ZF 8HP70 - 8spd Auto Filter & Fluid Change - DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
VIDEO IS UP!

Finally got around to changing the fluid in my ZF 8HP70

This is FAR more simple to do than my 09 Hemi with the conventional 5 speed. Less mess, didn't have to make gaskets and screw around with RTV and was much quicker! Also the exhaust was not in the way of me removing the pan so that was a relief!

I would definitely recommend changing the fluid at least around 90k miles as my fluid was a bit dirty but nothing too alarming. Seemed like the perfect time to be changing the fluid given the light duty my truck has seen.

Any questions feel free to ask!

https://youtu.be/mNo9Ln5KrOE
ram%208psd.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
All the way awesome, thanks for the write up. That oil looked really good for the mileage, I wonder what a blackstone report woulda looked like.

What is that car in the back ground? Nice

Last edited:

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great video. Was actually quite surprised that the pan was able to be removed with the exhaust still in place. Most automatics I've serviced (not ZF) had the valve body extending down into the pan a bit, which if the case on the ZF would require gaining more clearance by dropping the exhaust. Again, great video!

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Thanks for posting!!!! When I go to do mine I want to go with the new PPE aliumimum pan. Great video!!! I still am investigating if we can run Redline tranny fluid or if we need to run the Zf-8 fluids. I still only have only 25000 on mine so a ways to go!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Email Redline Hipps, be thorough in your question. Was the replacement fluid pink?

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome video, thanks for sharing. Got yourself a new subscriber.
Looks pretty easy overall. Fluid was cleaner than I would have expected at 90k.

Thanks! Yeah I was honestly suspecting it to be a bit worse but looks like everything is healthy in there!

All the way awesome, thanks for the write up. That oil looked really good for the mileage, I wonder what a blackstone report woulda looked like.

What is that car in the back ground? Nice

I agree! The car is a Viper GTS ACR. I have a bunch of other videos on my channel as well of my mods/service to that car too.

Great video. Was actually quite surprised that the pan was able to be removed with the exhaust still in place. Most automatics I've serviced (not ZF) had the valve body extending down into the pan a bit, which if the case on the ZF would require gaining more clearance by dropping the exhaust. Again, great video!

Thanks! Yeah I was a bit worried I would have to mess with the exhaust but luckily I didn't!

Thanks for posting!!!! When I go to do mine I want to go with the new PPE aliumimum pan. Great video!!! I still am investigating if we can run Redline tranny fluid or if we need to run the Zf-8 fluids. I still only have only 25000 on mine so a ways to go!

Yeah I debated that pan too but it was a bit pricey and for me personally I would spend my money on using the correct fluid or other performance mods. :naughty:

I honestly wouldn't mess with experimenting with other fluids. This fluid was really odd. I couldn't believe how thin it was, it literally sounded like water splashing around in the bottle. If you do a google search for ZF transmission fluid services the german forum guys have been servicing these same transmissions for years. ALL of them are pretty strict about using the correct fluid and warn about switching.

Put it this way. Look at how clean my fluid looks at 90k+ miles. How often do you REALLY need to or plan on changing the fluid? At the life we get out of this fluid, depending how long you keep your truck for it won't have to be done very often. There is a YouTube video of guy with a EcoDiesel experimenting with running Valvoline Max Life transmission fluid but he has changed it several times within a 180k miles I believe so where are the savings? Also this raises the question as to why he needed to change it several times and what is breaking down in his transmission to be tarnishing the oil?

At $22 a bottle buying 8 online I spent less than $200 on fluid. Not a big deal at all and not worth being a guinea pig with another oil.

Awesome video. Very surprised to see how clean the fluid was!

Thanks! I was pretty surprised also!

Email Redline Hipps, be thorough in your question. Was the replacement fluid pink?

Replacement fluid was a clear with green hue.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So the green hue or pink hue pr even blue is just a dye so people don't put it in the crank case. Most dye's don't last, the pink seams to last longer but even the pink will turn to brown if left in long enough.

Hipps wants to run redline because of the ester base. But Redline only makes c+ with a visc of 7, so I don't know if that would fly or not. The benefits of ester oils in transmission are very well documented. The tranny will be able to operate in higher temps under load by 30 degrees more, will not loose viscosity over time, will run cleaner, and will most of the time operate cooler, and shift smoother then with any mineral oil. It may be that the oil you have is an ester base, I would hope so at 22 dollars a qrt. I certainty think it doesn't harm anything to research it. You may be right, that may be the best option or only option. I know other oil companies have made formulas for that transmission.

From what I read on the transmission, Redine wouldn't be an option. The viscosity is too thin. Quantum blue makes a fluid for that, just if you want to price compare. But, maybe the best play is to just get the OEM ****, but damn 22 bucks a qrt is abusive. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, I was WRONG, someone should vote me off the island?

Redline does make an oil for this, their D6ATF is what they recommend, so it is very different then their c+.

Hold the phone, looking at visc at 100 it is 6.4. Does anyone know the visc at 100 of the OEM fluid? Looks thinner then 6.4 to my eye?

Well, here ya go the Redline spec.
Redline D6atf spec ZF-LG 6, 6+ and 8 fluids.

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Good read:
https://www.oildepot.ca/dodge-dealer-home-of-1000-atf-flush/

Yup here it is listed on Redline webpage down at the bottom.

Synthetic D6 ATF is a lower viscosity version of the D4ATF and is designed for better fuel efficiency in CAFE testing. Dexron VI requires a different approach to a conventional ATF formulation. Rather than beginning with a 7.5 cSt fluid and allowing a viscosity loss in use to drop to 5.5 cSt, the Dexron VI fluid requires a starting viscosity of less than 6.4 and a final drop to no less than 5.5 cSt. Red Line D6 will drop to no less than 6.1 cSt. Since the final viscosity after use of these fluids are similar, Dexron VI fluids can be used where Dexron III fluids
were previously recommended (with the exception of some manual transmission applications, our customers report).

D6 ATF also provides significantly improved gear protection and will provide a GL-4 level of gear protection. The balanced frictional characteristics provide smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals. The superior stability compared to petroleum ATFs allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches which leads to transmission failure.

Popular product and application crossover:

Dexron® VI (GM #88861003), Mercon® SP, Mercon® LV, Mercon®, Dexron® III '99 on automatic applications

BMW - Dexron® VI - BMW #83 22 0 432 807, 83 22 0 397 114
('06 on 6L45E X3, 6L809E, '07 on 3 Series, '08 on 1 Series with GM GA6L45R 6 speed automatic)

Ford Mercon® SP - XT-6-QSP
(Torque Shift 5-speed Automatic 5R110W, '03 on 6.0 liter diesel trucks, 2005-09 V-10, ZF 6HP26 6R60/6R75)

Ford Mercon® LV - XT-10-QLV
('08- Focus, '09- F-150, F-250SD, Expedition, Navigator 6R80)

Honda/Acura DW-1, Acura ATF Type 3.0

Mercedes Fuchs/Mobil/Shell 3353, MB Sheet 236.12 (NAG-2, 722.9,
7 speed transmission - MB # A001 989 45 03 10)

Mercedes Mobil/Shell ATF 134, Fuchs/Titan 4134 (MB Sheet 236.14 NAG-2, 722.9 7G-Tronic supersedes 3353, MB # 001 989 68 03 10)

Mercedes - Dexron® VI MB Sheet 236.41 (722.550 8 speed
ML Class hybrid type 164.195)

Mitsubishi Dia Queen ATF-J2, Mitsubishi # 4040610, 4031610

Mitsubishi SP-IV - Hyundai SP-IV - Kia SPH-IV

NissanMatic S

Toyota/Lexus WS, AW-1 - JWS 3324, NWS09638
(VW/Audi 0C8 8 speed # G 055 540, SAAB '03 on 9-3 6 speed # 93 165 147, Volvo # 31 256 774, 31 256 775)

ZF Lifeguard 6 & 6 Plus - Shell M1375.4
('02 on 6 & 7 Series, '06 on 3, 5 Series and X5 with ZF 6 speed automatic BMW# 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 0 144 137, 83 22 0 406 929, VW/AUDI # G 055 005, G 055 162 )

ZF Lifeguard 8 - Shell M-L12108
(BMW # 83 22 2 152 426 and VW/AUDI # G 060 162)

Dexron is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.
Mercon is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.

I know when I do my 8 speed service....I'll be switching to redline and an aluminum pan with higher fluid capacity as well as a full synthetic fluid. :favorites13:

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That was a good find, but still lacking Ram spec by name. Anyhow, sorry to OP for turning this into a Redline commercial. But I hope he understands there is some value in finding options to that 22 dollar stuff, and since the question was posed directly, I looked into it.

Let's get this thread back on track, great write up for you boys and your ZF 8 speeds. I really wish I had one in my 2010, read the wiki on them, good stuff.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was a good find, but still lacking Ram spec by name. Anyhow, sorry to OP for turning this into a Redline commercial. But I hope he understands there is some value in finding options to that 22 dollar stuff, and since the question was posed directly, I looked into it.

Let's get this thread back on track, great write up for you boys and your ZF 8 speeds. I really wish I had one in my 2010, read the wiki on them, good stuff.

Nah I don't mind discussion of oil at all! I just know I researched it and debated going with an alternative but concluded that there are still not any guaranteed alternatives besides using ravenol which is pretty much the same price that I got the actual ZF fluid for.

I definitely would not advise to use an oil that specs out to work for a long list of multiple applications as this is not a run of the mill transmission and differs from a conventional valve body transmission. I don't see any reason to toot about "switching to a full synthetic" when clearly my oil lasted nicely for nearly 100k miles so I don't think quality is lacking.

Heres the Ravenol full synthetic fluid for anyone curious
RAVENOL ATF 8HP Fluid - Ravenol

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
D6 works perfectly fine!
Brother-in-Law has been running it for over 2 years with Zero Issues! Shifts are silky smooth! Temps are running actually a bit cooler. He has drained his pan twice.

I already have 3Qts in mine due to my spin-on-filter changes.
I even now run it in my Transfer-Case.

Shawn ran Maxlife ATF in his 8HP70 for over 150K miles with NO issues with more then your normal abuse every night on his long runs. I know he was a bit far out there but he did have some very good ideas!

He literally proved thousands wrong by following his own research & common sense and going against the so called (recommend) fluid drama basket & used non-recommend fluids in both the BW44-44 & 8HP70 for well over 200K miles with nothing but stellar performance from both!
"For that he had my upmost respect"

SyN Disclaimer: I know 220*F is not Ideal for any ATF. My 8HP70/Transfer-Case/Rearend are the Heart & Soul MY Ram. I want the most robust ATF flowing within its veins!
I feel the D6 is that ATF. Especially during the summer months with the medium duty towing. I will run it due to I feel it gives my 8HP70 the best chances of reaching & going beyond 200-300K miles with Zero Issues. It is just a huge Piece of Mind.

Thank You OMalley! For your great how too video! It will help many of us Whom aren't scared to get our hands dirty & save ourselves a ton of $$$ & do it ourselves! By the way the inside of your pan looked extremely clean for the amount of miles. Big Thumbs Up!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for posting that, that was great and explains why that is 22 bucks.

It is rare to see PAO's in use these days. from link
RAVENOL ATF 8HP Fluid is a fully synthetic ATF produced on the basis of Hydrocrack base oils and PAO with a special additivation and inhibition which guarantees a perfect function of the automatic transmission.

So since you asked, and I will leave it there, this would be the benefit.

Under load or heat, esters benefit over PAO. So in extreme duty situations, esters are really the only options. The more extreme, the more you can only use esters. However, PAO's are also really good base stocks. Both need to be mixed with hydro cracked oils, nobody ever knows the percentage. But on spec sheets the difference usually shows up somewhere. Thanks for posting that up, no doubt that oil is also better then any group 3 oil you will find. It is true synthetic and the price isn't that far out of line.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for posting that, that was great and explains why that is 22 bucks.

It is rare to see PAO's in use these days. from link
RAVENOL ATF 8HP Fluid is a fully synthetic ATF produced on the basis of Hydrocrack base oils and PAO with a special additivation and inhibition which guarantees a perfect function of the automatic transmission.

So since you asked, and I will leave it there, this would be the benefit.

Under load or heat, esters benefit over PAO. So in extreme duty situations, esters are really the only options. The more extreme, the more you can only use esters. However, PAO's are also really good base stocks. Both need to be mixed with hydro cracked oils, nobody ever knows the percentage. But on spec sheets the difference usually shows up somewhere. Thanks for posting that up, no doubt that oil is also better then any group 3 oil you will find. It is true synthetic and the price isn't that far out of line.

:happy107: