Shift points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 14' CC Hemi 5/6. It's on 35's lifted 6" with 4.56 open diff. I've replaced the muffler with a Flowmaster and it has a Vararam intake. I've decided to tune the truck. Before I do that I'm going to get an 1/8 mile time at a track because it just so happens to be a race night happening when I go see my buddy next Friday and we used to race our little junkers against each other back in the day so I think it would be fun to go back all grown up and race our junker trucks against each other. He has a 16' F250 4x4 deisel so I might have my work cut out for me. The last time we raced at this track over ten years ago, I was in my Dodge Neon and he was in his Ford Focus. It's kind of funny that we are going to go back at it with the same makes as we've both had everything under the sun since the last races ten years ago. But anyways, he would always beat me because I would dump the clutch and spin like a fool. Some time later on the street we learned that my Neon was actually faster when it had traction like on a dry street road. Then I bought fatter tires and aired them down and beat his best times at the track by a decent amount.

So back to the Ram...I will go back after tuning to see what real world gains were made. I'm wondering if it would improve my ET to shift the truck manually to 2nd gear in order to avoid the truck shifting from 1st to 3rd. I'm not even sure that's usually the case? Assuming it is though, will the truck let me wind out 2nd gear past its normal shift point of 5500 rpms? Or will it bounce off the limiter until I upshift it? Or will it force shift into 3rd at 5500rpms? I could go try this myself right now but it seems smarter to just ask here.

Side note: Any chance of a 9.XX without a tune? Buy smaller tires loser? My little Neon ran 9.50's in the end...