Royal purple, Mobil 1 extended or pennzoil platinum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been reading a lot on oil lately here on this forum. I have always ran Mobil 1 and a napa gold filter. I just want bought a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with lift and tires. Want to run a good oil and filter for this truck when it's time to change the oil. The oils I listed are the ones that seem to be in stock in my area. I can't not find the pennzoil ultra. From what I have read in the manual it seems pennzoil is what dodge recommends. Just want the best for my ride as I will drive this one until the wheels fall off. Will be changing oil every 4000 miles FYI. This is not a daily driver and more so a weekend warrior so I don't put many miles a year on it.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As you already was reading about synthetic oils and filters you should know that you will get a lot of different answers.
Synthetic oil is for allows extended oil change intervals, changing it at 4000 miles is trowing away money.
If you will keep the 4000 miles oil changes then use a good mineral oil and you save some money to use your truck more!
I run 4 stroke 3-4 liter outboard engines at sustained 5000rpm for thousands of hours and they use mineral oil and they reach easily 3000-5000 hours ...

Changing oil and filter i basically a good idea and it is my personal believe that it is better to use good mineral oil and good filter and change more often than use synthetic and change less frequent.

Chris

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If I was doing 4000 mile OCI's.? It would be an easy choice for me PYB 5W-30 with a Mopar filter.

No reason to use or buy the boutique synthetic oils I could achieve the exact same or very similar results with the PYB. Plus you get excellent cleaning and a good strong dose of Moly.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well ive always run rotella t6 full synthetic in everything i own its great in wetclutch as it has no friction additives its ment for diesel so it cleans better and it is only thing cat will warranty for use in their engines or so i was told by finning. And it will go on sale for 30ish for 5.5l ive used it for years in my audi and my motorcycles and i run it in my diesel its just great stuff IMO

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was doing 4000 mile OCI's.? It would be an easy choice for me PYB 5W-30 with a Mopar filter.

No reason to use or buy the boutique synthetic oils I could achieve the exact same or very similar results with the PYB. Plus you get excellent cleaning and a good strong dose of Moly.

so use the 5w-30 over the 5w-20 even with the mds? just want to make sure. I always ran 5w-30 in my 2005 hemi ram towards the end but it did not have mds.

Also the pennzoil platinum is not bad priced in my area. Its cheaper than mobil 1 by 4 dollars for the gallon jugs. If its better than the mobil 1 i will just run it if thats what you recommend with a wix xp filter and change every 4000 miles. would this be a good combo? In all honesty i get a discount at orileys auto parts and can buy royal purple for not much more than the pennzoil or mobil 1. Just looking at these 3 cause i can buy them local and always in stock. i just want to run the best all around out of the 3

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^ no I do not and never hardly ever recommend oil brands or viscosities to any members within these walls.

I was only telling you what I would use if I was doing 4000 mile OCI's.
I do One year OCI's. So I do not feel comfortable recommending anything to you especially with a new RAM.

I guarantee you there will be many other members chime in with their recommendation and advice. You will have to sort through it all and figure out for yourself what is best for you and your 5.7L

I don't & never have followed any Manual: To me it is only a Guideline! To most it is the "Ram Bible"!

I chose to run 5W-30 or 0W-30 & 0W-40 due to I know for ME it is a Better Option. (NEVER) a issue or malfunction with MY MDS system. No MPG drop: but I did not buy my 5.7L to conserve fuel or have hopes of achieving 27 to 30 miles per gallon.

One thing I will attempt to give advice on is: try very hard to remember these 5.7L are not cloned in the lab. They are put together (Built) by robots & by hand. None of them are exactly the same.

Each one will react differently to changes.
One brand of oil & viscosity---->That works for 2 or 3 of us or 7 of us might not be as quiet or smooth running for the other 638. Most have a very very hard time grasping that thought!

Don't get brainwashed into thinking what Oil brand & viscosity that works in my 5.7L will perform (with the same or similar) results in yours.
It just doesn't work that way in reality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ no I do not and never hardly ever recommend oil brands or viscosities to any members within these walls.

I was only telling you what I would use if I was doing 4000 mile OCI's.
I do One year OCI's. So I do not feel comfortable recommending anything to you especially with a new RAM.

I guarantee you there will be many other members chime in with their recommendation and advice. You will have to sort through it all and figure out for yourself what is best for you and your 5.7L

I don't & never have followed any Manual: To me it is only a Guideline! To most it is the Bible of Ram!

Its okay i want to learn from people in the know. You seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to oil. To be honest the more i read the more i have no idea what is good to run and what is not. Like i said money or cost is not the issue. I just want the best for my motor and what it to last a really long time. Trucks are through the roof now in price and to be honest i am tired of buying them so i want to take care of this one and maybe it will take care of me. I have a company vehicle that i drive most of the time. My truck maybe worst case will see 4000-5000 miles a year at best. So i want be changing my oil all the time anyway

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wix XP, good choice you solved half your problem. Penzoil or Mobil 1, can't go wrong with either. Me and Syn run at least 30 weight, but if you are nervous nelly type, run 20 weight you'll be fine. You will be just fine with these choices, now if you get hemi tick, we will re-evaluate. You already made good choices, no reason to make it more complicated.

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wix XP, good choice you solved half your problem. Penzoil or Mobil 1, can't go wrong with either. Me and Syn run at least 30 weight, but if you are nervous nelly type, run 20 weight you'll be fine. You will be just fine with these choices, now if you get hemi tick, we will re-evaluate. You already made good choices, no reason to make it more complicated.

Thanks fellas. This is all i needed to know. I do have one more question do you both still have your mds working or have you turned it off with tuning? I will be honest i am not a real fan of running 5w-20 and would rather run 5w-30. I don't see how it could make that much difference imho but im no engineer. I also seen where people mix 2 different weights. So worst case what do you think about running PUP in 5w20 gallon jug size and then add the other 2 qts in PUP 5w30?

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
This is what I did.the ram takes a hair over 7 qts...I mixed redline 5w-30 4qts and 3.25 redline 5w-20. Should be about 5w27.5...lol. I used royal purple 10-48 syn filter as well

This was my first time running redline...noticed a difference right away over the stock dealer synthetic. PUP is good oil as well...

I also bought. Filtermag and installed on the filter fits perfectly. Pic below

Attachments

• IMG_4802.jpg
    IMG_4802.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4807.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4809.jpg
    IMG_4809.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 117

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After wading through pages of oil change threads I go with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and a Wix XP filter. In the classic/performance car circles I run with, Wix is a notoriously awesome filter brand. Me and a buddy cut open about a half a dozen filters to see how they were made and the Wix was at the top quality wise. As far as oil, I go with the P.P. just because it's what Ram recommends, I know it's a good oil, and i don't want to give any excuses that may cause warranty issues to arise. Yeah, probably a lil paranoia on my part, but rather safe than sorry. I will say the platinum/Wix combo seems to have quieted down my hemi tick from the pyb/Mopar filter that was on it. Or maybe I'm just used to it and don't notice.....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP we all run 30 weight no problem with mds on. I personally drive in tow haul more because of gears then mds, but there wont be an issue with 30 weight.

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP we all run 30 weight no problem with mds on. I personally drive in tow haul more because of gears then mds, but there wont be an issue with 30 weight.

Thank you sir you have been a big help

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well ive always run rotella t6 full synthetic in everything i own its great in wetclutch as it has no friction additives its ment for diesel so it cleans better and it is only thing cat will warranty for use in their engines or so i was told by finning. And it will go on sale for 30ish for 5.5l ive used it for years in my audi and my motorcycles and i run it in my diesel its just great stuff IMO

I don't believe the Cat comment to be correct. I've been a heavy equipment operator for 15yrs. My current employer is constantly buying new equipment and sending equipment to Cat for rebuilds & repower. They do not use Shell Rotella oil. And I cannot remember any of my former employers using it either.
All they care about is if its a approved oil that meets their specs.

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can one of you guys tell me how to get one of those uoa kits. I would like to test my oil when I change. I think it would be kinda cool to see since I have never done it

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^Has been discussed over 2,451 times within BITOG! General Consensus is --->The test makes for an interesting conversation piece @ the coffee shop but the end results do not reflect exactly what transpires within a combustion engine.

Basically his tests has been ignored many more times then taken seriously!

I(Myself) follow those real world (reality) tests! Like those grooling Taxi Cab tests that take place in the huge cities with over 200-500k Actual stop/go driving miles with hours & hours of idle time. Along with many thousands of highway miles in the cold of winter & the hottest summer heat.

If I recall right: M1 & Amsoil both participated in this type of testing!

Those So called Controlled environment testing --->One arm bandits / dyno Oil tests don't mean an actual hill of beans to me!

Just my thoughts. Testing in a building (Controlled Environment) does not show the Actual True Performance of an oil!

The true oil test exposes an oil to extreme cold / extreme heat! Small amounts carbon & moisture contamination & fuel & coolant dilution.
Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of miles\hours of idling - heavy load - light load - stop & go - high speed (Actual) Driving.
There are Literally hundreds of factors that come into play here!
In a controlled environment you will have maybe a handful.

Once again this is only my thoughts and opinions.
If we want an oil's actual performance / true performance let's put it through real world testing not in a lab. Even though I do think the lab testing serves a small purpose the real world testing is the True / Final proving ground!

I do apologize for the long post.

Last edited:

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I switch from RP in the summer to Mobil 1 in the winter. Truck seems to like that a lot more. Just food for thought.
Another thing to add is the RP you get in Napa typically isn't the HPS or race blends you can order. Up here in Alaska I've only found one place that actually carries the HPS and not just a consumer basic grade RP like Napa.