03 ram 1500 4x4 driveshaft grind/ diff leak. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgeram1500griff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, new guy here..

I'm driving my truck.. 112,000 miles no issues until today. I turn down a dirt road and drive maybe 1/4 mile and I hear a noise that sounds like a grind or a dragging sound.. So I think either I've got a flat or maybe my ebrake might be engaged.. Tires fine.. So I start driving and the noise comes and goes.. Loud/ not loud. I pull over and I notice a slight leak which looks to originate from the point where the drive shaft connects to the differential.. Its not dripping its just wet. So I come home.. Once I get on pavement after about a mile the noise stops. Took it easy on the way home ( maybe a 15 mile ride) no noise, no vibration, no smell.. Nothing..

My main concern is in reading info on google ; the rear ends seem to fail regularly on this generation truck.. And I can't really get into a shop until Wednesday when I'm off.. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong? I'm freaking out because I don't have 2000$ to dump on a repair or the ability to buy a new vehicle..

Help!

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a pinion seal. Not expensive parts wise but a bit of a pain. Is it only leaking right at the connection between the DS and diff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could pull the diff cover and inspect the actual gears....lift the rear end, put the truck in neutral and spin the DS and look for play. Look for any metal shavings as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both of my diffs leak. Just changed the pinion seal on the rear. The front is still sweating but I'm holding off to do gears all the way around. The front gears are wasted and it kind of ridiculous that they are

danburch73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 MegaCab
I'm thinking I may have this issue with my 06 Ram. Every once in a while I will see a drop or 2 under the rear of the truck, I went under to wipe everything up and look for a leak. I cant find one but it seems that the underside of the bed and gas tank are getting "sprayed" with diff fluid.
Does this sound like the pinion seal to anyone?? Thanx in advance,

DAN