Brake Hold / Auto Brake Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Mercedes had that. At a stop you just press the brake extra hard and it holds the brakes until you press the brake pedal again or the gas. I thought it was dumb at first but I found myself using it more and more until it became second-nature. That said, my Ram obviously doesn't have it but I don't really miss it TBH.
I would bet that yours does have it. It was on my 2010, 2014, and now my 2019. Look in the menu and I think you will find an option to switch it off.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105304 miles.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't think my 2009 Dodge Ram had it & when i bought my 2016, i did not think i would use it at first.
I don't stop at many hills that have a steep incline, but there are 2 places where i use it, both places are sort of strange, for some reason the driver behind me at those places, tend to crowd my rear bumper.
I drove Standard Shift Transmissions only for many years & old habits still hang around, most of the time, the vehicles were 10 wheelers & larger

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i am aware that my truck has the hill start assist, there may be 4 hills that the hill start assist may activate in my area. i use the parking brake as my stop and go hold at stop lights.
thanks for your reply
Been driving since I was 14 and I am now 72 never before have I ever known or heard of anyone using the parking brake when stopping at a red light or stop sign. This is a complete new concept, must put a lot of ware on the parking brake with all that stop and go around town.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 19 Laramie does not have the Auto-hold feature my wife’s 2021 Santa Fe has.

When I’m stopped at stop light I reach down and apply the parking brake. When the light turns green , i just tap the accelerator and the parking brake releases and i drive away.

I’ve also just put the truck in park at a red light and roll the switch to drive, again after the light turns green and drive off.
Why would you do that? Does your foot get tired resting on the brake pedal?

Been driving since I was 14 and I am now 72 never before have I ever known or heard of anyone using the parking brake when stopping at a red light or stop sign. This is a complete new concept, must put a lot of ware on the parking brake with all that stop and go around town.
I never have, either.

OP
OP
M

Mike1C5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think some here have missed the point. The Hill Decent button is not the same as the Brake Hold I am referring to. Hill decent obviously works only on an incline. It does not work on flat terrain. Brake Hold is a feature that allows the driver to not have to hold their foot on the brake while stopped at a red light or drive thru lane. When you are ready to move again you simply push the accelerator pedal. It’s that simple. I realize not everyone is a fan but comparing Hill Decent to Brake Hold isn’t a fair comparison. They were created for two totally different applications.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the trucks do have it, not as a button but it just automatically does it. But you have to be on an uphill incline.
Must be enabled in U Connect also.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The parking brake thing isn't new to me, but it's been a while. Used to do that when I had a commute in a very hilly town and had a manual transmission car with a hand brake by the console. Never did that with a foot operated parking brake, though, and never with an automatic...just used 2 feet if I had to.

Concerning hill assist, how does that work in tow haul mode with a trailer? Does it hold the trailer brakes on also. I've never really paid attention, though I have noticed it on hills when I haven't been towing.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The parking brake thing isn't new to me, but it's been a while. Used to do that when I had a commute in a very hilly town and had a manual transmission car with a hand brake by the console. Never did that with a foot operated parking brake, though, and never with an automatic...just used 2 feet if I had to.

Concerning hill assist, how does that work in tow haul mode with a trailer? Does it hold the trailer brakes on also. I've never really paid attention, though I have noticed it on hills when I haven't been towing.
Yes, since hill assist activates your truck's brake system it should apply the trailer brakes also. Being in Tow/Haul mode would have no effect on whether or not the hill assist works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357