Valve Body and MM Ported Intake(Unrelated)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Whats up everyone! It's been a little while for me. I got really into tropical fish and they are expensive :roflsquared: Done spending money there though so it's back to the truck.

I have quite a few things on order(all a surprise) :naughty::naughty:

Anyway, the transmission may or may not be coming out and I was wondering if anyone found another upgraded valve body. Sharadon doesn't seem to sell them anymore and i have no clue what superstreet's website is(if that's the right name) Or is it still impossible to get one of these.

Second question, didn't feel like making another thread. Has anyone gotten the Modern Muscle Ported intake? Any review on it? Or is it only worth it on the strip?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You have the 8 speed yes? That is a pretty good transmission as is. I have no clue, but Sharadon has in the past taken in valve bodies, or offered to, w/o a donor and rebuilt them. Problem is you would be w/o use of your truck for a couple weeks. Sharadons main issue was getting donors, maybe search the junk yard. f you are committed, I would call them and ask. I would say guys still have super clean oil coming off of those 8 speeds even at 100k miles. Another option to pick up some crazy performance for cheap is to upgrade your transmission oil to ester based. You might want to research that, using esters puts 30 degrees in the bank of your tranny plus not does not shear down, the base stays solid.

To be honest I am so impressed with the 8 speed I wouldn't even switch to ester oils until 100k, and unless there is a problem or you are planning on needing a lot of performance, I wouldn't worry about the valve body upgrade. So what's going on with the tranny and do you heavy tow or anything like that would be my question?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have the 8 speed yes? That is a pretty good transmission as is. I have no clue, but Sharadon has in the past taken in valve bodies, or offered to, w/o a donor and rebuilt them. Problem is you would be w/o use of your truck for a couple weeks. Sharadons main issue was getting donors, maybe search the junk yard. f you are committed, I would call them and ask. I would say guys still have super clean oil coming off of those 8 speeds even at 100k miles. Another option to pick up some crazy performance for cheap is to upgrade your transmission oil to ester based. You might want to research that, using esters puts 30 degrees in the bank of your tranny plus not does not shear down, the base stays solid.

To be honest I am so impressed with the 8 speed I wouldn't even switch to ester oils until 100k, and unless there is a problem or you are planning on needing a lot of performance, I wouldn't worry about the valve body upgrade. So what's going on with the tranny and do you heavy tow or anything like that would be my question?

I have the 6 speed actually! forgot to mention that. I suppose I could look at junkyards for one but id probably have to buy the whole tranny. I have some performance upgrades coming so I figured I would firm up shifts if I could.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sharadon was one of few options when they first came out, but now that the tranny has been out a while I would bet there are a lot of upgrades you can get out there. The fact that they aren't concentrating on VB's should alert you to think about that. Do some searches, at one time that was my next Mod, now I will pass on it. Don't poo poo esters, in the tranny they really make a difference. I hope you at least have some good gearing to go with that 6 speed, I hate my 3.55's but just have too much in the hopper to worry about truck mods right now.

So I was thinking about the 545RFE when I wrote that, unfortunately the 65RFE what you got was such a limited run and still so new, maybe there aint a lot out there. I wonder how prevalent your tranny is in other vehicles, may help your cause if there are a lot out there. I wonder if the upgrades on the 545rfe would work on your transmsion as well, I guess they are very similar. I'm sure there is too much risk there to try it, I know I wouldn't.

I came across a thread from another Ram forum, looks like Sharadon does have a VB for your application, call them directly. Same issue, no Cores. I'm sure there are nowhere near the options for the 65RFE as there is the 545RFE. GL, b

Maybe Sharadon should charge even more for a core charge and send out a self addressed package for return. Seams like people aren't sending back their cores. ****** deal there. As for other options, looks like quicker shifts is what is available check trans-go, not so much firmer shifts, and it really sucks this is the case as we all would gladly pay an extra grand or two to have a truck that shifts firm. Looks like transgo is fairly a simple install, maybe put esters if you chnage the fluid as well. All of the manu's are leaving money on the table to have these so called comfortable operating transmissions. It has been our reality since the 90's, maybe even the 80's. It just proves truck guys are the ones designing these trucks.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I have the 6 speed actually! forgot to mention that. I suppose I could look at junkyards for one but id probably have to buy the whole tranny. I have some performance upgrades coming so I figured I would firm up shifts if I could.

I have the 6 speed and had a valve body job done and it turned out really bad. The 4th gen valve body unit is very good stock, I would leave it alone and get a torque converter. I'm ordering mine next week.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The only real reason to upgrade the valve body is to make the 12 shift complete on time instead of having it blow through the shift like it can do with a lot of gear, a higher stall converter, and shorter drag radials.

With the stock valve body, I had my shift points set around 6000, but it wouldnt complete the shift until 6600-6800rpm sometimes on the 1-2 shift. After the valve body, it would make the shift at 6050-6100rpm which was perfect. The Superstreet Valvebody was only designed to improve that 1 shift though, so its not so much of a performance upgrade as it is a consistency/reliability upgrade.

Valvebody, ported intake, and 3.5" y-pipe (from 3") was worth .1 and 1mph in the 1/4 on my 2011.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have the 6 speed and had a valve body job done and it turned out really bad. The 4th gen valve body unit is very good stock, I would leave it alone and get a torque converter. I'm ordering mine next week.

There are a few of these experiences out there and why I took it off my list of to do's.