My truck shuts off once it's a little ways over 200 degrees. Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Stang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I recently had blown the first diesel engine in my 07 and found a replacement. This diesel auto garage installed it for me and 2 weeks later it shut down once it hits 205. When turning the key right away all of the gauges work except the oil pressure, of course, and the engine temp. So, I leave it sit for 5 minutes, turn the key, the needle will raise so I then know the trucks going to start and run until it hits the 205 degrees again. I have an electric fan on the radiator and the plugs are all on tight. I don't hear the fan kick on at all when around 200. But the antifreeze hose was cold. So that sounds like the thermostat is shot to me to. But that shouldn't cause the truck to shut off. I'm used to over heating issues!
Any ideas on what to look for/check? Thanks

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently had blown the first diesel engine in my 07 and found a replacement. This diesel auto garage installed it for me and 2 weeks later it shut down once it hits 205. When turning the key right away all of the gauges work except the oil pressure, of course, and the engine temp. So, I leave it sit for 5 minutes, turn the key, the needle will raise so I then know the trucks going to start and run until it hits the 205 degrees again. I have an electric fan on the radiator and the plugs are all on tight. I don't hear the fan kick on at all when around 200. But the antifreeze hose was cold. So that sounds like the thermostat is shot to me to. But that shouldn't cause the truck to shut off. I'm used to over heating issues!
Any ideas on what to look for/check? Thanks
Your engine fan on most trucks won't turn on until 205 degrees it should have a 190 degree thermostat, and the truck shouldn't shut down till 250 degrees. A little test to perform when you turn your key on can you move the fan freely. It sounds to me like a computer issue. Do you have the 5.9 or the 6.7 Cummins.

OP
OP

69Stang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I have the 5.9 and the fan spins freely by hand. I just wanted to see if the motor was tight but that God it wasn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat