RPM jump when downshifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s3john

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi. I have a 2013 1500 2wd with 5.7 and 6-speed. If I'm driving between about 20 and 30 mph and touch the gas pretty lightly to accelerate just a bit, the transmission will often downshift what feels like 2 gears, the gas flow will increase, causing the RPM and truck speed to jump and make it sound and look like I must have given it much more gas input than I did.

Just wondering is this normal? I've searched around and have seen a number of posts with questions about rough shifting but haven't seen anything that seems similar to this. Any help is appreciated.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is normal for a vehicle to shift down when more power is requested, especially if you are in full automatic mode with the transmission.

However, for instance my truck won't downshift unless I give the pedal a serious push. It seems your truck throttle is a bit more sensitive than mine.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have a heavier foot then you think. I have had times when I was trying to get it to jump down one gear and pushed just a bit too hard and went down 2 gears.