Alternator Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I have had a whining sound coming from my truck for the past 15,000 miles and was pretty sure it was the Alternator so I have been keeping a close eye on it.

Last week end there was a popping noise so I looked and saw the tension pulley bouncing hard so I knew it was time. I got a new/remanufactured alternator, 2 Idler pulleys and 1 tension pulley (felt this was wise with 210,000 miles on them).

The threaded bushings were pressed in furthered than the factory one and after fighting for 30 minutes, I got one side with bolt started. I spun the alt shaft and it was dragging... At this point I was pissed... Took it back to the store and thank God they replaced it for me but had to order one.

I picked the new one up the next day and noticed the threaded bushings were not pressed in as far. I installed it with no problem. I pulled it out of my garage and let it run for a few minutes and everything looked great. I touched the alternator and it was hot as hell.

This did not seem right because when you sprinkled water on it, it would boil off!! Took it to the store and they did a diagnostic on it (have a dated copy of it just in case) and they said everything was fine and this was normal... Hmmm... Anyways several hundred miles later and all is well. I'll be keeping an eye on this one for awhile.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
cool , glad so far it has all worked out for you . keep us posted . and water should not boil off a alt . IMO

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My alt was whining like that when I bought the truck, had to replace it. And the alt getting hot aint right, but maybe it needs a break in period or something lol

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Touch an alternator on a vehicle after it's been running for a while, it's gonna be hot as hell. After all an alternator uses friction to make electricity so it should be expected to get hot, especially a new one since it's gonna produce the greatest amount of friction when new.