Thoughts on Fuel Injector Replacement. 150,000 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keithb7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi folks, I am interested in hearing your technical advice and comments around replacement of all the fuel injectors in my 2009 5.7L Hemi. My truck is all stock, well maintained and approaching 150,000 miles. My fuel pump quit and was replaced at about 100,000 miles. As far as I know, there is no traditional type of replaceable fuel filter on these trucks.

Currently my truck is averaging about 15-16 MPG hi-way. I have the crew cab, 5 ft box with a canopy on it. I am running 20" studded snow tires currently. In Canada snow is already on the mountain passes. About 12-13 MPG in hilly city terrain where I live. New, the economy certainly was better.

The engine uses no oil between changes. The oil is changed immediately when the dash indicator goes off. I use quality oil and filters. No hard life towing. I would estimate 75% or so of the engine's entire life has been hi-way use.

I am thinking the fuel injectors should getting dirty, effecting fuel economy. I am not hearing a miss or rough idle. I have not been adding any fuel conditioner to help keep the injectors clean over the past 150,000 miles. Is that idea a moot point by now? Maybe I'll run some engine top end cleaner through the fuel system anyway. Spark-plugs, I personally replaced this spring. Air filter is new. Ignition coils are stock.

Thoughts on installing new or reman injectors at this point? I am not the type to run things to failure to achieve maximum life of the part. The part will eventually fail. I'd just rather repair and maintain the truck under my terms. Not during unplanned breakdowns.

I have seen the black tar that comes out of well used fuel filters. My Ram 1500 without a fuel filter is odd to me. All that tiny black crap found in a fuel filter could be pushed through the injectors. Boring out the spray nozzles. Wearing tight tolerances. Lowering fuel injector pressure. Plugging injector nozzles. Is that what's going on here? Is there a serviceable screen in the injector?

Your comments are appreciated.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i wouldnt throw new injectors at something just because. seems like a waste of money if they are giving you no signs of any issues. run a good fuel system cleaner through the tank and call it a day. you could even take your injectors out and have them cleaned/tested if you are really picky about it, but its not something i would personally do until there was an issue. most modern gas vehicles havent had serviceable fuel filters in years. nothing new there and not much to worry about.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Redline SI- 1 is a good fuel system cleaner you should use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have used techron with good results. Cheap enough to use a few times consecutively to see if it helps.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easy way is a cheap scanner and see what the fuel trims are, some are good at showing duty cycle as well. The trims will show if the truck is adding fuel to compensate for something, or pulling fuel from other issues like an air leak somwhere. This will tell you if the injectors are dirty/clogged. Unless I was getting a misfire code or something to tell me the injectors are bad they are the last thing I would mess with.