported throttle body. Stock trucks see closer to 8-10hp where modified trucks with headers and tuner see closer to 15-16hp. You wont lose anything by adding the throttle body, but on a stock truck, you aren't going to feel much of a gain either.

appreciate the honesty, i guess ill just bolt on the flowmaster and call it a day.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
A muffler swap is for what sound you want, don't expect any horse power gains. And for the throttle body you will get some good throttle response but with out a tuner you won't maximize it's potential.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a flowmaster 50hd on my 04 hemi and its irritated me for a while now, and for 2 reasons.

1) the sound is irritating in every "normal day" circumstance. Unless youre at WOT, it just drones. People asked me if my 33" A/Ts make road noise and i cant tell them because even coasting at highway speeds the drone is too loud for me to hear the road.
And 2) (the more important reason to me) its chambered. I got a new muffler to improve airflow, not sound. I wanted a magnaflow and the exhaust shop gave me this. I understand FM puts work into their mufflers, but there are simple laws of physics they cant work around. Anything that obstructs, bends, or redirects air (or anything else)creates more friction(and heat) and slows it down (why theres no real wind in a forrest or a fire hose is larger than a garden hose)

So in essence it drones terribly to the point where im embarrassed pulling up to a friends house and it doesnt improve airflow, in fact its probably worse in terms of airflow

My suggestion: im looking to replace with MagnaFlow, SpinTech, or Carven

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe you dint have resonaters and your truck is third generation. I don't get how it drones do bad when you pull up to your friend house. That almost sound like it's vibrating up against something. I get nothing but compliments when people hear mine. My cab is pretty much quiet at 60 to 70 mph.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah i have a third. So OP, maybe it wont sound irritating on a 4th gen. But as we all know, one person might hear cr@p while the other hears music so thats up for you to decide. I still hate the poor airflow

FarNorth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried the cherry bomb extreme 7427? I was thinking of getting one for my 11' 5.7. I heard theres some work that needs to be done to make it fit. Has any one come across these?

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I second the idea of just the replacement muffler. Our Magnaflow 24" was $200. It makes it sound like a truck but NEVER too loud with zero drone, even when towing with the rear slider open, and all the exhaust from the duals spitting at the front of the trailer.

I did the Mufflex 18" and for some reason I have terrible drone at 60mph. A little faster or a little slower and absolutely no drone.

evolizzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I "had" a super 40 on my mine but noticed it struggled to flow well at higher rpms. It would sound wheezy and raspy at 5000+. The mufflex eliminated the high rpm flow struggle IMO and the proof was in higher consistent trap speeds. It wasn't much higher but def consistently higher

Hemi Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
I have a FM 40 on my 3rd gen and almost no noticable drone at any speed. Inside it is actually quiet once you let off. I do have cats and no resignator. The funny thing is I did have a FM 40 before this one and it had a TON of drone to it. The new exhaust is stainless so maybe that's the difference?

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.