Need help with leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My2ndgen678

Reaction score
Ram Year
My son has a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 . We noticed about a month ago that his floor board on the drivers side was getting wet after rain. A few times, it has leaked so bad that it formed puddles. We assumed that it was the worn seals around the top of door so we purchased and replaced them as well as the seal around the interior door window. After testing with a water hose, it was determined that this was not the source of the leak. We cannot figure out where the leak is coming from. The floor board behind the pedals are not wet. Just the flat part under the floor mat. The floor board in the back seat area is also dry. Its mainly under the mat and along the edges of the door trim at the base. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is his 1st vehicle, as he is a teenager, and we are trying to get it repaired so that he can enjoy driving it but we just dont know where else to look for the leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

blue ghost

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
You didn't say if it had a sunroof, but figured you did not. Would check behind the back seats to see if they are wet there. It would tell you if the window or brake light is leaking. Good luck

OP
OP
M

My2ndgen678

Reaction score
Ram Year
No sunroof. The back seats and fabric behind the seats is dry. Cargo/brake light also looks good and doesn't show any cracks in the seal. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it!

Emerald96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I had the same issue with my 96 a few years ago. Water was leaking same as you have described. It took me forever to figure it out. The water was getting in from where the side view mirror is attached. The seal over the years must have dried out. You will need to remove the inner door panel to get access to remove the mirror screws. I then use a rubber gasket sealant all around the mirror where it seams against truck. Never had another leak.