ssbc brake kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
was wondering who on here has done the brake kit mod to the 4th gen from
ssbc rear kit A158-1?

need some pointers pictures would help

i.did the install myself couple modifications to the plate

the kit comes with caliper brackets or caliper straps that go to the plate and hold the caliper in place

i put my caliper brackets in front of the plate (outside of truck ) and dont know which bracket goes were as they mount the same they just have a little different design not exactly identical so i just placed them however not knowing if they are correct or if it doesnt matter.
i tried asking matt from moes performance since he did the swap through his facebook account but totally ignored me when asked if he had did the swap before. but anyways need the extra help.

now im having issues when im driving in small mph it sounds like lm driving and old ass bus when breaking sounds horrible i think caliper is touching rotor im wondering if is because the placemnt of my brackets ill post a picture how i have them i need to get this issue resolved soon as i need to drive out with fam dont want to break anything hope someone could shime in

Attachments

• 20170809_185425.jpg
    20170809_185425.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 75
  • 20170809_185436.jpg
    20170809_185436.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20170808_171253.jpg
    20170808_171253.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20170809_102307.jpg
    20170809_102307.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When searching SSBC website the part# provided is for a 1998-2001 Ram swapping to disc brakes.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When searching SSBC website the part# provided is for a 1998-2001 Ram swapping to disc brakes.

thats correct

once getting the plate redrilled should fit on all on our 4th gen rears thats not the point here the point is knowing where exactly my 2 strap bracketa go the way i have the. in the pic i sent or on the rear of the plate inside truck?

2nd questions
from 2 brackets to each side 2 brackets have a different shape to it on the bottoom as you can see on the pic i sent i want to know it the side that has the weird shape on it goes on the left side front of truck or if it goes on on the righat hand side of plate toward the backof trucki know they both have to face to the same side let me know if i dont make sense kind of hard to explain

and the pics i posted are from the rear passenger side

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This isn't related to your issue, but what's the benefit to this? You already had disc brakes in the rear. Is the rotor/caliper larger?

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This isn't related to your issue, but what's the benefit to this? You already had disc brakes in the rear. Is the rotor/caliper larger?

so by caliper touching rotor and making a horrible noise isnt relatetd my issue ofcourse it is!!!! i might of put the. brackets the wrong way thats watt i want to clarify

yes all 4th gen have disc brakes on rear never seen one that doesnt on this trucks ..and the kit has smaller rotors

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
yes all 4th gen have disc brakes on rear never seen one that doesnt on this trucks ..and the kit has smaller rotors

Lol I'm aware all 4th gens have rear discs. Guess I wasn't to clear. What are you trying to gain by adapting this brake kit? Smaller diameter wheels?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would also like to know. Thanks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I did not run this kit on any of my trucks, so I dont have an answer to your question. Funny how you can answer 200 questions for someone, but the first time you dont have a response, they take to a forum to bad mouth you. Good luck with your brake swap.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I did not run this kit on any of my trucks, so I dont have an answer to your question. Funny how you can answer 200 questions for someone, but the first time you dont have a response, they take to a forum to bad mouth you. Good luck with your brake swap.

I'm still trying to figure out what the benefit would be to installing 3rd gen brakes on a 4th gen. only thing I could imagine is if the rotor is smaller you could run smaller rims than 17".

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I'm still trying to figure out what the benefit would be to installing 3rd gen brakes on a 4th gen. only thing I could imagine is if the rotor is smaller you could run smaller rims than 17".

That is the benefit. This kit allows you to run a 15" rear wheel.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is the benefit. This kit allows you to run a 15" rear wheel.

Would you say the braking of a SSBC kit for a 3rd gen out performs or is equal to a OEM larger set up for street or Road course track use? I know this is just an opinion but I value your opinion and experience.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Would you say the braking of a SSBC kit for a 3rd gen out performs or is equal to a OEM larger set up for street or Road course track use? I know this is just an opinion but I value your opinion and experience.

I highly doubt it. It looks like it uses a factory single piston caliper and rotor diametre. If anything it might have less braking power than the factory 4th gen setup. The only thing to gain would be running a smaller rim size.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly doubt it. It looks like it uses a factory single piston caliper and rotor diametre. If anything it might have less braking power than the factory 4th gen setup. The only thing to gain would be running a smaller rim size.

Guess I need to read into things better, I thought this was a SSBC caliper not a OEM caliper, maybe I am still missing something but I don't find that they even produce a rear caliper for a 3rd gen.
Basically what I have come to learn no matter what avenue I look down is that there is no semi inexpensive option for a brake set up. I figure the smallest wheel I would ever be running would be a 17 for road track use but would be nice to bolt up a 15 with a slick to get more sidewall... but the more I wish in one hand the more the other fills up with... well ya'll know the phrase.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Guess I need to read into things better, I thought this was a SSBC caliper not a OEM caliper, maybe I am still missing something but I don't find that they even produce a rear caliper for a 3rd gen.
Basically what I have come to learn no matter what avenue I look down is that there is no semi inexpensive option for a brake set up. I figure the smallest wheel I would ever be running would be a 17 for road track use but would be nice to bolt up a 15 with a slick to get more sidewall... but the more I wish in one hand the more the other fills up with... well ya'll know the phrase.

It may be a SSBC brand caliper but it doesn't appear to be anything special, it looks OEM style. It seems like a fair bit of messing around for not much return. Sure you could fit a 15" slick, get more sidewall. I'd imagine you would need to be putting down a lot of power to actually be at that point. Lots of guys running 17" or larger that are running stupid fast numbers.

To each their own though.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

questions that have to do with buying your parts of course you would answer that i would to if is going to bring money in.
bad mouth you i just said something that is true i said you totally ignored me when i asked a question on messenger never talked bad about you never had but if you want to take it that way so be it.....all you could have said sorry never did the swap cant help you or dont open the message if you got nothing to say. if i ask you questions is because you know your stuff and i had guys telling me you did the swap thats why i asked you but i guess i was informed wrong. anyways
thank you

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may be a SSBC brand caliper but it doesn't appear to be anything special, it looks OEM style. It seems like a fair bit of messing around for not much return. Sure you could fit a 15" slick, get more sidewall. I'd imagine you would need to be putting down a lot of power to actually be at that point. Lots of guys running 17" or larger that are running stupid fast numbers.

To each their own though.

i think the caliper bracket straps that go on the plaelte and hold the caliper in place go inner of the plate meaning on the rear and i have them in front i just got ofg the phone with ssbc and they explained a little so hopefully thats the only thing i neesld to get this issue fixed..... and if everything is correct and works proper im looking to seeing 650+ hp to the wheel shooting for 750 but i might get to the 700hp range will see how this project comes out should be ready by beginning of sept or mid september

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

it is an ssbc caliper the whole kit is

and yes the reason for this conversion is to fit a 15inch wheel smaller wheel taller and wider tire

and the kit is not plug and play you have to modify many things remove axles not easy im done but not trying to figure out watt i did wrong as calipera os touching router runs brakes well but it mght break and sounds horrible so i nees to get that fixed

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you post up a part or kit number please?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk