How to FIX frozen rotary shift knob! RAM PICKUPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcusallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If you have been stranded after accidentally turning off your truck before putting it in park or turning the shift knob instead of the stereo knob and your truck will no longer allow you to Turn the shift knob at all....Here's how to fix it rather than having it towed like I did. Up in the sunglass holder on top of the dash, removed the rubber padding in the tray and unscrew the two torx screws that are under it. Carefully pry the whole plastic face towards you that includes the shift knob and all other knobs. It is held in by clips only but be gentle, starting at the top sides, and once started grab it with both hands and pull the face off towards you, turn it over, unplug the electric plug going into the rotary shift dial, and plug it back in. Thats IT! Fixed. I just spend 300 dollars to get my truck home from an Aldis parking lot and a dealership will charge you 1000 to do the same thing. This WILL fix it. Unplugging the shift knob will reset it instantly...Happing fixing. p.s. On some models, there will be one additional torx screw in the lower right small storage chamber in the faceplate again, under the rubber insert. My 2013 did not but some older models do. You will need to remove this also to get the faceplate off on those models.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7