What's​ your oil filter k&n,fram, Mopar?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not just change filter and top off and see if that proves your point? I had the same thing happen with puro synthetic, then went to RP immediately and tick was gone. The only time my engine ticked on redline and only for a second at start up, now tick free for 5 years.

I say to every person cut open your filters after your oil change like many of us do. That is why I wont be using paper filters again.

Ya I'm gunna, when it cools off. Its been 96+ degrees the last few days its cooking back down next weekend. Going back with the mopars.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I might stick with the Mopar as well.

When I bought my leftover 2016 in April (2017), one of my first concerns was the original oil filter. I knew it was likely 2 years sitting in oil. After a few weeks it was really weighing on my mind, but I still wanted to run it up to about 1000 miles before changing the Factory Fill.

Finally after about a month I took it to the Dealership Express dealy and explained to the Manager/Writer about it being the original filter on a leftover. He "sorta" got it, but they didn't have PUP OR PP, the only synthetic they stocked was Mobil 1 which was weird to me, but they DID have Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional 2w20 which I chose for the 1st change.

While I didn't cut the Mopar apart, I know for a fact they will go 2 years, and even if I find PUP, or just use PP or Amsoil, I'll probably change mine every 7500 anyway.

And I've read in the Syn Oil thread that the Mopar is a good filter, for a paper one....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
M Slaw dog, don't buy into a name, cut that filter open. Paper doesn't last past three months period. Your engine is still running good because when the binders that hold the cellulose fibers become stiff because of heat cycles, contamination, and time, holes blow through the filter and you get full flow, but zero filtering. How do you think you are getting filtering when the paper is stiffer then cardboard? It isn't happening bro, the micron rating for Mopar filter at 3 months is somewhere around pea gravel. It isn't a knock on any brand, but some brands have decided the benefit of spun micro glass, it never degrades.

Royal Purple magnified 250 times cellulose versus spun micro glass under a microscope. I cut a Royal Purple filter open after 14 months it was still pliable and soft.

better_Oil_Filter_1.jpg

Better_Oil_Filter_2.jpg

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
WIX filters or napa gold.

both great filters. long lasting media.

funny how people with a truck with a 10,000 engine cheap out on a crappy filter, like a fram etc.

or, if a diesel, make it 15,000.

buy a quality filter comrades.

cheers

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I've ran Mopar's SRT filters (built for the larger 6.4 SRT engines, but work fine on 5.7 motors too), Purolator PureOne, and Wix XP. Maybe a random Royal Purple filter here, a random K&N there. I'm currently using Wix XP, and they work just great. Spend a little more on a quality filter, why cheap out on something so small compared to the cost of vehicles.

I will never run Purolators again... had one collapse on my 2010 Dakota. It had about 8k on the oil, which is a little more than I like to run, but the high-end PureOne filters should run more than that without collapsing internally.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used fram ultra and currently have a Mobil 1 oil filter. No issues with either.