Spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Hey Ramforum,

My 2010 Ram 1500 slt 4.7L has 87,000 miles. I was thinking of changing them as part of preventative maintenance. Any suggestions on what plugs I should use? Also should I replace the wires that go to the spark plugs? What are some negative effects of having old plugs? Positives of new plugs? Any other maitenance I should think about?
Tranny fluid was flushed and new oil has been done so far

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
On my Hemi I noticed smoother idle immediately after changing plugs @ 50,000 miles. Even at 50k they didn't look that bad really but it still made a difference. I did not change the wires since they looked fine.

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my Hemi I noticed smoother idle immediately after changing plugs @ 50,000 miles. Even at 50k they didn't look that bad really but it still made a difference. I did not change the wires since they looked fine.

How hard were they to change? My only concern is that I live at an apartment complex with no garage or anything. Should I just take it in to get them changed?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
How hard were they to change? My only concern is that I live at an apartment complex with no garage or anything. Should I just take it in to get them changed?

I did mine in my driveway. I don't have a garage and my shop is too small to fit the truck. Only needed a 3/8 ratchet, 2 swivel joints and assorted length extensions. I wish I had a second spark plug socket so I could have kept one in a small extension for seating the new plugs. In all it took me about 3 hours to do them on my Hemi but I was not in any rush either. The only hard part was laying on top of the motor for 3 hours. I was sore as crap the next day. LOL!!

Sent from my LG 8.3 GPe

MasterD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep hearing about spark plugs, what exactly are they and what do they do for the truck?

OP
OP
Adept

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
So no one really answered my OP question

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact Matt at Moes Performance for plugs. He can direct you to the plugs you need and sell them. Installing new plugs can help mpg's some, and help other engine to generally run much better and efficiently. Running old plugs will sometimes result in the engine not burning all of the gas, and leading to lower power and mpg's.

Bindairdundat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Just finished changing plugs on a 2012 Hemi for the first time at 32K. Took about 3 hours. Appreciate the variety of comments and tips concerning replacement plugs but I opted for OEM NGK LZFR5C-11 from O'Reilly Auto Parts at $4.49 each.

While I had decided to do the change, to satisfy my curiosity I did get a quote from a reputable independent auto repair chain: $646.09.

Couple of tips:
- Tell The Wife that the fuzzy bathroom rug is the wrong color. Catches her off-guard and she heads out to buy stuff while you get a nice thick cushion to lay on.
- The right bank was not difficult, a variety of extensions is a necessity and have two 3" on-hand.
- The left bank, rear cylinder offers far less room to work. I used a 1" extension and universal to extract the plug socket. As you lift the string, you can bend the universal to clear the heater core hoses and wiring harness, then pop it off, pop off the 1" and then pull out the socket and plug.