Set me straight. Please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 600 miles on my 2013 Express Quab cab w/ the 5.7. I do the vast majority of my driving in the city. I am currently averaging 10MPG.

To those of you that have the new 2013 Ram AND do most of your driving in the city, did you see an increase in MPG after the first few thousand miles? If so, what did it increase to? Thanks.

FYI: I'm tripping out because 10MPG is terrible. The sticker on the truck said 14 city I believe. I have an extremely hard time believing that the trucks MPG will increase after the first few thousand miles. My mods certainly haven't increased my MPG either.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is pretty normal for solid intown driving. I don't get much more than that running a tuner. What trans to you have? also have you found out what gears you are running? do you have 4wd? Finally yes milage should get better after a few thousand miles the truck has barely gotten time to learn how you drive if that makes sense.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is pretty normal for solid intown driving. I don't get much more than that running a tuner. What trans to you have? also have you found out what gears you are running? do you have 4wd? Finally yes milage should get better after a few thousand miles the truck has barely gotten time to learn how you drive if that makes sense.

2WD. Not sure what trans or gears.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't get much more than that running a tuner.

Wait a second, you have a 2011 single cab RAM that is all done "breaking in" with a tuner and still only get around 10MPG?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's in your driving style. Even during my break in, I was getting 14-15 MPG.
Now with a mix of city / state road I'm getting 18-19.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's in your driving style. Even during my break in, I was getting 14-15 MPG.
Now with a mix of city / state road I'm getting 18-19.

I drive the speed limit. Accelerate slowly. And cruise into lights/stops. My driving style should boast great MPG numbers. In my city, the highest road is 40 MPH. I'm driving around 25-35 MPH the majority of the time.

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
i get high 12's with similar speed limits around my town.
but i also get full use of my remote start in the mornings, and when i get off work...

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was averaging 13 when I was only driving city. It got worse when my trips were only like 2 miles each way and the truck was barely getting up to temp.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I get around 10. I love hearing my exhaust, and my short trips.......eh.

I fill up once every 2-3 weeks......gas mileage is not a concern for me at all.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
about 12 in the city with a heavy foot and love the sound of my truck. If i'm easy with it on the highway i can get into the 18's

Williamw454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get 16 around town where i live but that's not city. In the city with a lot of stop and go I go down to about 13. I havent seen the truck lower then 13 since i bought it.

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my truck at 10k miles showing 8.9 MPG. Magnaflow, TB installed and now im at 12.1 - 12.2 MPG which is so nice. I also live 5 blocks away from work, so sometimes my engine doesn't even get warmed up. Within these short distances back and forth from work i'm a bit heavy on the peddle, i'm guilty also cause i love the sound of my sexy beast. I still have the VR, Y Pipe and G2 Bak-Flip to get which will help MPG. Idling in my option is the true enemy of MPG because ECO doesn't kick-in when idling. So when your slowing down to a stop, red lights and etc (city driving) more than actually driving, i think you kinda have to accept your MPG getting decreased, especially if it's a 5.7l. I do warm up the truck just a little before I leave like 3-5 minutes, just enough to see the needle get to the 2nd mark on the gauge.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are taking it slow and easy you may be sitting higher up in a lower gear if that makes sense. The higher your rpm's are the lower your mpg's will be. Get through your gears to the speed you need to be at. Do it kinda in the middle of slow and fast. If you have fun with it you will negate any effort you put into getting better mpg's.

I can drive the new company truck for 3 miles and get 7 mpg's if I have FUN in it.

Play with getting up into your gear and settling down.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are taking it slow and easy you may be sitting higher up in a lower gear if that makes sense. The higher your rpm's are the lower your mpg's will be. Get through your gears to the speed you need to be at. Do it kinda in the middle of slow and fast. If you have fun with it you will negate any effort you put into getting better mpg's.

I can drive the new company truck for 3 miles and get 7 mpg's if I have FUN in it.

Play with getting up into your gear and settling down.

Ya I get that. Like when I'm in a 25 MPH area, if I drive 25, the truck gets stuck at higher rpms and won't shift til I get to around 27 or 28 MPH. I do keep an eye on it so it shift and gets to lower rpms.

In regards to the truck warming up, I do take a lot of short 4-10 minute trips. I let the truck warm up for about a minute before backing out of the driveway. Is that not enough time?

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I get around 10. I love hearing my exhaust, and my short trips.......eh.

I fill up once every 2-3 weeks......gas mileage is not a concern for me at all.

You hardly drive ur :dancingpoop: bud...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait a second, you have a 2011 single cab RAM that is all done "breaking in" with a tuner and still only get around 10MPG?

In the last month I moved so now I am an 1/8th of a mile from work so yes with my lead foot I don't see anything higher than 12 mpg but more like 10mpg if I hand caculate it. When I lived 25 miles from work I would see about 16mpg during the winter even when I warmed it up but that was mostly hwy and I have a 4x4 pickup. Honestly sounds like your truck is still learning driving styles if its hanging in RPM and those short trips don't help it learn either. It will get better with time you must be patient.

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drive the speed limit. Accelerate slowly. And cruise into lights/stops. My driving style should boast great MPG numbers. In my city, the highest road is 40 MPH. I'm driving around 25-35 MPH the majority of the time.

I tend to agree with what you say. I tend to accelerate harder than most, then comfortably cruise at speed. I often turn off MDS (the rolling hills in town make it really annoying) so I can keep a constant speed. I do most of the things they say are bad for MPGs. :signs8:

Maybe try driving it like it's got a Hemi?

Ona4day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should see some improvement with time. I was getting 10.5 average until i hit 1000 miles, now I'm up to 13.5 with 2000 miles, it got better fast. Thats mostly slow, city, hills driving. My MPG has gone down this last week with the install of a VR, mufflex, and heavy foot. Just received my BD and mounts but Im waiting for BD to run through some more patches before I install. We'll see what the tuner, some more miles, and a lighter foot will do. Im thinking the first oil change may loosen things up a bit too and improve MPG.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just speculating because I see you are in California, but the moonbeam state has regionally blended gasoline. If you are in an area like LA where the formulation requires a lot of adulteration with oxygenators beyond just 10 % ethanol, the BTUs provided by your enviro-correct adulterated gas are so much lower than in a gallon of gas across much of the rest of the country that you may never see better than 12 MPG in city driving even after wear-in. You can thank the kleptocrats in the capital: Sacrificetomarxo. :party33:

Same holds for winter blends in Colorado and upper midwest.