Platinum warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When our lease was up on our 2020 Limited, we decided to purchase it outright. It only had less than 20k miles and we both love driving the truck. Besides, the interest rates at that time made us not lease a new one. So, we also signed up for the Platinum Warranty offered by the dealership so that it's a bumper to bumper "everything is covered" (supposedly) type and it has only a $100 deductible to fix anything. I get my first oil change free....ha ha ha

Are they worth it? Never had a single issue with this truck, it's been perfect since day 1, but my wife wanted peace of mind.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
When our lease was up on our 2020 Limited, we decided to purchase it outright. It only had less than 20k miles and we both love driving the truck. Besides, the interest rates at that time made us not lease a new one. So, we also signed up for the Platinum Warranty offered by the dealership so that it's a bumper to bumper "everything is covered" (supposedly) type and it has only a $100 deductible to fix anything. I get my first oil change free....ha ha ha

Are they worth it? Never had a single issue with this truck, it's been perfect since day 1, but my wife wanted peace of mind.
Impressive that you managed to get a 4 year lease.

Did you get a Mopar extended warranty (Like their MaxxCare warranty), or was it offered through a third party? You'll be able to tell just by looking at the paperwork, the Mopar extended warranty forms all have the Ram emblem in one of the corners, and you should have gotten a 'warranty card' with a number on it, it's the warranty number that a dealer would need to make a claim under the warranty.

The MaxxCare warranty I believe is only offered for something like 8 years/100k or whatever now, but still holds the $100 deductible. I had the Lifetime MaxxCare (999,999 miles and 99 years) on my '17 (got it just before they discontinued it) and it was, in my mind, very worth it. I used it a couple times to have the parking sensors replaced (they don't like salt and freezing), had a transmission gasket replaced, and then it was used to fix the MAP sensor when I traded it in.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would want to read the policy carefully before buying it. Does it force you to have routine maint done by them? Is it good at any dealer? What does it really cover? etc.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
No extended service plan is going to be bumper-to-bumper. After your basic warranty expires it is no longer a warranty...it is a service contract.

I'm all for peace of mind but read the fine print to make sure you know what you are getting into. Lots of stuff covered but not nearly as much as the basic (new vehicle "bumper-to-bumper") warranty.

Mopar does not offer a "Platinum" version so the dealership is offering a 3rd party plan (they make more money on them than Mopar MaxCare policies) or it is something the dealership itself is offering. If that is the case then that warranty would only be honored at that dealership. Sometimes it can be a good deal (great marketing for the dealership - you get your work done only with them, they can upsell you, and you are more likely to buy something off their lot since that's where you go for all your service work) but the down side to those is you might be out of luck if the ownership changes.

There's a couple of car dealerships near me that offer perks. One has lifetime loaners if you buy a new vehicle from them and another has "Lifetime Warranty" plastered on every window on the lot (new and used). My wife thought that was great until we stopped to ask about it and the "Lifetime Warranty" is actually a (very) limited powertrain warranty for as long as you own the vehicle...and have it serviced there.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would want to read the policy carefully before buying it. Does it force you to have routine maint done by them? Is it good at any dealer? What does it really cover? etc.
If it is a Mopar MaxCare warranty, it is good at ANY Mopar dealership. It doesn't REQUIRE you to have routine maintenance done at the dealer, but I chose to - that way if anything broke, they would have access to ALL of the service history and there would be no argument about how a different shop might be liable.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No extended service plan is going to be bumper-to-bumper. After your basic warranty expires it is no longer a warranty...it is a service contract.

I'm all for peace of mind but read the fine print to make sure you know what you are getting into. Lots of stuff covered but not nearly as much as the basic (new vehicle "bumper-to-bumper") warranty.

Mopar does not offer a "Platinum" version so the dealership is offering a 3rd party plan (they make more money on them than Mopar MaxCare policies) or it is something the dealership itself is offering. If that is the case then that warranty would only be honored at that dealership. Sometimes it can be a good deal (great marketing for the dealership - you get your work done only with them, they can upsell you, and you are more likely to buy something off their lot since that's where you go for all your service work) but the down side to those is you might be out of luck if the ownership changes.

There's a couple of car dealerships near me that offer perks. One has lifetime loaners if you buy a new vehicle from them and another has "Lifetime Warranty" plastered on every window on the lot (new and used). My wife thought that was great until we stopped to ask about it and the "Lifetime Warranty" is actually a (very) limited powertrain warranty for as long as you own the vehicle...and have it serviced there.

Fair enough, the MaxCare warranties are a service contract of sorts, though I think it's more like an insurance policy - it has a $100 deductible each time it's used, per service writeup, not per issue (the last time I had my sensors fixed, I also had the transmission gasket and pan replaced, and only paid $100). And depending on which MaxCare you purchase, it CAN be bumper-to-bumper for FUNCTION, not form - my Lifetime MaxCare didn't cover the words wearing off radio buttons, but it DID cover if the radio buttons stopped working, for example. It also doesn't cover routine maintenance such as oil changes, brakes/rotors, etc.

You're also right that Mopar doesn't offer a 'platinum' level, they have different wording for it, because they do have Powertrain-only, Powertrain and electronics, and bumper-to-bumper levels. I don't recall what their wording for each level is. Regardless, it sounds as though OP bought a 3rd party extended warranty, NOT a Mopar one.

Every dealer has their gimmick to draw people in and drive sales. It's part of the game to stay in business. One near me says 'no pressure, no hassle' but I almost never get the best deal there unless I'm walking in with a supplier discount number, because that price is dictated. Another claims you can buy anything from them (and you literally can, they carry just about every major brand) but I'd never go there for service because their service department has to service all of them - sorry, I want someone who focuses on Mopar stuff touching my truck, not someone who normally services multiple other brands and might get themselves confused. If I want a general mechanic I'll head to a different shop or do it myself, if I'm at the dealer I want a Mopar mechanic.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
After your basic warranty expires it is no longer a warranty...it is a service contract.
Extended warranty vs service contract is a distinction without a difference. When I worked in the industry we were billed as an 'extended warranty administrator' as both an independent business and as an IBU for Kemper Insurance. In short, either is correct. It's a marketing driven decision which to use, as both are legally the same thing. Even federal regulators like the FTC use the terms interchangeably.

Financially, they are worth it in the same way a slot machine is. You may win on occasion and some people will get more than they paid in, but play the game long enough and the house always wins. The providers would not be profitable if that were not true, and there is a good margin for these products.

Peace of mind is more subjective, but personally I think it's a false peace of mind. The best 'peace of mind' remains money in the bank. You don't have to be concerned if a repair is covered, you can use what parts you choose, what service provider you choose, etc. You'll see plenty of posts here of people fighting about getting an issue covered by their warranty administrator, they did not end up with true 'peace of mind'. Put the warranty money in a high yield but safe account and self-insure. You'll end up with more money and less stress long term, IMO.

OP
OP
M

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you guys are right...it's a third party coverage via the dealer. I just have to have the dealer make all repairs...which i don't mind

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
you guys are right...it's a third party coverage via the dealer. I just have to have the dealer make all repairs...which i don't mind

What happens if you are traveling and have an issue?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I hear you all and I don't disagree that peace of mind is a real thing.

in my 32+ years of driving and 23 to 25 vehicles owned in that timeline (new and used), I've come to appreciate that by year 4.5 it's time to get a new vehicle with a full factory warranty.

I'm a Canuck, so it's 3/60 and 5/100 for the warranty....
If things on the bumper to bumper are going to fail it's usually (more times than not) within tat timeline.

If things within that coverage parameter and timeline fail, the Dealership fixes it. But, I have also removed the UConnect bs... and most other non-issues from that equation within that timeline.

Moving to the 5/100 warranty.... if my major driveline components fail within that timeline.... Ma MOPAR covers it under warranty. I was once a huge proponent of keeping it till the wheels fall off, and while not everyone can flip with zero negative equity before the 5/100 warranty expires, I'm now part of that mentality moving forward as I'm racking up high miles for my career in my Ram.

Once I'm not driving so dang much, I will consider the longevity aspect of the ownership experience.

Until then, my purchased new 19' had been dropped off today and my new 23' gets picked up this coming Friday.

And the only reason I got high trade value with no negative equity after almost 5-years is because I looked after it so well. So, my bi-weekly payments remain the exact same, and I now go from a Classic Express to a Classic Warlock.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And depending on which MaxCare you purchase, it CAN be bumper-to-bumper for FUNCTION, not form - my Lifetime MaxCare didn't cover the words wearing off radio buttons, but it DID cover if the radio buttons stopped working, for example. It also doesn't cover routine maintenance such as oil changes, brakes/rotors, etc.

You're also right that Mopar doesn't offer a 'platinum' level, they have different wording for it, because they do have Powertrain-only, Powertrain and electronics, and bumper-to-bumper levels.
There is no B-2-B maxcare plan. There are a lot of exclusions for the highest level Maxcare plan that are covered under the B-2-B, like DPF filters on diesels, as one example.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do you have to have all your routine maint done there also? We bought a used Toyota once from one of those dealers. Lifetime drivetrain, but only if you got all your service work from them, and there was a $200 deductible. I asked their service dept how much they charged for an oil change. It was like $120. I did them myself for about $25 using genuine Toyota filters, so I let the warranty go. Never had a lick of issues with that car.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I have never seen a 3rd party that only works through one dealer/shop. That does not seem very profitable and makes me wonder if the dealership is not being forthcoming so that you will only get work done through them. Personally, I would get a copy of the policy and read it through to fully understand what is and is not.

3rd parties may have "preferred" shop list but you should be able to go anywhere (you just have to get approval for the work before the shop can begin repairs).

Just like the 3rd party, Mopar MaxCare works anywhere that Mopar approves (most just go to the dealership as that is the easiest and gets the most covered).

Do you have to have all your routine maint done there also? We bought a used Toyota once from one of those dealers. Lifetime drivetrain, but only if you got all your service work from them, and there was a $200 deductible. I asked their service dept how much they charged for an oil change. It was like $120. I did them myself for about $25 using genuine Toyota filters, so I let the warranty go. Never had a lick of issues with that car.
You do not.

Having it done by any reputable shop (keep your invoices/receipts) is good enough.

If you DIY then you should keep a log and the appropriate receipts to prove that you bought the appropriate parts/fluids and maintained the recommended maintenance schedule.

I DIY for routine things and keep a log/receipts but I was never asked by the dealership to provide them for any work I had done.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is no B-2-B maxcare plan. There are a lot of exclusions for the highest level Maxcare plan that are covered under the B-2-B, like DPF filters on diesels, as one example.
Yes, those exclusions are considered 'maintenance components.' It does not surprise me that the DPF is considered a maintenance item - it DOES have 'filter' in the name. Oil filters, air filters, and fuel filters are also not covered. Nor are brake pads/rotors. Exhaust systems are generally considered 'maintenance items' too, mufflers, pipes, etc, of which the DPF is a part of.

It's still bumper-to-bumper, they just change the definition once it switches over to the extended warranty - which, as pointed out, is more of an insurance policy than a warranty.

As for OP, be wary of 3rd party warranties. My in-laws had one on a Cadillac years ago. It covered gaskets, major components, etc...but NOT fasteners. So when one of the head bolt thread inserts pulled out of the aluminum block and caused a head gasket leak, nothing was covered because 'a fastener failed, not a component.'

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You do not.
I was asking about the OP's "platinum" plan, not Maxcare.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's still bumper-to-bumper, they just change the definition once it switches over to the extended warranty - which, as pointed out, is more of an insurance policy than a warranty.
If they change the definition, it is no longer the factory 3/36 B2B. I knew that when I bought it, since I read the contract first. Sales people like to throw falsehoods like that around to get people to buy the warranty.

Here is part of the "what is not covered" part of the best Maxcare extended warranty. A lot of these would be covered by the 3/36 B2B warranty.

17. Brake pads, shoes, rotors and drums are not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure);
18. Battery and cables; any battery for a component; spark plugs and wires; lights (bulb, sealed beams, lenses);
suspension alignment; wheel balancing; wiper blades; catalytic converter, particulate filter and any other exhaust
system components; heat shields and exhaust hangers; throttle body cleaning; evaporator deodorizing; carbon
cleaning; replacing outdated, lost, stolen, or damaged navigation DVDs;
19. Exterior - tires; trim; name plates; appliques; body sheet metal; glass; plastic lenses; paint; bright metal; bumpers;
side-view mirrors (glass/ housing); wheel covers; steel wheels; aluminum wheels; rusted or frozen rims; weather strips;
rust; water leaks; restricted drain tubes; wind noises; all outer body panels; spoilers; plastic and fiberglass body parts;
vinyl tops; convertible top fabric; repairs or damage caused by environmental factors such as acid rain, tree sap, salt or
ocean spray;
20. Mechanical - manual clutch assembly; clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch release bearing and pilot bearing (manual
transmission); damage to flywheel as a result of a clutch failure; repairs to snow plows, winches and trailer hitches
regardless of their installation; fasteners, bolts and attaching hardware that does not attach a covered component to
another covered component;
21. Interior - trim; carpet; upholstery; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; buttons; moldings; arm rests and head
liner; cargo cover; cosmetic appearance; torn/worn/soiled;
22. Portable Units including but not limited to - key fobs; remote transmitters; headphones; tablets; flashlight; tools; GPS
units; DVD players; laptop computers; cellular phones; any hand-held device; Navigation DVD; spare tire compressor
and tire sealant.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I was asking about the OP's "platinum" plan, not Maxcare.
My bad, several conversations going on and I got them crossed.

I politely disagree. While the major components are still covered a lot of stuff drops out of coverage with the ESP. Lots of 'wear-and-tear' not covered - glass, delamination, paint, etc.

- Think your seat stitching is coming undone early? Not covered.
- Fasteners only covered if they attach covered components to other covered components.
- Your outside rear view mirror peeling/cracking? No. But if it doesn't extend/retract...yes.
- Lots of non-mechanical stuff no longer covered outside (wheels, trim, sheet metal, glass, paint, bumpers, rust, water leaks, plugged sunroof drains, weather) and inside as well (trim, carpet, dash, knobs, buttons, handles, molding, and just about anything is "cosmetic appearance").

If the bumpers aren't covered how can you call it a bumper-to-bumper? ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so here's the deal.....after our lease was up, we bought the truck and we signed up for 2 coverage plans. One the dealer offered which was ok and they practically gave it to us for free, and the other was almost a full front to back coverage that the dealer option didn't offer. Yea, there's some minor exceptions in there that i read about, but none disconcerting.

But the second plan was from another party. We just agreed to have any and all work (if ever needed) done by the dealer. I don't have a problem with that because no matter what is being fixed my deductible is $100, and this particular dealer has always treated us right.

So, basically, we have two coverages on the truck.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so here's the deal.....after our lease was up, we bought the truck and we signed up for 2 coverage plans. One the dealer offered which was ok and they practically gave it to us for free, and the other was almost a full front to back coverage that the dealer option didn't offer. Yea, there's some minor exceptions in there that i read about, but none disconcerting.

But the second plan was from another party. We just agreed to have any and all work (if ever needed) done by the dealer. I don't have a problem with that because no matter what is being fixed my deductible is $100, and this particular dealer has always treated us right.

So, basically, we have two coverages on the truck.
I have done the samething I have MPP have been using them since 2010. I have no deductible for mine going to the dealer since i bought it there. Mine is also platinum plan. Yes it covers pertty much everything. Since I have bought 6 vehicles from same dealer they gave me mine for free up to 75k miles have used it once