Vararam intake VS KN intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agallegos69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thoughts on vararam intake

Thoughts on KN cold air intake

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a K&N cold air intake, I like it and it did improve my gas mileage and response power. I do like the way the vararam looks, can't afford to buy one and eat the K&N AirFilter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
From what I have read I think the Vararam has the best performance characteristics

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you're looking at the vararam, it's the best performing intake on the 4th gen, the next best is the S&B which is the best closed filter intake available and what I would be running if I had an intake that didn't also have a compressor wheel.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Would not even think they were in the same class, Vararam all the way.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) I agree--the VARARAM is the ONLY CAI, with no cool airflow restrictions and

the broadest/largest cool airflow intake, without channeled linear airflow directional introduction to the Throttle Body-

In simple terms--properly installed it's the best aftermkt CAI for the stock RAM HEMI jnstallation/operation !

This doesn't apply to any of the Dodge/Chrysler NON-TRUCK HEMI'S-

The cars, just don't have all that room we're lucky to have in the RAM engine compartments-

Whatever-

:crazy: JIMBO

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the K&N on when I bought it and switched to the Vararam.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just had the Vararam installed and with the 91 Tune via Hemifever she is literally a screamer, no joshing. I should have also mentioned the long tubes in my original post so sorry.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) The Tank tells it like it is !

Don't forget to check to make sure the air filter thumbscrews are tight and the intake temp sensor is nice and snug--

Good to go--

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the S&B and wish I got the vararam.

Anyone run the vararam during the winter with snow? I live in New England and went with the S&B because of peoples thoughts on the snow being sucked into the system.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Anyone run the vararam during the winter with snow? I live in New England and went with the S&B because of peoples thoughts on the snow being sucked into the system.

thankfully this is not an issue for me, I hope to hear from the folks where snow is plentiful as well:happy107:

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) I've driven mine during last winters snow/w no effect. but-

thankfully this is not an issue for me, I hope to hear from the folks where snow is plentiful as well:happy107:

I've read several threads of guys in Canada and East US, that noticed some buildup, during heavy storms--

It could be a problem, without a mobile screen for snow storms-

Good luck

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Several people around me ran them the first winter they had them but have removed them for the following winters and put the stock air box back in.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured as much. I LOVE the sound of an open CAI instead of a closed intake system, but not a huge fan of hydro shock either.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
I prefer K&N over Vararam. The sound of the K&N/open intake style is not comparable to the Vararam IMO. K&N sounds great at partial and full throttle. I only could hear the vararam at WOT.
Vararam does have bigger gains WOT from what I could tell though, no mistaking that. But no CAI is going to give you real world big HP like headers or a tune...

My other problem with vararam is no one can explain to me how it can be sooooo beneficial when the damn active shutters are closed and completely blocking the intake! I know they are only closed when cruising and such but at that point I feel that its being more restrictive than helpful...just my opinion though

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I prefer K&N over Vararam. The sound of the K&N/open intake style is not comparable to the Vararam IMO. K&N sounds great at partial and full throttle. I only could hear the vararam at WOT.
Vararam does have bigger gains WOT from what I could tell though, no mistaking that. But no CAI is going to give you real world big HP like headers or a tune...

My other problem with vararam is no one can explain to me how it can be sooooo beneficial when the damn active shutters are closed and completely blocking the intake! I know they are only closed when cruising and such but at that point I feel that its being more restrictive than helpful...just my opinion though
IMHO, noise should come from your exhaust, not your throttle body.

The loud gasping sound at idle is a bit of a ****** too--its not a supercharger, it shouldn't gasp like one.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what it's worth... I had the closed Mopar cai and swapped to the vararam. Noticed an increase in throttle response.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Again I think it all boils do to personal preference. I have a K&N cold air intake and I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I highly either of them do much of anything below atleast 70 mph..Just not alot of air flowing through..

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I highly either of them do much of anything below atleast 70 mph..Just not alot of air flowing through..
You do realize that for each gear shift the engine rpm increases right?

Whether I'm doing 70 mph or accelerating from a dead stop, 3,000 rpm is the same, and the Cubic Feet Per Minute (CFM) demand by the engine will be very similar.

At wide open throttle the engine may use upwards of 450 CFM, but that's almost the same as just before shift points at 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 etc.

The air filter has to pass a lot of air no matter how far above dead stop you are moving.