To spark plug or not to.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, I recently had my '11 outdoorsman at the dealer and they told me I was due for new plugs at 30k miles. Is this correct? I thought most of these newer vehicles went closer to 100k miles before needing a tune up? I found out that the hemi's have conventional plugs versus platinum or iridium. Anybody else heard of this or put the other type plugs in? Any benefits or problems experienced with putting in platinums? Thanks for any info!

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
With Copper plugs that is what is required. The Gap starts to open up which leads to poor performance. IMO its a cheap maint thing if you do it yourself, but I can change a set pretty quickly and at 135/hr Labour up here, Warranty or not I won't pay that. As far as platinum or iridium you are wasting your dough. I run Platnum 6.1 plugs which are 1 colder than the stock 5.7 with tighter Gap of 40 thou only because that is what is recommended on my Cam instructions from Mopar. I also burned up a set of iridiums in no time a while back on Cam no2 and went back to Copper so I have seen the results of all 3 types granted mine is the 1st Gen 3 Hemi Motor. Danny.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info! I have heard that the platinum plugs will cause the coils to burnout. Have you experienced any trouble like that?

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking under the hood, it looks like the back plugs could be a pain in the rear to get two since half the motor is tucked up under the firewall.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Never looked under a hood of a fourth Gen Sir, but yes it isn,t a pretty job. I always seem to change mine during cam swaps as i stand up infront of the motor under the hood, however the best way to get at that is to lay down a piece of foam over a moving blanket and lay across the motor as you need to get your face in there, either come in from the front or over the approprite fender. I use a 4" extension back there. If it won,t go in with the socket on then place socket in hole followed by the extension then by the ratchet (a good one with quick release button). I have a craftsman ratchet i use that is slightly longer than a stubby. I would suggest tackling those difficult ones first then your home free.........Remove the 4 coils on each side outta the way in a oner will make it easier. As far as plugs ruining the coils I would have to say based on my experience on the older models with plug wires.........********......Coppers are all that is needed an 30k miles is alot of driving so you have to pay the fiddler........unlike other vehicles factory equipped with platnums and 60 k intervals. Long post, Sorry but with patience and a good attack the job can be done easier everytime. Worst case pay the Man to do it. Danny P.S. Small brush of antisieze across the threads of new plugs on install will allow easy removal in future.

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I can't speak for the Hemi's but I changed the stock plugs out on our Enclave's 3.6L at 99,000 miles and they looked almost new still. They were Iridiums. I replaced with Auto-Lite's at that time.

If they're coppers, you'll want to change them around the 30,000-40,000 mile mark.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced mine at 31,500 on the clock and my plugs were pretty shot considering. Truck does run better even if my MPG's didn't sky rocket lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info guys! I have noticed a drop in mpg's! Guess I will jump in and get them replaced here soon....

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stick with the reccomended plug type. If you don't have any dramatic power adders, there should be no reason to change the heat range of the plug either.

I've been told / heard that running different styles of plugs can indeed effect the life of your ignition coil(s). I can see both sides of the argument in my mind.

I can say that on my '92, before I knew better, I always ran Platinums, and went through 3 coils over about 5 years. Since, on all my others, I've used stock type plugs (IE Copper cores) and never had an issue.

OP
OP
Jhight71

Jhight71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info! Thanks! Guess I will stick with the o.e. and avoid the platinums.