Running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys I've got a 2012 hemi that i can't figure out why it is running rough. It has a slight engine miss around 1500 rpm. I just changed the plugs with Mopar plugs and before that it would misfire worse under hard acceleration but since has stopped. I have 100k miles on this truck and oil changes have been done regularly as well as spark plug changes. Has anyone experienced injector or cool issues? I don't want to throw money at the problem without knowing so any help would be appreciated. Again it is not a bad miss now, just sluggish it seems.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
besides changing the plugs and regular oil changes, what other maintenance have you done recently? there could be quite a few things you may be due for that might help.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it popping any misfire codes? Sounds like a weak coil or two...

OP
OP
Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed diff oil and need to do the trans filters. That's it.

OP
OP
Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it popping any misfire codes? Sounds like a weak coil or two...

It did several months ago and thaRs why I changed my plugs but not since. Now it just seems sluggish. Might have to get a set of coils.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok guys I've got a 2012 hemi that i can't figure out why it is running rough. It has a slight engine miss around 1500 rpm. I just changed the plugs with Mopar plugs and before that it would misfire worse under hard acceleration but since has stopped. I have 100k miles on this truck and oil changes have been done regularly as well as spark plug changes. Has anyone experienced injector or cool issues? I don't want to throw money at the problem without knowing so any help would be appreciated. Again it is not a bad miss now, just sluggish it seems.
Do you have a catch can or could your Throttle Body be nasty? If so, use brake cleaner, NOT TB cleaner!

Also, when was the last time you ran a fuel treatment? Either regular product evry couple of fill-ups or a really good injector cleaner twice a year.

Costco sometimes has a case special on Chevron Techroline.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What did your plugs look like when you changed them?

OP
OP
Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a catch can or could your Throttle Body be nasty? If so, use brake cleaner, NOT TB cleaner!

Also, when was the last time you ran a fuel treatment? Either regular product evry couple of fill-ups or a really good injector cleaner twice a year.

Costco sometimes has a case special on Chevron Techroline.

No catch can. I'll check that out, thx.

OP
OP
Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did your plugs look like when you changed them?

Not bad for the most part. Only 2 plugs showed a little fouling on the insulator. They only had 28k on them but I wanted to start there and see if it helped. I switched from mopar champions to mopar ngk's.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Check engine light on? Any codes?

OP
OP
Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. I have been racking my brain with this rough running/vibration. I have narrowed it down to happening 1500-2000 rpms under light load or slight acceleration 40-80 mph. From reading around I am thinking it could be the tq converter. This weekend I am changing the trans filters and the atf I lose with that. Also getting my rear brakes done since I have that vibration as well while braking. I am trying to narrow this down from all angles. I just had the tires rotated and balanced. And I still need front hubs replaced I believe (been vibrating since 80k, 104k now.) I will update again as I narrow down this issue.

Gdraut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2012 lariame had a rough idle. My oil was over filled and the vacuum line from the air box pulled oil in to the motor. I noticed my air filter was extra oily as well as a thin oil layer on the valve cover. After replacing the drive belt, thermostat, and battery Wich was unrelated, I dained the extra oil out and ran sea foam through the throttle body and got a can for the gas tank. This is my first time using sea foam and I'm super impressed. My Trucks well again and actually has more power now than ever. Take a look in the throttle body, it's an easy fix if needed.
Good luck.

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
I just changed my plugs myself this past weekend and now I have the same issue with my 2011 with a few exceptions. Before changing them there was no miss at all, the old plugs looked like they were burning good just the electrodes were getting rounded off on the back side. I just bought the truck so have no idea how many miles were on them. I took out standard NGK and replaced them with NGK platinum all gapped at .044 Now there is a definite intermittent miss between 1500-2000 rpm. Starts fine, idles fine and it's not missing bad enough to throw any codes at all. Other things I did while I was in there was R&R the throttle body and cleaned it with CRC brake cleaner because it was pretty gunky (official mechanical term lol). Also installed a program for 87 octane with my superchips f5 programmer but upon restoring the stock program the miss is still there. Also I sprayed a little brake cleaner into the intake to loosen some of the oil film up that was there (should note there are almost 114,000 miles on engine). Only 2 things that are jumping out at me and that is #1 possible the base o-ring on the throttle body didn't seal correctly when I put it back on or #2 (and I think this is more likely) I cracked a spark plug when I installed them, specifically on the 5 or 7 cylinders. If you've ever done your own you'll know why I say that. The miss is so light that it doesn't throw a code but you can feel a little vehicle shake and pick up the slight intermittent "pop" in the exhaust tone. I did the muffler delete so you can definitely hear it. I know you're situation is a little different than mine but similar as well and I didn't mean to bogart your post with my own problems but I wanted to share my experience with you. If I find the cause of mine I will let you know. Going to start on cylinder 5 and 7 removing the new plugs and checking for cracks AFTER my ribs heal up from leaning over the fender the first time, they're a little tender now lol.