Shut down timer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had my 2500 Cummins nearly a month. I follow the cool down time pretty faithfully, 3 or 4 minutes after running at highway speeds. Would love to have a shut down timer so I could set it and walk away. It's an option on the Cab&Chassis trucks. Is this something anyone has had installed?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
BD Diesel makes a cool down timer that actually reads the EGT's and activates the shut off based on those rather than just a time. That's the system you'd want if you're looking.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Turbo timer like the imports do?

Never knew Diesels had to do that too but makes sense obviously. lol

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo timer like the imports do?

Never knew Diesels had to do that too but makes sense obviously. lol

Yup, same concept. You never want to shut off the engine without letting the turbo cool down a bit otherwise it's prone to burning the oil in the turbo and simply wearing things out. I always wait until 350 °F on my pyro gauge before shutting the truck off.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned most tuners can. I'm a fan of the H&S tuners or the mini max... lost of options and I believe comes with a cool down timer. Its been awhile since I have been around the diesel world.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned most tuners can. I'm a fan of the H&S tuners or the mini max... lost of options and I believe comes with a cool down timer. Its been awhile since I have been around the diesel world.

No 4th gen tuner that I'm aware of offers a cool down timer. Certain not an H&S MiniMaxx as that's what I'm running. However that wouldn't do the OP much good anyway as they don't support the 2013+ 6.7 Cummins. An aftermarket dedicated shutdown timer is the only option I've seen for the newer Cummins.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No 4th gen tuner that I'm aware of offers a cool down timer. Certain not an H&S MiniMaxx as that's what I'm running. However that wouldn't do the OP much good anyway as they don't support the 2013+ 6.7 Cummins. An aftermarket dedicated shutdown timer is the only option I've seen for the newer Cummins.

Apparently its the Edge CTS2 that does still.. Like I mentioned its been awhile since I messed with diesels, and things have really really changed in the past few years. and thinking about it the old 07 with a 6.7L we had on the ranch had a Edge on it not a H&S... I installed the H&S delete kit not tuner on that one.....

I looked up the edge but can't find if it does or doesn't on the 13's+ but I did see somewhere for the EAS turbo timer was a extra cost. Might be a start

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yup, same concept. You never want to shut off the engine without letting the turbo cool down a bit otherwise it's prone to burning the oil in the turbo and simply wearing things out. I always wait until 350 °F on my pyro gauge before shutting the truck off.

Yeah, that would not be goood.