2002 dodge ram 1500: parking brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
Is it normal for ebrake to go almost to floor before it works? dash light does not go out until ebrake is near floor also. :homoswitch:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a stick, so I use mine every time I park. When I bought the truck (used), I redid the brakes all around (including new ebrake hardware). It sounds like you need to adjust the ebrakes. There is an adjustment on the shoes (inside the disc if you have rear discs).

My light stays on unless in the 100% up location. If I even slightly press it, the light comes on. Just like, if when I pull the release, if my foot even slightly touches the pedal as it is coming up, the light will stay on.

(FYI, light should be on when the pedal is pressed, it should be OFF in the fully up position)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, either it needs adjustment or your brake shoes may just be gone...had this happen to me. Good idea to check they're still there before making any adjstments.

OP
OP
S

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
thanks for the smart answers. im satisfied with this site.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
No, either it needs adjustment or your brake shoes may just be gone...had this happen to me. Good idea to check they're still there before making any adjstments.

I agree. I've found that if you have to adjust the e-brake cable, the problem usually lies with the brake shoes themselves. That said, I've not had a truck with rear disks, so that might be a different situation.